PDA

View Full Version : FX Conversion Kits

Hitogiri
10-29-2005, 10:45 AM
When are you gonna finish the Anakin FX tutorial and when will the conversion kits be avaible?

Thanks

Brian

Strydur
10-29-2005, 11:27 AM
The anakin is a little harder than the vader because I need to do more machining for where the chrome button bases attach. I will get that tutorial done asap. I should have the vader kits up for sale within the next few days. The anakins will have to wait until I figure out the best way to mount the buttons.

Tim

Darth_Dadderall
02-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Any progress on the Anakin '05 conversion tutorial? How are the conversion kits coming?

What is life but the passage to death?

scaarmor
02-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I am sure all of Tim's efforts have been focused on getting the LED blade holders in and he has had no time to work on the Anakin conversion. But he will get around to it I am sure. Probibly when he gets the other kinks out of the shop, such as pasify everyones blade holder needs and still have enough in stock to feel comfortable enough to move to the next project. You have to remember that Tim is still a working stiff as well, he still has a job and family to worry about too.

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Artifical_Lynx
02-09-2006, 12:23 PM
yeah just give the guy a break. He's trying his best and I can wait for the Darth Vader conversion kit. I don't need it anytime soon. I just messed up my darth vader anyways trying to get the blade out. I'm going to convert it then buy another one for display. My Anakin is no more and I ended up messing up on the switch so bad that I sold it for 75 dollars. I'm just going to buy a Anakin ROTS converted the only problem is that there not cheap on Ebay. So far I know that slackfarm and ultraswg are the only two out there I've seen along with some others.

xwingband
02-09-2006, 12:34 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Artifical_Lynx

yeah just give the guy a break. He's trying his best and I can wait for the Darth Vader conversion kit. I don't need it anytime soon. I just messed up my darth vader anyways trying to get the blade out. I'm going to convert it then buy another one for display. My Anakin is no more and I ended up messing up on the switch so bad that I sold it for 75 dollars. I'm just going to buy a Anakin ROTS converted the only problem is that there not cheap on Ebay. So far I know that slackfarm and ultraswg are the only two out there I've seen along with some others.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Avoid ebay and go straight to UltraSWG's site. You will get ripped off on ebay.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Strydur
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
What Cain said...[8D]

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Darth_Dadderall
02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
You'd think I'd shot somebody. I wasn't trying to jump in his **** about it, I just wanted an update. This thread hadn't moved since October of last year. Maybe some other people need to lighten up, Lynx.
Thanks for the info though, fellas. That was exactly what I needed to know.

What is life but the passage to death?

OB Wayne
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
i don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems suited. i was wondering if this new threading and a screw on holder could be used as a blade holder like the picture shown in the vader tutorial.

PS: what are these people on ebay using to make a detatchable blade (ie. the blade holder). if anyone has that info i would much appreciate it.

Strydur
02-09-2006, 09:28 PM
The other pieces can not be machined down enough to work. Vader kits are on the way and in production. The people you see on ebay are generally reusing the stock housing.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Protein5000
02-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Is reusing the stock houseing doable? Strong enough?

Good to hear the Vader's are in production.

Don't think this has been asked - I run a clothing label so I know how long you can wait for things - But are the Anakin conversion kits actually in production? Or is production still pending?

NooB1Kenobi
02-10-2006, 02:15 AM
It's doable. Not as Strong as a conversion kit though like the Pro's use. I have seen an Anakin one though where someone used the two holes where the pins are and drilled the housing and blade and put some black thumb screws in there. Yes it's not the same look but from what I seen it works. I'm sure for as hard as The Anakin sounds that it'd be a way to go if you aren't to picky about moding it like that. From what I read on here the Anakin is a lot tougher to make the kit for than the Vader.. I am currently working on a way to make a Removable and duelable Windu Conversion. I just wish someone would get the Amber Led's in... Also on Vaders I've seen the vader Moded where the thumb screws are and longer thumbscrews used to go into the blade.

scaarmor
02-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Darth Adderall,
I hope you dont think I was jumping on you...I was only stating that Tim is working very hard on this store as we speak to get everything everyone wants and the blade holder issue was first on his list. I know he plans to do the Anakin as soon as possible, but there are other more pressing things for him. Again, not to mention he still works and has a family as well. I am sure when he begins work on the Anakin conversion he will let us know since you and many others are desperatly awaiting them, myself included. I know that thier release has been highly anticipated by all but, from what I understand, the Anakin conversions are a pain in the ass to do. Other methods may not be so hard to do but Tim only makes/sells the best, so it is alittle more difficult for him to machine something he feels happy selling.

