PDA

View Full Version : chassis and chamber, rods and tubes?

Crystal Chambers
06-23-2010, 08:38 AM
While I have a good understanding of chassis design, I'm having some trouble with figuring out the right sized tubing for threaded rods. Or even what sized rods for that matter. Any advice would be great.

So far I have roughly a 4" section of chassis which could be 8/32 threaded rod.

The crystal chamber needs to fit within a 1.125" ID (1 and 1/8th") with rods 1.5" long. For this I'm thinking maybe a 4/40 thread.

I thought I knew which tubes might fit but trying to get accurate measurements with a measuring tape just isn't cutting and they need to be tight where I don't have much space. I tried to search the OD of the threads but too much other stuff came up in the way.

Sunrider
06-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Try googleing standoffs this is the term most common to what is used. Here is a good looking site I found.

http://www.unicorpinc.com/

Jedi-Loreen
06-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Cool site. :cool:

acerocket
06-23-2010, 02:27 PM
I have quoted from Unicorp before. Their prices are OK. You have to buy in large quantities to see a good price drop. For instance, I recently was quoted on some .125" od 2-56 threaded round standoffs 3/16" long. Most places do not carry 2-56 standoffs but Unicorp can make them. They quoted me $0.85 each for 650 pieces and $0.35 for 1000 pieces with a 7 to 8 week lead time.

If you use 4-40 threaded rod, you can use unthreaded standoffs. You can ususally find these with a .115" id and a 3/16" od in various lengths and materials. Alternatively, you can use 4-40 threaded standoffs. These are almost always 1/4" od and they also come in various lengths and materials.

You could also use some 5/32" tubing witha .014" wall. Most hobby stores and craft supply stores carry a line of tubing for hobbiests under the K&S brand name. They sell a 5/32" od .014" wall tubing in brass, aluminum and sometimes even copper (if your store has the full product line). This tubing cuts really easy with a dremel and a 3' long piece is only a few dollars. If you only need a few of each size or have odd lengths, this may be the best way to go.

Crystal Chambers
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Thx guys I'll look into that ....I found some at mcmaster, I looked everywhere and under spacers and standoffs the threaded ones didn't have the thread going through the middle.

Edit..pish! They don't ship to Canada anymore. Thanks for the link Sunrider...I'll try them
Edit nice...the only problem so far is the chart system...they need drop down menus. These people do NOT make it easy. I'm starting to not like this. The unthreaded don't have any indication of ID and the threaded aren't long enough.

FenderBender
06-24-2010, 04:51 AM
I use the threaded 4-40 ones from Digikey. They are 3/16ths OD and Digikey is the only place so far that I've found them. They only come in 1" lengths, but you can combine them with 4-40 set screws (I order 3/4" ones from McMaster) or cut them to length and make any length you need.

Crystal Chambers
06-24-2010, 05:28 AM
FB - you say the standoffs for 4/40 are 3/16ths OD? Found them and digikey has a .ca too....canuck friendly! Thx!
I may have to stack them to get the length but I need to put in the other "crystals" along the standoffs too so that works!

I think I have a few solutions like relatives in the US or other sites to order from. Plus I'm only using 4/40 with spacers and the rest will be solid delrin should I be able to get that. I also need some other materials like acrylic and other brass parts not easily found...but will be well worth it.:D

The only reason I couldn't take the time to figure it out is I need all the parts here in no more then two weeks so researching the history of nuts and bolts is not realistic...at this point. plus I already spend nearly 8 hours measuring emailing waiting..double checking before McJerks.com told me they don't ship to Canadaka...lol

I do encourage this thread to continue though, Some of the measurement and conversion can be tricky to figure out best fit for rods and tubes. If anyone has any conversion sites...articles on threads etc. I think this thread could handy to those building their first chassis.:D

edit...45 minutes later found standoffs I want but still looking for threaded rod or long bolts....I have money but I don't think they want it..lol This is getting silly I'm calling the local business park.

FenderBender
06-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Yeah, 3/16" OD. Tiny. They rock for doing chassis when you need cram-fu, espicially in MHS or smaller diameter pieces. Yoda uses this size for his Graflex chassis too. As for brass and such, not much easy places to find that except hobby stores, some small hardware stores and plumbing sections (brass fittings for PEX and other barbed hose fittings work great for dress up stuff;)).

