PDA

View Full Version : "Mantis"

Crystal Chambers
06-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I've never seen anyone post images like this before so I hope it's not a problem. I couldn't resist.

This is my first completed saber since I joined here 8 months back. I will be updating it as I make a few small upgrades and get better pictures of it lit.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Mantispost1.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Mantispost2.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Mantispost3.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Mantispost4.jpg

The overlay was designed in illustrator, printed and test fit until ready to cut. I used 2 coats of white primer made for aluminum, and then krylon spray paint to do a white, ivory, and classic grey fade with a light dusting of flat black. I did this when the primer was dried but not cured knowing it would cause a crackled effect for that extreme conditions look. Very unpredictable because some types of paint make bubbles like this, but worked to my liking in this case. Then I baked it at 300f for 30 mins. I then used really skinny painters tape to mask off the area for the next fade of terracotta, burgundy, and black with a light dusting of navy blue. After scuffing with steel wool, sandpaper and a file, I coated it twice with enamel clear satin finish and baked again for 30 mins at 300f.

The MHS parts underneath were originally media blasted. I thought this would make for an interesting texture to weather, so I sprayed a thin coat of tremclad bronze and gave it a light sanding and then the same for a light dusting of flat black. I coated it twice with enamel clear satin finish and baked again for 30 mins at 300f.

This was actually my second build for the contest as I got inspired and felt the newer design was better. It's my first MR board and I put the sensor in the choke so it reacts VERY well. I wanted to add a LED driver but this thing is SOOO crammed

Lawrs1
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Thats a great looking saber, I really like it, you have done a great job

Rhyen Skytracker
06-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Awesome saber. That was my favorite in the MHS category of the contest. Great job.

bk_renesis
06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Great looking saber it just oozes coolness... Overlay rocks, name rocks, blade colour... ROCKS!!! Sabers like this are hugely inspiring and make me want to build more!!! Well done both thumbs up for another "real" saber...

Darth Midian
06-10-2010, 04:16 PM
CC, that is a great looking saber. The cuts on your overlay are very clean. That had to be a pain to cut. The weathering you did is also awesome. That's a great idea for a display rack.

JamoUp
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Looks great. You have real talent with the paintng and weathering of that shroud.
I find that switch with the bezel is hard to turn off. How is it working for you?

Shadar Al'Niende
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Crystal,

I really like your presentation.

I really find that you have a creativity, (not to mention a gender) that is sorely lacking in this hobby. Your use of enamels, weathering etc is simply genius. you have been a great addition to have here on these forums and an inspiration to many, myself included. Thank you for your contribution to the hobby, your saber makes me happy :D

*Edit* images re-sized

Clockwork
06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
As you know, this was my favourite MHS saber. Which says something, considering it wasn't steampunk! Excellent work

ARKM
06-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Nice overlay and paint job.

Et Kin Evenstar
06-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Crystal,

I really like your presentation (i think its larger than the 800x600 but otherwise is fantastic)

I really find that you have a creativity, (not to mention a gender) that is sorely lacking in this hobby. Your use of enamels, weathering etc is simply genius. you have been a great addition to have here on these forums and an inspiration to many, myself included. Thank you for your contribution to the hobby, your saber makes me happy :D

Ditto what Shadar said. The hard work and patience you put into this build and how you presented it really shows. Very, very nice job!

HAVOK
06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Crystal, awesome saber. I love the design theme and the overlay. Excellent work. I would love, however to see this in a ..green oriental theme. Being called the mantis and looking so agressive like it does, I think making it a sister saber, but a sith, with jades and a more oriental feel would be amazing!

awesome pics BTW, way to keep the nature theme!

akaius skystrider
06-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I absolutely love this saber! The weathering, the shroud work and the paint job are just spot on awesome! I also dig the name and concept behind it. Again fantastic.;)

TimeRender
06-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, I think you already know how I feel about this one. The only important thing I can ask now is... when can I commission you to paint one for me? :D

Xoultrain
06-10-2010, 09:10 PM
As with all that i've seen from you, I love this saber!!! This one takes the cake, though!
I can't express the envy I have for this saber!! Your paint skills are most impressive!(sorry, channeling Vader here)

sks1138
06-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I really like this saber. It was my favorite from the MHS sabers. The overlay, x-wing paint scheme, and weathering are all awesome. I want one.

And as a fellow graphic designer I like the pic layout as well. Great work.

Ki-Djowac
06-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Congratz on this saber. Definitely looks amazing, along with your presentation.

My first thoughts would be that this would be the perfect saber you would find aboard an X-wing.

Rafalema
06-10-2010, 11:42 PM
This was easily the best MHS. It is beautiful.

The overlay has a very smooth cut, and the paintjob is just simply amazing.

So is your presentation.

(And signature :))

Matt Thorn
06-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Sweet work. Was "preying monk" an intentional play on words? ;)

Crystal Chambers
06-11-2010, 05:02 AM
Wow so much to reply to...I will keep my answer simple and just say yes...lol

But seriously you guys are so awesome to be as helpful as you've all been and also to appreciate everything that went into this build. Considering this is my first completed and posted saber, this is all so overwhelming. :DAll the posts and PM'd compliments,feedback, and even criticism are very welcome.

To answer some questions...

Darth Midian - Since I drew this on illustrator and attached it with spray adhesive the hardest thing about cutting this was breaking through some reinforced cut-off wheels but even more so was filing the angles and curves to be consistent.

