PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

DarthSwoyer
06-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey, I was fiddling with the MHS builder and came up with this design. I really like it but I was wondering how it would be wired with the main body reversed like it is, and if the powder coating is possible on the choke and pommel. Any input would be appreciated as well.

http://i46.tinypic.com/259j42v.jpg

Sloda Foade
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I don't know about the PC question, but there are a couple of things about the parts

1. I believe that particular main body has a weakness at the opposite end from the switch. Tim (Strydur) has mentioned that some of the main bodies should not be used this way round.
2. the covertec clip is right on the threaded area and MAY cause problems with damaging the threads causing an inability to remove the pommel. Some people have done this sucessfully, but you have to make sure all the threads are clean and undamaged. It might be safer to move it forward on the main body a bit more so it doesn't go through the threads.
To see where the threads are, turn on the thread hints in the MHS designer.

I like the clean simple design by the way

DarthSwoyer
06-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't know about the PC question, but there are a couple of things about the parts

1. I believe that particular main body has a weakness at the opposite end from the switch. Tim (Strydur) has mentioned that some of the main bodies should not be used this way round.
2. the covertec clip is right on the threaded area and MAY cause problems with damaging the threads causing an inability to remove the pommel. Some people have done this sucessfully, but you have to make sure all the threads are clean and undamaged. It might be safer to move it forward on the main body a bit more so it doesn't go through the threads.
To see where the threads are, turn on the thread hints in the MHS designer.

I like the clean simple design by the way
With the main body issue, would it just be difficult to wire properly, or is it actually impossible to have it that way? Regarding the covertec piece, I hadn't thought of the placement interfering with the threads, I'll just move it down.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-11-2010, 04:39 PM
In that main body the threads that are on the end where you have the choke are very close to the threads and when dueling or spinning the saber in that configuration it will put a lot of stress on that area and you will risk the hilt breaking at that point. With it swapped around and having that at the pommel end there is not that much stress on the part when dueling or spinning the saber.

Sloda Foade
06-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi again, the problem is not in wiring the hilt, (you can put a switch anywhere you like as long as you can wire it) but that the placement of the threads so close to the machined area causes a weakness in the aluminium and could snap while duelling, from what I have read.

EDIT: I was incorrect, you are using a type 3 main body, the problem is with the type 4, sorry, so you could probably use this as in your drawing.

DarthSwoyer
06-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi again, the problem is not in wiring the hilt, (you can put a switch anywhere you like as long as you can wire it) but that the placement of the threads so close to the machined area causes a weakness in the aluminium and could snap while duelling, from what I have read.

EDIT: I was incorrect, you are using a type 3 main body, the problem is with the type 4, sorry, so you could probably use this as in your drawing.
Would you mind linking me to where you got that info? Id like to read a little more about it.

DarthSwoyer
06-11-2010, 05:16 PM
After some quick photoshopping, we have the reversed version of the hilt. I actually think I like this one better. Thats one problem solved. Still curious about the PC though.

http://i45.tinypic.com/110ge80.jpg

Darth Quin
06-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I believe it is one color only per part, but you could add the black with enamel paint I have found some nice blacks at the hardware stores.

Sloda Foade
06-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Here is the link to the main body part 4, look under the description area for the info you seek.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Hilt-style-4-with-standard-style-switch-hole-P103.aspx

Lord Dottore Matto
06-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes, the Powder Coating is possible, but it may not be a service that Tim offers. Send him an email and ask. the worst thing he can say is "no".

DarthSwoyer
07-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes, the Powder Coating is possible, but it may not be a service that Tim offers. Send him an email and ask. the worst thing he can say is "no".
what email address do i sent the inquiry to?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
07-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Send it to:

sales@thecustomsabershop.com