All that combined with the fact that just about every five minutes he was being asked "When are the LED blade holders going to be in", which I am sure drove him nuts and made him rip some hair out[:)]. Again, I was not trying to jump on you and hope you understand. And just for good measure---"Hey Tim, now that you are out, when are the new LED blade holders coming in?"[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]Just screwing with you, I already read the other post...

Cain

***A man is known by the enemies he carries, so make the best ones you can.***

***Give me a decent foothold and I will move the world.***

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

Artifical_Lynx
02-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Nah, it's just that he's really busy trying to make so many blade holders and he is just one man. I couldn't keep up with a store like that on my own. So it's understandable on how long it will take before they come in. I'm not jumping on anyone's case and if it looks like I was I'm sorry but don't take it the wrong way. I'm sure he'll make enough for everybody.[:)]

Strydur
02-10-2006, 03:06 PM
ETA should be around 2 weeks for the following..

Vader conversion kits.
MHS LED blade holders.
LED quickchange kits.

In the works..

Anakin conversion kit.
A piece that goes on the end of the blade holder that will make it look like the EL style 4 emitters and another with slots instead of circles.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

OB Wayne
02-10-2006, 03:08 PM
i guess my biggest question is how do you heatsink and mount the luxeon star 3W in the original housing of the anakin saber? any help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to hold my self over 'till kits are produced.

xwingband
02-10-2006, 03:33 PM
It'd be the same as before the heatsink would just be sandwiched in there unless Tim has changed his basic idea.

OB Wayne
02-10-2006, 04:28 PM
and what would that original idea be? sorry if i missed somewhere else.

xwingband
02-10-2006, 07:57 PM
The Vader conversion was a modified version of his old blade holder (think the modular one minus the threads) that just slid into the top. The anakin I assume will be the same with the emitter and pin details.

Strydur
02-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Thats correct. The new vader ones will require allot less work for me and be made specifically for them. The price should be lower than before also.

The Anakin ones will have the holes to reuse the little push in pins or I might make them threaded for the stock graflex pins also. And the emitter part will be close to the original. This all just requires allot of machining and calculating for what angle the side holes are at etc etc..But I will get them done.

I am pretty sure I will be adding a kit for the Luke also, I think I can design a kit that would not require maching the hilt like I was doing.

I will then be looking into the Mace.

I will of'course also be looking into any new FX sabers that come out.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Artifical_Lynx
02-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Alright, I can wait til then. Just have to find some thing else to do in the mean time. [:D]

OB Wayne
02-10-2006, 10:14 PM
i hope its not too much to ask, but would it be possible to get captions for the pictures in the Anakin tutorial like the Vader tutorial so its easier to understand what exactly it is that you're doing in the pics? that would be awesome if you could do that.
thanks[:D]

Strydur
02-10-2006, 10:53 PM
I will do it when I have kits to show how to install them.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

OB Wayne
02-11-2006, 10:22 AM
strydur, i found an idea for a blade holder for the anakin conversion kit. i don't know if its possible for you to machine something that looks like this, but its an idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-Lightsaber-Blade-Socket-for-EL-LED-Conversion_W0QQitemZ8764465387QQcategoryZ154QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

xwingband
02-11-2006, 10:43 AM
He's already been planning on one like that for a real graflex...

Strydur
02-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Actually I allready had some made up for EL but the holes where done off center so they are being redone. But yes I will do something similar for the anakin but it will have the emitter part also.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

ishoog
02-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Are conversion kits still available? I can't seem to find them in the store.

xwingband
02-17-2006, 11:54 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ishoog

Are conversion kits still available? I can't seem to find them in the store.

