PDA

View Full Version : How do your pets react to lightsabers?

Crystal Chambers
06-24-2010, 04:48 PM
My girlfriends Rottweiler gets really uneasy whenever I have one in my hand. Even when it isn't lit. Now that we have sound he's even more tense. He barks and gets aggressive when we duel and last weekend he bit my rear. Not badly, it's didn't hurt much but (lol) it really startled me and makes me concerned. When we put him inside he whined and bark. He really doesn't understand that we're playing. Does anyone know how to make your dog chill out? lol

Any other pet stories would make a great addition. I always see Novastar's cat in the background chill'n or it's tail passing by the bottom of the screen and Rhyen's "Darth Kitty" has made some guest appearances too.

It really wouldn't surprise me if a cat would think it was purring and rub into one..lol

Edit...oh yeah although there's no marks from the bite he managed to hit a nerve or something and my hip was bothering me for several days. How's that for targeting. I don't want to know what would happen if he actually wanted it to hurt instead of warn me.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Everytime I set a lightsaber on the stand to take pics and a video my cat comes running and has to be right up on the saber. I don't know what it is but my cat thinks she has to be in every video I make. LOL I call her Darth Nacho. Yes, my cats name is Nacho. LOL

Sunrider
06-24-2010, 05:08 PM
As long as the dog can see the sabers being taken out or can hear any of the noises from sabers & dueling he will freak out. Once dogs see or hear stuff they don't forget. There is some thing instinctive about animals being afraid of people with sticks in their hands.

Obi-Ben
06-24-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't know about my cat, but I once scared the hell out of a robin sitting on its nest when I ignited my blade by the apple tree. I didn't know it was there, honest!

Jedi-Loreen
06-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Our dogs don't like them.

They're kind of ok, till I turn them on, especially the one with sound. Then they cower over near the side of the bed where my mom watches TV, since they usually hang out in her bedroom.

Crystal Chambers
06-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Everytime I set a lightsaber on the stand to take pics and a video my cat comes running and has to be right up on the saber. I don't know what it is but my cat thinks she has to be in every video I make. LOL I call her Darth Nacho. Yes, my cats name is Nacho. LOL

If you get another pet you should call it Salsa..lol
I've been wanting to get two cats and name them Adrien and Stella...fun names to call out..lol

Jedi-Loreen
06-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I've had lots of pet rats, when I used to live alone in an apartment.

Once I got 2 sisters, one white, and one brown. I named them Cagney and Lacey.

This was in the days before I built lightsabers, 1999-2002, so I don't know of they would have liked them or been afraid of them.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I've been wanting to get two cats and name them Adrien and Stella...fun names to call out..lol

HAHA! That would be so awesome. LOL

ElbE121
06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
My wifes' cat doesn't mind the sabers too much when they are not powered up. Depending on the mood he's in he either takes off or he will sit and glare at me annoyed because I disturbed him from his 7 hour cat nap once I turn the sound on though

Darth Astronimus
06-24-2010, 07:20 PM

Dude i had a cat named nacho too

but my dog runs to the back yard and barks from far away haha

Rhyen Skytracker
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Nacho got her name from when she was a kitten something was always nibbling on her so I named her after one of my favorite appitizer. LOL

Skottsaber
06-25-2010, 12:33 AM
OK... I 'duel' with my dog. LOL. :mrgreen:

She has a pretend saber, but she still beats me sometimes :D
And I'm not sure but I don't think she's gonna like sound.

Crystal Chambers
06-25-2010, 04:17 AM
I can't help but humour the thought that he was mad I never made him a saber and if I did he'd duel instead of biting me..lol

JamoUp
06-25-2010, 04:26 AM
My Great Dane leaves the room when I turn a saber on. My Boston Terrier jumps and tries to bite the blade.

Borax
06-25-2010, 06:56 AM
I have a german shepherd and he has mixed emotions mainly due to the fact that while goofing around and swinging the sabers I have straight smacked him in the face when he walked up behind me. But one thing that may help withyou gf's rott is to try playing with him and then grab the saber in hand "off" and continue playing around with him get him to see the saber as a good thing while its in your hand and kind of work up to turning it on from there. It what I had to do with my dog and now when I turn them on he goes into battle stance and spins and barks while I try to attck him and smack him on the rear with the blade. So he considers the saber play time for him. And also sine the dog is technically you gf's she should be involved in the play time so it removes the idea that you may be attacking his owner. I hope this may help :)

Crystal Chambers
06-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Thanks Borax...sounds like it may at least make things easier on all of us. If we even hold them and tap them slowly and I mean very slowly he gets up and has to show he's concerned and growl, or even bark.

It's weird how dogs love to run for sticks but get aggressive when swinging them even playfully.

