PDA

View Full Version : black nickel

Nomos
06-28-2010, 11:41 PM
I searched, came up dry. (actually, there was a thread from 2006 about chroming a graflex, but it's not quite the same thing I'm asking about.)

I LOVE the dark nickel plating found on some saxophones, especially Cleto's from Jimmy Kimmel Live. I don't want to electroplate that onto an MHS hilt for two reasons 1)I'm not sure it would work on aluminum, and 2) I think it would be price restrictive to get 4 or 5 small parts plated.

Does anyone with more creativity/skill than me have any ideas on how to achieve a similar look? I think I might be able to airbrush on a Testor's color from my model paints, and then add a few layers of a high-gloss clear coat. I wouldn't be using this particular saber to duel, so durability isn't an issue above and beyond dust and the occasional handling. I don't have any scrap aluminum to test this on, so I'm kind of hoping I can bum the information/knowledge from some of you fine folks.

Crystal Chambers
06-29-2010, 04:13 AM
With my limited experience in enamel clear coating, I think it may be more durable then you think. Especially if you bake it. An even better idea would be if you could get the clear spray tinted. IMO

FenderBender
06-29-2010, 06:04 AM
Black Chrome or other trans-black powdercoating would probably get you close to what you want.