PDA

View Full Version : Hello Sabersmiths...

Rissa
06-20-2010, 05:26 PM
My name is Rissa, and Im very happy to have joined this group. I have been reading like mad for several weeks now, and Im amazed how much information is here on these lists.

I have made EL lightsabers before, and was about to upgrade to LED until I saw the info on Luxeom lights. Now, I think I shall make one of those instead.

And Im QUITE interested on the Light whip. Now, if I can figure out where to get optic fibers like that...heheh :cool:

*maybe this will finally make me improve my solder skills :p *

Anyway, thanks for all the great info.

Jedi-Loreen
06-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Welcome. I know your name, what other message forums do you belong to?

Rissa
06-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Welcome. I know your name, what other message forums do you belong to?

Yes Indeed, Jedi Loreen, you do indeed know my name!! :)

Hmm. Other message forums?.. Like perhaps:

The Jedi Assembly
The Force.net
The Dark Empire
The Rebel Legion
Flagship Eclipse...

hehe.. does that help any?

:rolleyes:

At your service!

**Bows**

Jedi-Loreen
06-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Yes indeed.

I was pretty sure I'd seen you posting at the RL and TF.N. I don't go to TJA anymore.

I've read a few threads here and there at Flagship Eclipse, but I don't have an account. Never been to The Dark Empire.

Skottsaber
06-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Welcome, I'm guessing you're quite the forum veteran :mrgreen:

Nice to have you on board, and good job on the reading! Some new people just don't get it.

Skott

Defectuous
06-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Hey Rissa,

I occasionally troll over the TJA forums haven't posted in a while thou.
Good to see more people here.

Luxeom is the way to go in my book.

cardcollector
06-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Hey Hey,

IT is good to hear that you've been reading! I am sure you're first saber will turn out amazing. You can help but improve your solder skills in this hobby...:p

Do you have any designs yet? Or are still in the "gathering Info" stage?

Rissa
06-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Hey Hey,

IT is good to hear that you've been reading! I am sure you're first saber will turn out amazing. You can help but improve your solder skills in this hobby...:p

Do you have any designs yet? Or are still in the "gathering Info" stage?

;) Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

OH yes, Im having quite a bit of fun reading. And every time I do, I seem to pick out a little bit more.

I sure hope my solder skills improve..I need all the help I can get.

I have a basic design Im thinking about at the moment. I'm limited to the fact I dont have metal-working tools to deal with..but I'm willing to try ... and I have a rather puny dremel to work with... So it should be fun!

Right now, I'm just wanting to get the electronics right.

Once I get my hands on the actual Luxeon, I think I can figure it out from there...

:rolleyes:

We'll see!:cool:

Tyhm
06-22-2010, 06:20 AM
Ok. Just remember, Don't Hook the LED straight up to the battery to see if it works! You always need at least a resistor in there...haha, I'd be so upset if I fried my first LED that way...mostly with myself, but still.

Skottsaber
06-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Ok. Just remember, Don't Hook the LED straight up to the battery to see if it works! You always need at least a resistor in there...haha, I'd be so upset if I fried my first LED that way...mostly with myself, but still.

Actually I did that. If you connect it for a split second it should still work.
Disclaimer: I do not condone this method of testing LEDs. It could harm the electronics. :lol:

Lord Dottore Matto
06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Welcome Rissa. Any friend of J-Lo's is a friend of mine...lol, I was gonna say J-Lo's but she knows where I live...:lol:

Rhyen Skytracker
06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome Rissa. It is good to have someone else from The ATL.

Rissa
06-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Welcome Rissa. It is good to have someone else from The ATL.

YESSSS!! Well thank ye, Redneck One. I sho feel welcomed. hehehe. Its hightly unusual that I have someone actually CLOSE to me from these here boards! LOL!

Thanks, Lord Dottore! ;)

Skottsaber and Tyhm...I'll try and REMEMBER THAT. I have done that to an LED..luckily it didnt blow up..but it wasnt a high powerd LED either. I'll definitely be using resisters. That Puck thingie..(Can you tell how technical I am!? :p) Looks interesting, but if I can stick with resisters, I will go that route.

I REALLY want a purty Lexeon to play with now!!!! AIIIEEEEE.

Would LOVE to have something done before Dragon*Con!

Tyhm
06-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Resistors are good for playing around with, but if you're gonna be using it for any length of time you'll want to invest in the buckpuck. Resistors heat up and waste energy, basically; buckpucks adjust the flow of energy so you don't chew through the batteries. It's like trying to use a fire hose to water flowers without hitting them too hard; you can put a leak in the hose to lower the pressure, or you can put an expensive sprinkler head on it. Either way works, just one's more wasteful.

Rissa
06-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Resistors are good for playing around with, but if you're gonna be using it for any length of time you'll want to invest in the buckpuck. Resistors heat up and waste energy, basically; buckpucks adjust the flow of energy so you don't chew through the batteries. It's like trying to use a fire hose to water flowers without hitting them too hard; you can put a leak in the hose to lower the pressure, or you can put an expensive sprinkler head on it. Either way works, just one's more wasteful.

Oooh.

Alrighty then. I guess I can take the time to figure out a buckpuck.:cool:

after all the effort to get the other stuff, would hate to burn my stuff out, by being too cheap.

Thanks for that bit of info.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Keep in mind that with a buck puck you have to have at least 5 Volts going to it. Also keep in mind, if you use a MR/Hasbro FX board you don't need a resistor or buck puck. The FX board can drive a high power LED just fine.