I've accidentally hit the "Lawnsprinkler" myself when off on my own swinging it.

cardcollector
06-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Does anyone know how to make you dog chill out?

Well, because you are "hitting" your friend with lightsabers, the dog sees that his "Pack Leader" is in danger. naturally the dog want to protect his pack, so therefore hw fights too.

To get the dog comfortable with the lightsaber, have your friend play with him with it. Like get on your knees, and tap the dog with it. giving off happy, excited energy while doing so.

Eventually the dog will enjoy "fighting" you with a lightsaber.

My Mutt (weimeraner (sp), pit, lab, boxer...) will come and jump on us when we are fighting. He proceeds to lick us profoundly if we are knocked down...

MY chesapeak bay retriever wil just stand under your feet and look at the ball he wants you to throw...

Eomund
06-27-2010, 11:22 AM
My girlfriend has a Jack Russell and my parents have a a couple dogs as well. None of them like the sabers--especially the ones with sound. When I go to my parents' their dogs always run up to greet me, unless I have a saber in hand. Once they see the saber, they turn around and take off. lol

And don't even think about dueling around my girlfriend's Jack Russell, she goes nuts. Starts barking and jumping at us. She really hates it when we duel. I have however found a positive use for this. It's a great way to keep the dog off the furniture. Just put a saber on the couch, the dog won't even come near it.

Sunrider
06-27-2010, 01:02 PM
I have however found a positive use for this. It's a great way to keep the dog off the furniture. Just put a saber on the couch, the dog won't even come near it.

LOL I used to have a Jack Russel & a large male cat that used to beat each other up. Until I turned on the saber that is, then they would retreat to their corners rather quickly.;)

Halcyon, K
06-27-2010, 03:57 PM
My dog will try to steal my sabers when they are off. Maybe they look like his bone, I don't know. As soon as I turn one on, he goes nuts. First he'll run away, then he charges. Sometimes he goes for the blade and sometimes for me. He also REALLY hates when I put on my Vader mask. Now I make sure he isn't around when I play. I guess he just isn't a fan.

Matt Thorn
06-28-2010, 05:37 PM
My sugar gliders urinate on my sabers. Then again, they urinate on everything, including me. :cool:

They do love to climb them when they are displayed vertically. Amazing how they can hold on to those polycarbonate tubes with those funny little hands of theirs.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_THBqz9vPciU/S53DDcHj3zI/AAAAAAAAEHg/DRND5WKtmwU/s400/IMG_1752.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/lh/photo/QSlXyoZ50_vQFk8C1G8V6g?feat=embedwebsite)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_THBqz9vPciU/S53BscRnVSI/AAAAAAAAEGY/BMT64klPoLA/s400/IMG_1716.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/lh/photo/XkoTgMBG3FgUVwBrecKQVQ?feat=embedwebsite)

cardcollector
06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
oh, I used to have sugargliders. They were so much fun...

I saved them from a shoebox they were living in, they didn't stop biting the crud out my fingers for about a week...

*sniff* *sniff*
Thanks for the recall of great memories Matt...

Skottsaber
06-29-2010, 03:24 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_THBqz9vPciU/S53DDcHj3zI/AAAAAAAAEHg/DRND5WKtmwU/s400/IMG_1752.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/lh/photo/QSlXyoZ50_vQFk8C1G8V6g?feat=embedwebsite)

Ewwwwwwww! What is that?!

Rafalema
06-29-2010, 03:31 AM
...sugar gliders urinate on my sabers. Then again, they urinate on everything, including me...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_THBqz9vPciU/S53DDcHj3zI/AAAAAAAAEHg/DRND5WKtmwU/s400/IMG_1752.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/lh/photo/QSlXyoZ50_vQFk8C1G8V6g?feat=embedwebsite)/s400/IMG_1716.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Except you meant the saber of him. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qui-Gon_Jinn)

Matt Thorn
06-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Ewwwwwwww! What is that?!
Ehem. (Ignoring the slight.:-?) Only the cutest marsupial ever produced by evolution.:cool:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_THBqz9vPciU/TBxxWaDE-pI/AAAAAAAAFG0/6Oqvb0xJmOw/s400/IMG_1998.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/lh/photo/G64GyPrvQh382CcL08BjGw?feat=embedwebsite)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Except you meant the saber of him. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Qui-Gon_Jinn)
Hm? :confused: Did I suggest otherwise? Yes, that is the first custom saber I ever had made, by the great DoClo, and the only saber I have which contains a Crystal Focus. Needless to say, I quickly rescued it from the cavalier toilet habits of my sugar gliders.

Rafalema
06-29-2010, 04:08 AM
Just look at the last pic.

Just look at them.

How awesome is that.