Nope, not at the moment. Tim is working his butt off trying to get all this stuff out to us.[:D] He's working on it...

Artifical_Lynx
02-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Well I used my Vader and reused the Blade holder I already broken the MR Blade which came with the vader. The blade holder is untouched. So its the quality of the blade that counts not the Blade holder or some call it the stock housing.

Strydur
02-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Put a good blade in it though and the blade holder becomes the weakest link.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Artifical_Lynx
02-23-2006, 01:24 PM
yeah that is true Tim. you are right on that one.

OB Wayne
02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I know everyone wants a LED conversion, and that's nice and everything, but I was wonderin' if MRs can be converted to EL. Also, if I really don't care about authenticity or looks, can a Vader conversion kit fit an Anakin saber?

Strydur
02-24-2006, 07:01 PM
If you are not worried about how it looked at all then yes you could probably make a vader kit work in a Anakin.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

OB Wayne
02-24-2006, 11:36 PM
that's a handy piece of information right there, thank you much. appreciate it.

also, would i follow the same installation of the blade holder that is in your vader tutorial to make it for anakin? i.e. cutting points and wire soldering.

And the even bigger question is when the anakin conversion kits come out, will I be able to swap the vader holder in my saber for the anakin? in other word, are the holders backwards compatible for the anakin saber?

LAN-ED-TUL
02-25-2006, 08:52 PM
you might see some mods you made to fit the first that wont be the same on the 2nd. so you might have to change something here or there.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

OB Wayne
02-28-2006, 08:43 PM
My question was never answered, CAN MR BE CONVERTED TO EL? or is it ONLY possible with LED

xwingband
02-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah, if you could fit the electronics. You could bypass the LED stuff for the inverter but only the 6 cells which are already cramped for space would have the voltage to run it. The reason Luxeon conversions work so well is because we don't really have to change much with them.

Plus the drop in brightness from the base MR to EL would suck.[:p]

<center>http://www.geocities.com/ghost_soldiers_unit/gs_banner_trans2.gif

Protein5000
03-01-2006, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't recommend EL. I've made EL's and am betting LED is a heaps better for this.

Less talk, more action........

LAN-ED-TUL
03-01-2006, 02:06 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by OB Wayne

My question was never answered, CAN MR BE CONVERTED TO EL? or is it ONLY possible with LED

the thing is, why would you? led is so much better than el. i have 3 els and 2 leds and both my leds are far brighter than the el's are. and less of a hassle on the blades. on el's you have to worry about that mono plug solder connection breaking and all. not on led's however. nuttin in the blade.

xwingband
03-01-2006, 06:27 AM
I suspect he likes the uniform color more, but whatever... his choice. It'd be a pain.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-01-2006, 05:25 PM
yeah, thats my point too. it would be a pain and a waste too.

OB Wayne
03-01-2006, 05:29 PM
can someone link me to a tutorial for luxeon 3W mod of anakin lightsaber. i can't find the one on jedi coucil forums. that was metioned elsewhere.

xwingband
03-01-2006, 05:46 PM
Which Anakin? The RotS is right here (unfinished since the kits are on the way, but if you mean the AotC good luck. I've seen Ultra do it but it's in the same boat as LED to EL, it's a pain.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-01-2006, 07:50 PM
someone here on a different thread posted a link to someone , and i checked it so i know its there, for a aotc saber conversion.

OB Wayne
03-02-2006, 02:53 PM
i was talkin 'bout ROTS, finished of course, cuz i know theres an unfinished one here, i was reffering to a finished tutorial somewhere else that has info for installing and heatsinking the led in the STOCK saber.

LAN-ED-TUL
03-02-2006, 05:19 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by OB Wayne

i was talkin 'bout ROTS, finished of course, cuz i know theres an unfinished one here, i was reffering to a finished tutorial somewhere else that has info for installing and heatsinking the led in the STOCK saber.

xwing said the rots is here on this forum. its not complete yet since the kits arent in. but tim said he would finish it once they arrived.

suit_man
03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
he said a tutorial for the stock saber, i am guessing that he wants to reuse the stock blade holder.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

xwingband
03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah, Tim's will show how to use the holder he sells but not the stock holder.

