PDA

View Full Version : How to install an illuminated switch?

exaltedreign
06-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm planning on buying the blue Seoul P4 kit, but want to switch out the included switch with a blue illuminated momentary switch.

How would I do this? Other than buying the bezel, what else do I need, how do I install it? Anyone have pictures?

Lord Dottore Matto
06-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Thee is a wiring diagram in posted with the switch in the shop. Other than that, there are a lot of pictures of it posted in the gallery (you just need to spend some time searching ;))

Knighthammer
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Also if your going to install in a regular hilt (no switch box) then make sure either you want to drill it to the right size, or have Tim do it for you (for a fee ;) )

Skottsaber
06-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Are you going to use a soundboard? If not, you may want to look up the difference between momentary and latching switches.

Welcome to the forum ;)

Weaver
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
This was a question of mine as well. There doesn't seem to be an adequate description of what each type of switch actually does. SPST, for example (Single Pole Single Throw). I looked it up on Google and received an overly simplified explanation (i.e. it turns on when you press it and off when you release it).

The specific type of switch I need is the kind capable of producing a power-on when pressed, blaster block when briefly pressed (if power is on), lockup when held (power is on), and power-off when held for a specific length of time. As I understand it, this type of switch can be wired to blink when the power is off, but the LED inside the switch needs a resistor (still a little confused on how that works).

Is this the SPST, DPDT, XJY9Sigma//etc,etc? Must admit, the number of seemingly random acronyms is a little intimidating.

Silver Serpent
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM
For that, you would need a different sound board. Neither the Petit Crouton nor its big brother the Crystal Focus will do what you're asking. It's a software issue, not a hardware issue. Two separate switches are necessary to use the functions on the PC and CF.

For the blinking LED, that would be controlled by the sound board. The switch's internal LED is wired independantly from the switch itself. Notice on the wiring diagram that there are two poles for the LED itself, one + and one - . Since the LED is on a separate and non-regulated pad, you will need a resistor to prevent it burning out.

SPST and DPDT isn't exactly random. Have a look here for a little more detailed explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

The behavior you described, "it turns on when you press it and off when you release it" indicates a momentary switch. The other type is latching, which stays on until you press the button a second time.

Weaver
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you, Silver Serpent. I was confusing the PC with the Obsidian XT, which we all know isn't going to be available before the turn of the century. I'll have to work in the extra switch configurations on my "design". Here's hoping nothing explodes, right?