PDA

View Full Version : I'll just leave this here...

tullfan81
06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Enjoy!

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html

Shadar Al'Niende
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Link does not work...

tullfan81
06-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Oh, it works alright...but the site has been inundated with connections. I would keep trying, or check out the thread at FX...
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=24216.0

There is more info there.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
haha, link posted above does not work for me either...

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

Lord Maul
06-10-2010, 10:27 PM
You have to be able to see the Jedi Lounge for the FX link to work. I think it's 100 posts or something like that.

Wicked lasers have been discussed here before. They're pretty cool little things, I'd like to own one eventually.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
You have to be able to see the Jedi Lounge for the FX link to work. I think it's 100 posts or something like that.

Wicked lasers have been discussed here before. They're pretty cool little things, I'd like to own one eventually.

Thanks for the info maul, i give up anyway ;)

Darth_Dadderall
06-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Story on these bad boys at Gizmodo:
http://gizmodo.com/5560206/

I like the artwork, reminds me of Sloda's War Machine hilt. :D

GreaSyde
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
So funny. I was just about to post this here. The design is pretty sick. The green ones have the same "hilt" for $100 less. Sounds like a future project for me...

Sloda Foade
06-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I wish War Machine was this good. One wonders what you would do with a portable laser, certainly not spint it around in a public place, people would get blinded.

But it is still cool...Laser envy :)

cardcollector
06-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I so want one. It will replace my pocket knife.:D

Just kidding, that is too cool, I wonder how long it will take for the politicains to outlaw them...

Goltar Bias
06-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Would be fun to have to say you realy do have a laser weapon you can carry. Not to mention looking at thing it just looks like a sweet hilt design.

Sloda Foade
06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I wonder if they sell the empty hilt on its own?

Lord Maul
06-12-2010, 12:23 AM
I so want one. It will replace my pocket knife.:D

Just kidding, that is too cool, I wonder how long it will take for the politicains to outlaw them...

They are already illegal. Wickedlasers ships them in boxes labeled as custom pens. Anything above like 4mW is illegal to have.

ARKM
06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Hey look it has my mini tactical rails on them. Oh wait, I haven't made any yet. Stupid Wicked Lasers. ;)

Skottsaber
06-16-2010, 05:58 AM
I just saw these on Sky news.

The device - with a beam 1,000 times stronger than sunlight on the skin - is touted by makers as "the most dangerous laser ever created".
Trading standards chiefs said they were "seriously concerned" about the sale of the model and have warned against its use.
As well as blinding, burning and causing cancer, its Hong Kong-based maker admits that "a split-second laser light in a plane ****pit (...) can be disastrous".
Star Wars fans are among hundreds of people who have already shown an interest in buying the laser, for sale to the general public for £135.

Take this seriously guys. This is no toy. It's extremely dangerous.

cardcollector
06-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Take this seriously guys. This is no toy. It's extremely dangerous.

Just like a gun- treat it with respect and it won't hurt you.

Skottsaber
06-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Thats my point. There are people who WON'T treat these things like guns, or even weapons for that matter.
I know countless people who wouldn't think twice before shining a 'laser pointer' in somebody's eyes. If wicked lasers are targeting Star Wars fans and marketing it as a lightsaber, then obviously people are going to use these in mock 'duels'. So the first wave of injuries start, somebody goes blind, somebody gets burned, and Lightsabers, and Star Wars fans get a bad name because of a few immature fanboys and wicked lasers.

And who will seriously use the shades that come with?
:): Hey.. I better protect myself.
:cool:: Hmm... I can't see the beam anymore.
:grin:: Thats better... AAAH MY EYES!!!!!
:(

cardcollector
06-17-2010, 07:12 AM
You can't fix stupid.:cool:

ARKM
06-17-2010, 09:25 AM
You can't fix stupid.:cool:

Well you can... but it's permanent... and fatal. ;)

Strydur
06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Anyone else think we should not even post this info? I think it is cool but its like playing Russian roulette, its just a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Skottsaber
06-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Personally Strydur, I think we should.

I do not support these lasers, their purchase or usage. And I don't think TCSS, or the custom lightsaber community for that matter, should either.