What's that gray thingy where they are?

Matt Thorn
06-29-2010, 04:16 AM
Just look at the last pic.

Just look at them.

How awesome is that.
See? Now here's a saber fan who appreciates a fine animal. :p

What's that gray thingy where they are?
That's a pouch I made for them from scraps of fleece left over from the Qui-Gon poncho I made to go with DoClo's saber. :cool:

Skottsaber
06-29-2010, 04:20 AM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_THBqz9vPciU/TBxxWaDE-pI/AAAAAAAAFG0/6Oqvb0xJmOw/s400/IMG_1998.jpg (http://picasaweb.google.co.jp/lh/photo/G64GyPrvQh382CcL08BjGw?feat=embedwebsite)

ok... it is quite cute in that picture. Looks like a rabid mouse in the other :p

Just saying though. Look at this comparison. http://zecktroidcpcheats.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/dobby-from-harry-potter.jpg
:D

Matt Thorn
06-29-2010, 04:57 AM
I was thinking something more like this:
http://www.nysun.com/pics/7047.jpg

Obi-Ben
06-29-2010, 12:54 PM
I've never heard of a sugar glider before.

Skottsaber
06-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Look at Matt Thorn's location. Its right next to his post :roll:

Tigers come from Asia, but they are displayed in zoos worldwide.

Obi-Ben
06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Look at Matt Thorn's location. Its right next to his post :roll:

Tigers come from Asia, but they are displayed in zoos worldwide.

Yeah I know, I saw that and have since edited my post. Still, I think I've been around in the pet-owner community in the US, and I have never even heard of these little guys.

Rafalema
06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Well I think I should tell something about my pet...

He's a cat, 1 year old.
If I put the blade on my saber and ignite it, he comes and starts to bite the tip of the blade pushes the blade around. If I have the one with sound, ignite it, his ears just turn sideways (hard to explain, means that the cat thinks too loud noise), but he doesn't freak out or anything...

If Im in a dark room, blade ignited, point it to the wall, it creates the blade tip shadow.

He loves to chase it.
He loves to chase Shadows. :cool:

Treadingwolf
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
My Greyhounds are fine until ignition. One of them gets up and walks towards the bedroom, the other jumps up and crashes through the house to get away.

cardcollector
06-30-2010, 05:38 AM
Yeah I know, I saw that and have since edited my post. Still, I think I've been around in the pet-owner community in the US, and I have never even heard of these little guys.

That's because they are native to Austrailia. They are considered an "Exotic" pet and therefore cost... oh, $550-$600...

Plus they can get sick very easily.

The Grey Elf
07-02-2010, 05:16 AM
My cats LOVE my sabers. The moment I ignite one they come running to jump up, grab it with their paws, pull the blade down to their level, and rub their faces on it. Finnegan, the younger, attacks and bites it. Seamus, the older of the two, just rubs all over it as if to say, "I love this saber. This is MY saber, and I love it."

Crystal Chambers
07-02-2010, 05:56 AM
That totally makes since since they kinda purr..lol

Darth_Dadderall
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I dated a girl once who had sugar gliders. They were adorable.
My dog is very mellow and doesn't even notice/care when I get the sabers out or turn them on, but then we have a 3 y/o in the house so that's more than enough to desensitize her to loud noises and crazy action. The cat couldn't care less.

vctrsone
07-04-2010, 01:57 AM
my kitten marmie goes crazy when i light my saber and start playing with it..does her "im a crazy kitten" impression....like the saber is another cat about to start playing with her...if i point at her she kinda growls and does a crab like half side ways run before flopping over on her belly with claws in the air as if to say "come on come get me"..shes a play full little thing :)

Skottsaber
07-07-2010, 07:30 AM
OK... my little sister got 2 new pets the other day.
Couldn't resist :D

Video! (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237687/TCSS%20Posts/Fish.MP4)

There is actually another one, but he wouldn't come to the front.
So... I think minimal or no reaction?

What do you guys think? :lol:

Crystal Chambers
07-07-2010, 07:44 AM
lol....are you sure it's alive?

Jedi-Loreen
07-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't really consider fish to be "pets". They're more like living decorations. :p

How old is your sister?

For who's benefit, or information, did she write on the fish bowl?

Skottsaber
07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't really consider fish to be "pets". They're more like living decorations. :p

I would agree. I much prefer the Koi in the Pond we have, they are much bigger and do more swimming :D

How old is your sister?

8 :)

For who's benefit, or information, did she write on the fish bowl?

You're asking me? :lol:

Answers in red :cool:
Oh, and I'm surprised you didn't catch the spelling mistake :mrgreen:

Endymion
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
My sugar gliders urinate on my sabers. Then again, they urinate on everything, including me. :cool:

They do love to climb them when they are displayed vertically. Amazing how they can hold on to those polycarbonate tubes with those funny little hands of theirs.