OB Wayne
03-06-2006, 03:33 PM
and my question is still not answered.[:(]

Do-Clo
03-06-2006, 03:51 PM
The question you are asking is, can the Vader MR be converted to EL? It could be done but be prepared for some work as you will have to gut the hilt and make room for the extra batteries and for the el inverter. You could ask Tim to machine down an el blade holder to fit in the Vader hilt. If I remember correctly the first Darth Vader Mr saber was EL anyway I would just look for one of those and save the work conerting a newer model to el. The Anakin episode 2 MR saber is also EL.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

xwingband
03-06-2006, 04:10 PM
He means directions to set the LED in the stock holder and be properly heatsinked, etc...

Do-Clo
03-06-2006, 04:40 PM
"My question was never answered, CAN MR BE CONVERTED TO EL? or is it ONLY possible with LED"

I thought this was his question???

Do-Clo

xwingband
03-06-2006, 04:43 PM

can someone link me to a tutorial for luxeon 3W mod of anakin lightsaber. i can't find the one on jedi coucil forums. that was metioned elsewhere.

That's what he meant^^^ at least I believe so...[?]

OB Wayne
03-06-2006, 07:17 PM
xwingband has it right

Do-Clo
03-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Ok, right answer wrong question

Do-Clo

OB Wayne
03-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Anybody know what Ultra Sabers uses for a blade holder or know how he makes his LED MR conversions?

LAN-ED-TUL
03-07-2006, 08:01 PM
pvc i think

UltraSWG
03-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Anybody know what Ultra Sabers uses for a blade holder or know how he makes his LED MR conversions?

It's a little improper to ask about someone elses product on TCSS's forum. If you want to do a conversion yourself, buy Tim's conversion kit. He'll have Anakin ROTS kits soon enough.

And no, Lan, I don't use PVC. I haven't used PVC as a blade holder since Strydur started making machined aluminum holders, which are of much higher quality and a hell of alot easier to use.

But anyway, this is a TCSS forum, so talk about TCSS products, which I highly endorse and use myself.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity

OB Wayne
03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
well dude, it looked to me like you were using a stock blade holder, so i was wondering how that was done since there aren't any nice aluminum holders that can be used at the moment.

but thanks for the concern. [;)]

UltraSWG
03-08-2006, 07:26 PM

well dude, it looked to me like you were using a stock blade holder, so i was wondering how that was done since there aren't any nice aluminum holders that can be used at the moment.

Well, dude, you didn't look hard enough

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=83

Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity

OB Wayne
03-09-2006, 06:47 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by UltraSWG

Well, dude, you didn't look hard enough

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=83

Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity

but those are for vaders, i want an anakin. i could use a vader, but i'd have to figure out how to drill holes for the pins.

BTW, how does this kit differ from the original when installing?

OB Wayne
03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
double post

If i wanted to use a WHITE LED with COLORED DISCS, how well does it work. what i mean is, how do the colors look. i saw the ones in the store, but was wondering how well they looked if you say combined two of the discs to form a color like blue or red. how bright would it be and would it look descent.

james3
03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=21

xwingband
03-09-2006, 10:24 PM
james3, thanks for posting that link.

OB Wayne, Time to womp you.[:(!] You're not new so stick your head outside of this thread. You missed the entire LED colors forum?!?! I just put colors in the FAQ today... I feel friggin' useless!

james3
03-09-2006, 10:59 PM
xwing your doing awesome and I know here soon anytime someone asks a usual question we can all just post the link to the FAQ.

UltraSWG
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Oh, speaking of the FAQ, here's one you can add for MR conversions. I have to answer this question many times every day:

"After the conversion, will the light still grow and retract?"

Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity

xwingband
03-10-2006, 11:35 AM
That hasn't come up here too often but you are so right. Thanks Ultra.[:D]

OB Wayne
03-11-2006, 12:25 PM
well then, i guess i'll just have to do a straight blue LED wihtout disc/filter.