Sunrider
06-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I think educating people about the dangers of laser diodes & high power leds is the key. Both can be dangerous. Maybe some sort of warning information is in order for the uninformed. Just like with any weapon knowing the dangers is the key to safety. Ignoring the fact that these types of things are becoming more available is dangerous as well.

TroyO
06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
They are already illegal. Wickedlasers ships them in boxes labeled as custom pens. Anything above like 4mW is illegal to have.

Do you have any refrences for that? I'm curious.... I think most of the LED's we use in sabers are considered "Class II" laser devices... or some such.

I'd be interested in doing some research on it. Laser Class levels, the law and YOU!. LOL.

Interesting find though...

(Off to play on Google...)

LastODJedi
07-01-2010, 09:21 PM
The 1w Blue Laser is a class 4 laser. There are a few videos on YouTube demonstrating the amazing power of this laser. I have been considering purchasing one, but now I don't know.

The other thing I've been trying to confirm, but can't, is what the range is on the laser that the beam is most dangerous. I've heard that it is only the first 3 feet, but I have yet to confirm that.

Matt Thorn
07-02-2010, 02:46 AM
I have to admit, when I first looked at the link, I laughed, because it was so obviously intended to look like a lightsaber. But, seriously, what legitimate use is there for it, apart from the "amaze (and possibly blind) your friends!" factor? Sending Morse code signals to the Moon? If this was an experimental device, or intended for strictly scientific purposes, I would have no objection to seeing it linked here in the "New technology" section...but this is actually for sale to anybody willing to fork over $200. All their disclaimers about danger are pretty much negated by the fact that they ship them with false labels. This is clearly not a responsible company. I'm thinking links to this company don't have a legitimate place here on the TCSS forums.

Just my two Republic Credits.

Obi-Ben
07-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Looking at this I can't help but want to buy one, but really, what's the point in owning one? It's not a useful tool and it's too dangerous to "play" with or show to friends. I'm glad you posted the link, because as a design it's quite nice--I think there are a few of us who might borrow some of its design elements for our lightsaber hilts.

JediMedic
07-06-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/06/light.saber.lucas/index.html?hpt=C2

Old GL seems to think he owns the rights to all cylinders. Wonder if our hobby will be the next victim of his ego?

Sunrider
07-06-2010, 04:05 PM
I've seen a lot of SW saber hilts & the laser looks nothing like any SW I ever saw. Corporate egos strike back!

Matt Thorn
07-06-2010, 04:06 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/07/06/light.saber.lucas/index.html?hpt=C2

Old GL seems to think he owns the rights to all cylinders. Wonder if our hobby will be the next victim of his ego?
I think it has less to do with ego than with corporate image. This laser is wicked dangerous, and you, I and anyone who's ever seen Star Wars knows that it is intended to resemble a lightsaber. I believe the point of the C&D letter is to very publicly disavow any connection with a product that is certain to lead to injuries. If it was simply about jealousy guarding trademarks and copyrights, Parks Sabers would have been shut down long ago.

Sunrider
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Could be. It's kinda funny that the lightsaber is supposed to resemble an extremely dangerous weapon and if someone actually created one they would be in legal trouble even though it is a fictional weapon.:lol:

Shadar Al'Niende
07-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Funny thing you say that...

From the Lucasfilm press release:

It has come to our attention that a company called Wicked Lasers is selling a highly dangerous product out of Hong Kong that is designed to look like a lightsaber from Star Wars. This product is not licensed or approved by Lucasfilm in any way. We have demanded that Wicked Lasers immediately cease and desist their infringing activities. As Wicked Lasers itself admits, this product can cause serious injury to the user and other people. We strongly discourage consumers from purchasing it.

*source* http://scifiwire.com/2010/07/lucas-decries-real-lights.php

ARKM
07-07-2010, 01:49 PM
First of all I don't want to buy this laser. I have absolutely no use for it and I understand the dangers of it. However... "Lucas" (when I say Lucas, I mean his business holdings, not the man himself) doesn't have a case and if there's any justice left in the world, the judge and/or jury will see it that way too.