Dude Sugar Gliders are awesome! I'm surprised to even see someone owning them on here. My local pet store had a couple for a while(Hard to sell exotic pets locally)

[QUOTE=Skottsaber;174088]OK... my little sister got 2 new pets the other day.
Couldn't resist :D

Video! (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237687/TCSS%20Posts/Fish.MP4)

There is actually another one, but he wouldn't come to the front.
So... I think minimal or no reaction?

What do you guys think? :lol:

That fish was like....Are you serious? "IM A FISH!"

I have two Cats, and a very large Dog(Pitbull/Mastiff).

The cats kinda mess with my saber,They like the white LED. One of my cats has hip problems so he cant really run around, So he grapples with the blade arms/legsa locked as to simulate a MMA fighter.. They are both 10+ years old, but the other one has a CRAZY cat mentality haha. She jumps off the tables and tries to kill me when i ignite it in the dark.

The dog on the other hand is 4 years old and a little over 100 pounds, He is a big mush, But he's kinda intimidating to people who don't know him.
When it's off and I walk around with the blade in he becomes weary, He's very alert normally so he senses that I have a weapon(I'd imagine.)

But with the light on he gets aggressive and jumpy. Perhaps to signify that he's down to fight for me :P (For him that just him trying to roll on my feet and bark at me, He's a big baby,)

(It's a soundless stunt saber btw, I havent had the funds to make a custom saber yet.)

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
07-10-2010, 10:26 PM
On onehand, my one sister's chihuahuas ran and hid once i started swinging, on the other hand, my other sister's Doberman tried to fight me! :D:D:D:D:D

Kant Lavar
07-11-2010, 09:13 PM
My cats get fascinated by the blade, and sniff at it and rub their scent onto it - it's in their house, therefore it is of course their lightsaber. Oddly, if I grab my Episode III Obi-Wan MRFX and turn it on, they react poorly to the sound. My Episode IV MR Luke and UltraSound sabers don't bother them at all.

Kastor
07-15-2010, 09:51 PM
My girlfriend has 2 dogs that absolutely hate vacuum cleaners, hair dryers and even wheelbarrows (herders). So I knew sabers were not going to be popular. I let them smell and hang out with inactive sabers until they became board, then turned one on and left it on the couch, they paid no attention, then let them sniff some more and to this day they have no problems with sabers what so ever.

They'll still maul the vacuum though.

Matt Thorn
07-15-2010, 10:11 PM
My girlfriend has 2 dogs that absolutely hate vacuum cleaners, hair dryers and even wheelbarrows (herders). So I knew sabers were not going to be popular. I let them smell and hang out with inactive sabers until they became board, then turned one on and left it on the couch, they paid no attention, then let them sniff some more and to this day they have no problems with sabers what so ever.

They'll still maul the vacuum though.
Off topic, but this reminded me of a dog I knew (now deceased) who was freaked out by people on skateboards, roller skates, or roller blades. She could deal with cars, motorcycles, and bicycles, but somehow the sight of a human moving horizontally without benefit of a vehicle, and without putting one foot in front of the other, apparently violated her most fundamental concepts of how the universe should work. :|

Shadar Al'Niende
07-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Or she was afraid of her tail getting run over....

Crystal Chambers
07-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Update....the once aggressive dog now ignores us when we play away from each other or near him. We desensitized him slowly to sabers by petting him with them on, swinging them lightly still petting, tapping him with them gently and now he doesn't see them as as much of a threat...I don't want to undo this work so later in the coming weeks we'll try dueling again with him near. He's fine with us swinging them on our own though! Huge improvement.

Matt Thorn
07-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Or she was afraid of her tail getting run over....
She only had a little stub of a tail, and she was a pretty big dog. And when she was outside, she was on a chain. She was already grown when they adopted her from the Humane Society, and had apparently been abused before (She was terrified of brooms for many months after they adopted her), so maybe she had some puppyhood rollerblade trauma, but I prefer to think she was indignant at what she saw as a violation of the laws of physics. :p

Skottsaber
08-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Super duper necropost time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SETTT7T5JYI

Enjoy! (Intro courtesy of Takanis)

DarthTratus
08-19-2011, 03:13 PM
my dog is the same way, its a terrirorial thing. the dog thinks you will use it in either him or your friend in a harmful way to them ,when youre dueling, they feel threatened

mps
08-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Stiletto(Stella) our cat couldn't care less...When Our dog Hiedi was with us she cowered and hid when I even took them out...Poor thing was so scared. Just the blade though, hilt was fine...sound and everything. Blade on the other hand, she did not like.