PDA

View Full Version : polycarb tube filled with silicon?

vctrsone
07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
polycarbonate tube thin layer of wrap and then completely pumped full of clear silicon?

what do you guys think? this was my first thought on how to make a blade BEFORE I READ all the great threads in this section.

anyway after reading i still thought the silicon mite look really cool...could add something to it to defuse it more maybe and i thought it would be very solid for dueling your wrap would never get damaged. and it would never fly apart lol

so has any one tryed it? and what do you think?

Sunrider
07-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Well, try it & let us know how it turns out. Sounds like a heavy blade but idk. ;)

vctrsone
07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
sweet Im going to as soon as ive got some money..might even experiment with a few short sections of tube first to see how it lights up. silicon isnt too heavy......hmm but to save weight wonder if I could pump it into the outside of the wrap..would give it that cool jelly kinda effect..but would be rather hard to fill up.

mihunai
07-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Well, if you fill it with silicon all the way, it wont diffuse it better to the wall of the blade
itself.

I think the effect you'd get would be similar to this:
Ace's LEGO saber, with a solid acrylic blade (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=21459.0)

Plus, it >would< add a lot of weight.
People are already saying LED-String blades are so much heavier
(like Makoto's blades), let alone a completely solid blade...

The wobbly look of silicon to the sides would be
an interesting idea though.
Maybe with an orange LED to make a Lava Blade.

Just my two credits....

mTm

Skottsaber
07-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Also, the strength of Polycarbonate is that it flexes upon impact slightly.

IMO the sillicon would make it flex either too little or too much depending on the place you strike it.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-04-2010, 11:20 AM
That flexibility is in the polycarbonate material itself it doesnt NEED to be a HOLLOW tube for strength...police batons are made of SOLID polycarbonate [and nearly indestructible] but the hollowness of polycarbonate tubing helps us with making them appear LIGHT sabers...and keeps them lighter sabers too lol :-)

vctrsone
07-05-2010, 11:12 AM
hehe well thats a cool lego saber..but that arcrlic is a little too see through..the silicon would be much more defused looking im ive got some tubing and silicon now...about to get cellaphane and il experiment on little peaces....

I will try a solid tube, just filling around the cellophane and a solid cellophane one and il post some pics when im done...il probably just do like 5" tubes to try it.

cant hurt to try..il just use my off cuts :)

Rafalema
07-05-2010, 11:34 AM
5" tubes and any of our LED's will lit the blade evenly.

To get real results you have to get like 36" blades for real testing.