PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please!

Jedi-Elf
06-30-2010, 02:21 PM
So, I am thinking of getting my MHS pieces powder coated, and I have come up with a few different possible color combos, and I'd like your opinions on which one I should go with. I apologize if this isn't the right place to post this, and if it isn't could some kindly Admin please move it?

Here is the pic of my favorite ideas so far. The color may be a bit off because MS Paint doesn't seem to like to retain the exact colors whenever I copy/paste images and save the file. The colors I used are from the MHS hilt builder and are Psycho Lime, Sun Gold, and either the Super Wet Black or the Solar Flat Black. Silver parts are bare metal.

bubbalew
06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I like first row third from top.

Jedi-Loreen
06-30-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't think Tim does multiple PC colors on the same piece. Better check first.

Jedi-Elf
06-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Good point. Assuming that he would do so though, which design do you like? I have a couple I'm leaning towards but I don't want to say which ones yet.

Crystal Chambers
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
He certainly can't do colours that touch. I think he can do more then one colour. If so they would have to separated by bare aluminum. Like J-lo said best to ask.
He can also do custom PC colours if you order the powder and have it shipped to him.

Sairon
06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I like the third last and second last, personally I would leave the green PCing out. But if thats what you want go for it, it's your saber and not mine.

Jedi-Loreen
06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
I think a little of that Psycho Lime color goes a loooooooong way. I'd use it sparingly.

Rafalema
06-30-2010, 11:26 PM
The last time I checked, Tim only powdercoats ONE (1) color per part.

Skottsaber
07-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Yeah... I bet Tim is looking at this thread and getting a leeetle bit nervous :p

Matt Thorn
07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
I have tried doing two different PC colors on a single piece, and the results were not pretty. You have to do one color first, masking the parts you want to do with a second color. After you've baked the first color, you have to mask in reverse, which is to say, you have to mask the first color. If you don't, there's no way to prevent some powder from the second color getting onto the first color. But when you mask the first color and bake it again, the masking leaves an impression on the first color.

That probably doesn't make much sense, but suffice it to say, trying to do PC in multiple colors on a single piece is a major pain in the derrière. I would be quite surprised if Tim agreed to do that. Then again, he may know tricks that I don't.

cardcollector
07-01-2010, 05:04 AM
I like the one on the bottom left.

since you want so many colors you may want to try taking your time and giving it a nice paint job. You can get decent results with krylon if you do it right.

EDIT:
You might want to consider doing a polle of your top five favorites... there are a lot of different designs...

Crystal Chambers
07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Not only that but with the proper primer, enamel paint, clear coat and baking each step they're more durable then I would have thought. I threw my "Mantis" saber in the gravel (by accident of course) and it only got two very small dots chipped...no visible surface scratches otherwise. It is heavily weathered but any scratches would have been visible in the finish.

Jedi-Elf
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
So it is sounding like the best way to go is painting and not PC because of the difficulty in using more than one color per part. Thanks for the advice! I think I will either try to find someone to do the painting or very very carefully do it myself. Now I just need to decide which color scheme to use, so opinions are still welcome!

Skottsaber
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
I like the fourth one down on the left. ;)

Crystal Chambers
07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
If you go with paint then I would go back to the drawing board since you'd have more colours available. Not only that but the possibility of texture, weathering, and paint finishes are something to consider as well.

Jedi-Elf
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I think I am pretty set on some combo of chrome/bare metal, green, gold and black and as far as texture and weathering I don't think I will worry about that too much since it is my first saber and I want to make it look pretty new so any weathering will occur naturally with use. I have put together a new set of my 6 or 7 favorites which I will probably post as a poll soon.

cordaroyfog
07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I like the 2nd row, 3rd from top