Wicked Lasers have not used any copyrighted terms when marketing this product. They have not once mentioned the words "Star Wars" or "lightsaber" or anything near it. In fact, this laser looks more like a tactical assault rifle accessory than a Star Wars one. Regardless, it is most certainly not infringing on anything Star Wars related. However because of all these websites stating that it resembles a Star Wars lightsaber, it got Lucas' attention and that company wants to make sure that they in no way endorse the product or are affliated with and are not mistakenly sued by anyone getting hurt by it.

Apparantly Lucas feels that a lawsuit is the answer. This is not Wicked Laser's fault, this is the fault of every website out there comparing it to a lightsaber. If Lucas is going to sue anyone, it should be the people behind those websites, not Wicked Lasers. If WL had shaped it like a gun, Paramount (Star Trek) would be suing which again would be just plain stupid.

Now as for that laser being possibly illegal in the US, that's a matter for US customs/law enforcement to pursue on their own. As such, I hope Lucas loses... big time.

Skottsaber
07-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Remember, its not just websites and blogs.

I heard this on the news, and it said Lightsaber™ right there. They mentioned Star Wars™, and Jedi™.
And hearing it on the news, is effectively advertising.

There is a lot more scope for this.

Sunrider
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Yup, it's simply people calling it a lightsaber that started this. I am kinda into lasers & have seen whats on the wicked site for a couple years now.

The spyder 3 has been on the market with green diodes that can pop balloons for well over a year now. Only after the 1w blue diode was put in it did lucascorp start complaining. I guess you start infringing on SW technology once you go over the 1w power threshold.

Matt Thorn
07-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Lucasfilms' threatened lawsuit (and it remains just a threat at this point) is no doubt legally baseless. But that doesn't make it meaningless. At the risk of repeating myself, I think Lucasfilms' goal is not to jealousy guard intellectual rights, but rather to vehemently distance themselves from a dangerous product.

In this day and age, when parents are quick to blame anyone and everyone but themselves for their children's tragedies and/or stupidities (particularly if that someone is a big corporation with deep pockets), I think Lucasfilms' actions are perfectly reasonable. And I seriously doubt they will put much effort into pursuing legal action against Wicked. Lucasfilms' job here is finished. Now, when some idiot files a lawsuit against Lucasfilms, blaming them for the fact that her son burned out his little sister's eyes with one of Wicked's lasers (because, of course, it's Lucas' fault for popularizing the whole concept of the lightsaber), Lucasfilms has a stack of very public documentation to fight back with.

I don't see why people are so quick to portray Lucasfilms as the villain here. TCSS would not exist if Lucasfilms was so jealous of their intellectual rights. (Just imagine if Disney owned Star Wars!) They know that its fans like us who promote the Star Wars franchise during off-years when there's nothing in the theaters or on the TV.

ARKM
07-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Matt, you make some good points. I should have uses "baseless" instead of "meaningless" and your right, I also believe that it's not about intellectual property in this case but about distancing themselves from a potentially harmful product.

I guess I'm just upset because they have threatened to sue and don't have any actual legal basis for it. I understand their reasons, I just don't agree with the steps they have chosen to pursue regarding this matter and I hope the "law" sees it that way too... if it come downs to that.

Basically instead of issuing a C&D and threatening to sue, they should have just stated to anyone who asks their legal dept. that they are in no way affiliated with Wicked Lasers and do not endorse their products. They also could have released a public statement on their various websites regarding this.

Sunrider
07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I think Lucasfilms' actions are perfectly reasonable. And I seriously doubt they will put much effort into pursuing legal action against Wicked. Lucasfilms' job here is finished.

I agree if it stops there but the cease and desist letter did say stop or legal action will be taken in one week. It is true that there are corporations that are worse than lucasfilm in this way. I can't help but be disgusted with what the legal system has become.

Matt Thorn
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
ARKM, Sunrider, you are certainly correct about the bizarre and "extra-legal" way in which the civil law system is (ab)used these days. But considering (http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/crestview-30688-manga-mom.html) the disturbing (http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=3962) precedents (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1295920.stm), I can't blame Lucasfilms for trying to cover all their bases.