PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fill a misdrilled hole?

Dakarn
07-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I was drilling in the illuminated switch hole and went too far. A regular screw will barely cover the hole but what is the best way to secure it? Epoxy?

You can see it here, its covered by the screw which is secured by putty currently.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n234/coasterg/Celeritas%20Iurisdictor%20Lightsaber/IMG_1139.jpg

Rafalema
07-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Hmm..

Maybe a button head screw? Or new overlay?

Otherwise than that, I don't think there is any other means of doing it easily and making it look good..

But you sir, you have an AWESOME saber project going on! :cool::cool: Can you give any specs?

Crystal Chambers
07-05-2010, 06:34 AM
If I'm not mistaken.....I'd be tempted to make a new sinktube overlay. That would definitely cover it.

Dakarn
07-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Hmm..

Maybe a button head screw? Or new overlay?

Otherwise than that, I don't think there is any other means of doing it easily and making it look good..

But you sir, you have an AWESOME saber project going on! :cool::cool: Can you give any specs?

Sure!

Its going to be a Cree royal blue with a blue dot illuminated AV switch and a Yoda MR soundboard with a 4 AAA battery pack and a TCSS deluxe speaker. The pommel is an Acerocket Obi-Wan.

I'm tempted to redo the shroud but the current one is good other than the hole so I'll probably epoxy the screw in the hole unless there's another way to affix the screw in an oversized hole which would hold it more securely.

Darth Xusia
07-05-2010, 07:19 AM
You could use a heli-coil, perhaps. Just a thought. Nice build. Can't wait to see it finished.

JamoUp
07-05-2010, 07:39 AM
i agree with Crystal, re-cut the sinktube!

Shadar Al'Niende
07-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I think re-doing your skinktube is the best bet. also you need to re-size your images.

Zook
07-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I would recut the shroud but I have successfully filled in AL pieces with JB weld and had it completely unnoticeable but its not easy.

I had an MHS piece I was drilling for an AV switch. I do not know what I was thinking or how I made the mistake but I used my longer step drill bit and was not paying attention when I made the cut and went too far putting a hole in the other side of the hilt.

I JBWelded up the other side leaving a little excess on the outer part. Then I cut it down smooth with the AL (you dont want it recessed).

Next I used my knowledge of body work to fix it. With paint it is really easy. You just primer it and use a long flat piece (like a sanding block) to sand it down and get rid of the natural edge of the repair and make sure its all even and smooth. Then prime it again, sand it with a finer grit paper and apply your final coat.

I used powder and the process is similar but you have to be careful because JB weld does not attract powder (you have to hot coat it) and it will also swell a little the first time you cook it at 400*. I powder coated it, sanded it smooth and put the second coat on. If done right it is impossible to tell that there is a repair.

Treadingwolf
07-05-2010, 09:28 AM
You could also make a second small overlay with left over sink tube to cover it. Split the top maybe 5/16" to 3/8" and make it mimic the shape around the switch and possibly the screw in front of it. Then cut the ends follow the angle of the back end of the original shroud but shorter as to show the layer beneath it. Fasten with button head screws or epoxy, maybe paint it black or take the chrome off and shine up the brass.
That would cover any hole and add an extra small detail to the over all saber. (Which looks amazing by the way!)

Arkhan
07-05-2010, 10:39 AM
so long as you aren't going to try to drill/tap back through it, I would second the vote for JB-weld.

Sand it smooth, paint over it, never happened.

If you can move the screw far enough that the new hole doesn't impact the old one, that is what I would do.

However, if you can't move the screw position, or the repair would not be in a position to be painted, you'll need to find another solution.

Dakarn
07-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I found my solution - but I'm going to do it and then take a photo and see if anyone could really tell the difference. Its elegantly simple.

BTW, I really don't want to redo a sinktube, that's what I was trying to avoid. I like how this one turned out. Well minus the hole from overdrilling the AV switch hole...

Crystal Chambers
07-06-2010, 05:57 AM
another idea would be to drill more holes! For sound vents..lol. Just make sure that the new holes compliment the first and appear to give purpose to all of them.

I like Zook's idea too. It's funny how a mistake can generate new ideas or push you to take a design a step further...agreed it is a nice build. Has a pirate feel to me for some reason...maybe the resemblance of a canon/musket.