Rhyen Skytracker
06-24-2010, 06:00 AM
I usually go to a local hardware store called Ace Hardware. I have 2 stores close to me and one carries everything you can think of but the other one doesn't carry much in brass rod and tubing. I can get all different sizes of the brass tubing and rod and also get it in aluminum. They also carry tons of small nuts and threaded rod and nylon spacers and many many more things that work for making chassis. I till take a pic of what I got on my last visit with my crappy camera. LOL

Crystal Chambers
06-24-2010, 06:22 AM
lol....My biggest problem is it takes 3 hours on the bus there and back to get to the good industrial places...no sidewalks, and I work nights so my day minutes on my cell are expensive. If I drove and had a landline or better cell package it wouldn't be so difficult to find things locally.

xl97
06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
for me.. I use whatever I need for the project..

what looks good..and fits best..

I use larger OD threaded rod if it needs to be more rigid.. but for crystal chambers it doesnt need to be too much (depends on your design I suppose)

for my applications.. I use whateve OD rod that fits the best.. (that are basically just standoffs/spacers)..the rod runs 1 single piece from top to bottom..

I then grab whatever threaded rod fits best inside the brass tube.. if you need space..you may be able to snake a wire or so along side the threaded rod.. up to your design..

you can get threaded rod in pre-cut lenths from ACE...etc but also places liek HomeDepot/Lowes also carry threaded rd in LONG length..so you can cut to you desired length..

Noyl Wendor
06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
I usually go to a local hardware store called Ace Hardware. I have 2 stores close to me and one carries everything you can think of but the other one doesn't carry much in brass rod and tubing. I can get all different sizes of the brass tubing and rod and also get it in aluminum. They also carry tons of small nuts and threaded rod and nylon spacers and many many more things that work for making chassis. I till take a pic of what I got on my last visit with my crappy camera. LOL

Yep, thats where I got my pieces for my interior chasis. I was planing on posting some pics to nite.

http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/noylwendor/chasis1.jpg

I used 4/40 threaded rod (for the blade holder) Then a solid steel washer, from there I graduated to 6/32 threaded rod, with the aluminium rods (6/32 inside thread) screwed down over them. Overall I have plenty of room for my crystal chamber battery and SB.
Like I said, I'm posting more pics later.

Crystal Chambers
06-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm surprised at how many parts I could actually find on ebay. The other stuff I can find in town, but the 2" of 1-1/8 (1.125") thin walled brass tube may be more difficult.

These links are all very helpful but finding the exact size you need and ordering it are not easy. I will definitely make use of them in the future when I have more time and space to work with in my chrystal chamber. It's so small that I need to shave everything down to fit. I have one serious chassis design for a future build that I'm refining and I'll use these sites for sure then. I probably won't do that build for a little while. After finishing off my sabers 3 through 5, I think I'm going to take a break for a few months and work on my Jedi robes. Then onto some CRAZY chassis work!

Thanks again guys!

Sunrider
06-25-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm surprised at how many parts I could actually find on ebay. The other stuff I can find in town, but the 2" of 1-1/8 (1.125") thin walled brass tube may be more difficult.

Hardware stores usually have 1.5 & 1.25 brass sink tube. If it's for the interior make 2 in section & cut a strip down the side.

Crystal Chambers
06-25-2010, 09:59 PM
I did consider that option until I found that size tube online except they don't ship to Canada. It's for a visible part of my crystal chamber for a CF saber so it really should be perfect.

xl97
06-26-2010, 08:04 AM
We can get them here int he states... so get a buddy to send you some.

I got mine at Lowes.. 2- 6 in. thin wall brass tubing.. (for Obi-Dar along time ago..and he never 'got' them from me).. so I know we have them here =)

cardcollector
06-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I got mine at Lowes.. 2- 6 in. thin wall brass tubing.. (

Where?!? :shock:

I spent 30 minutes the other day in Lowes looking for brass tubing because the employies were hiding from me.:mad:

xl97
06-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Just at my Lowes..

(mines still in package..cause liek I said it was for someone else initially) lol

Package:

The Keeney Manufacturing Company & Duracraft Plastics, Inc

12BPK
Extension Tube
Inlet 1 1/4" Length 6"
Slip Joint With Brass Nut
Polished Brass FInish

I suppose I could get teh barcode/sku# too..

Crystal Chambers
06-28-2010, 07:39 AM
1.5" and 1.25 " is easy to find.

I want 1 1/8" (1.125"). I have found it but they won't ship to Canada.

Rathan
06-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Hobby Lobby is a good place to get brass tubes to fit all different threaded rods.
They ship internationally if you call them.
edit: They have sizes under 1".

Jedi-Loreen
06-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Hobby Lobby does not exist in California, where I am located. I'm not sure I've seen tubing at Michael's.