PDA

View Full Version : Free CMMS for tracking materials and labor

Rhyen Skytracker
06-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Here is a free CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) I use a different one at work to track and manage all of our Assets, Inventory and even schedule PMs on all out equipment. I never thought of using it to track all my saber work and materials I use before but I think this may work great and best of all it is FREE. The only downside is the time it takes to initially set it up. I am thinking we can set up all the cost of our parts and even wire and when you use that part for a saber you make a workorder for that saber and just attach the parts to it and it will automatically drag the cost for that part to the work order. Then you can add your time to the work order and it will give you YOUR total cost to make that saber. You can even use it to keep an inventory of all your parts and it will let you know when you are running low and give you a reorder report to tell you which parts you need. I know this may be overkill for some people but if you make a lot of sabers it could come in handy. Here is the link: http://www.maintenanceassistant.com/support/general/Faq.do?kbI=7

Let me know if you think this is a good idea.

FenderBender
06-13-2010, 02:43 PM
hmmm.....check it out I will:D

Rhyen Skytracker
06-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I have implemented 3 different types of CMMS in the past 7 years at Georgia Perimeter College where I work at and they have helped us to become a whole lot more productive and our equipment has lasted way longer than it should have by being able to schedule preventive maintenance on it. I haven't used this one yet but I will try to set it up next week and let you know how it works out. I am not sure if you can export and inport data but if you can I will try to set up the parts from TCSS for my system and I can give you the export file if you want it.

xl97
06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
I also suggest anyone who has 'clients' and needs to work with or collaborate with them on builds/projects use somethign called Project Pier.

makes communication and resource (images..etc) management easy as pie.

plus all communicationsd are recorded for reviewing later.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-13-2010, 06:48 PM
xl97, is that software free? Do you have a link for it. I will take a look at it. I know that with most CMMS software you can attach documents/pictures to the workorder too. The CMMS may be a little overkill for what we need it for but hey, it's free. lol

xl97
06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
xl97, is that software free? Do you have a link for it. I will take a look at it. I know that with most CMMS software you can attach documents/pictures to the workorder too. The CMMS may be a little overkill for what we need it for but hey, it's free. lol
http://www.projectpier.org/

I dont think its the same as what YOU have and are using.. (different use)

this is more for 'collaborating' with others on (whatever)..

I use it alot for my freelance work.. I have clients from all over the world..

90% I never meet face to face.. all communication and work is done usually through project pier.

you can set milestones, project outlines.. upload resources..and post.. think of it as a 'mini' forum.. where only assigned people can talk/collaborate..

"I" sometimes work with other developers on a team (my team).. and can assign them to projects as I see fit.. all email notification when a new post comes in..etc

just something nice for organizing and collecting communication for project stuff..

Rhyen Skytracker
06-13-2010, 07:54 PM
I am on the Georgia Energy Council and I have to work with other people all over the State and I think Project Pier would be great to help us out. Thanks for the link.

xl97
06-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Im not sure how old it is.. I think originall it used to be called ActiveCollab...but then it went private... Project Pier is the Open Source version I believe still around.

"I" peronsally love it.. I mean its not PERFECT.. and takes a bit of playing to understand the naming and the options..

but you can make your 'company profile'..and then add all the people/members you work with in there..

everytime you have a new project.. make a new one..and add any/all members to that project..

once you create project and add them..they all get notified there is a new project waiting for them..

its almost identical for the 'client side' too.. you make anew 'client'.. and add people/contacts to it.. and you can of course add who you want on that side to the projects as well.

check it out.