Jamo-up - Yes I'm really not crazy about the switch. The most aggravating part is when you bump it, it cuts out and turns the blade back on. I also was unaware that the Mace board has what appears to be a DPDT so when I turn it off the retraction sound won't activate. But that should be easy enough to fix. I plan to make a small switch plate with a low profile latching slider.

Shadar - I wasn't sure if size would be a problem since it is just a link really. If this is a problem I could re-size or do a new layout if need be. It is actually four parts that appear as two. I'm not sure why the bottom scaled itself that way.

Havok - that is not a bad idea..Jaded Mantis..Sith version. I would make a few other changes but similar style.

Matt Thorn - touche!..lol...normally I would have been more thorough in my spelling. One more small correction to make.

I would love to pretend this saber is perfect but this is my first MR board. I don't think I could fit anything else into it it is sooo crammed. I waited till the day of the deadline to wire it and I couldn't really ask for help. I did well considering...just a few small fixes. Aside from the switch issue, a week later the amber LED started blinking which is what I wanted but this LED isn't supposed to blink. Also I need to fix the sensor so it won't move. It was working really really good but it shifted position and the clash won't work now. When it was optimal the clash went off almost every contact. Better then in the MR hilt actually.

Since this is how I entered the saber I think I will have to make a new thread for the upgrades.

I have 4 other sabers that just need some final touches on the hilts and wiring so I should have some new sabers up really soon! To top it off for those who didn't catch me bugging out, in the same week as the contest I got a CFV5! So exciting!:D

Darth Midian
06-11-2010, 07:08 AM
CFV5, That should be a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what you do with that.

JamoUp
06-11-2010, 09:03 AM
The mace board should work with a regular latching. That's what I have in my contest saber too. Make sure the batteries are fully charged. Metz boards can stop doing random things with low battery.

Crystal Chambers
06-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks jamo....I'm pretty sure it's not a power issue.

Part of the switch area of the board seems to be fried ( the switch that came with it doesn't work) so I bi-passed it by soldering under the board and it appears to be a DPDT situation...the blade deactivation needed to be turned on...so the saber is always on unless you have a killkey or remove batteries.

I think the DPDT slider will be a better choice if it works. Like I said the switch on it now cuts out when you lightly bump it....barely decent for stunt sabers IMO.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-11-2010, 11:02 AM
The Mace board has a 4 wire switch but you only need to use 3 wires with a DPDT switch. I have the wiring diagram that I ohmed out at home somewhere.

Rosedale
06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Beautiful saber!

Borax
06-11-2010, 12:15 PM
MANTIS!!! I love this saber crystal. I wish could have voted twice.
The cut outs are so neat and clean, and just grab the eyes!. Topped with the paint job... there is nothing I don't like about this one. Great job on the photo sets as well. I am greatly looking forward to your next sabers.

Kastor
06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Excellent job, looks fantastic. I love to see a nice painted saber, so rare. Keeping in style of classic Star Wars art as well, I guess being a graphic designer pays off, lol.

cannibal869
06-11-2010, 03:26 PM
wow what a great saber!! And your first to boot!
Strong work!

mongo
06-11-2010, 05:57 PM
VERY,VERY,VERY,NICE:D
This chick can build em yo

xl97
06-11-2010, 08:44 PM
I really enjoyed this saber.

seriously great work. its just looks very clean & functional.

I got an 'x-wing' feel from it as well..right from the jump.

looking forward to more builds from you.

Crystal Chambers
06-14-2010, 04:58 AM
lol...awesome....you won't be waiting long! Another one coming REAL soon.

Arm on Fire
06-14-2010, 06:03 AM
I am really digging this saber, excellent job CC :)

Shadar Al'Niende
06-14-2010, 06:32 AM

*squeals with ecitement like a little girl*

"SQEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

*looks around, suddenly aware that others can hear* :cool::D

Seriously though, i am way excited to see what else you have up your sleeve!

xl97
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM

good.

I bet it will be nice.

you impressed alot of people with that, be happy. =)

Crystal Chambers
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm very happy. Totally excited still.

oh yeah and....it's done!..lol
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=172090#post172090

I just added the paint/weathering method on the first post.

Battle_1
07-05-2010, 06:54 PM
How much would it cost to buy it from you??????????

Matt Thorn
07-05-2010, 07:06 PM
How much would it cost to buy it from you??????????
I jokingly replied to your other post about Demonica, but I should point out that discussions of buying and selling are verboten here on the TCSS forums. These are the forums of the store, after all.

Crystal Chambers
07-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Totally Matt...and I'll more or less repeat from that post.

Although I appreciate the interest shown, we are not allowed to do any sales anywhere on this site including PMs.

Since placing 2nd in the contest with this one, I won't be selling it because of what it stands for to me. I will be doing builds in the future which will be for sale and resemble some of the ones I'm posting now, but the sales will be conducted on another forum.

MedicineMan
12-22-2011, 07:14 AM
CC, I absolultely love this saber! The shroud work on it is impeccable. If this saber were to be mass produced, I'd seriously drop credits on it :) Love what you did with the choke too. Very inspirational.

Ripper
12-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Great looking saber it just oozes coolness... Overlay rocks, name rocks, blade colour... ROCKS!!! Sabers like this are hugely inspiring and make me want to build more!!! Well done both thumbs up for another "real" saber...

This saber is one that make me try harder!! It's just so dog on awesome!! I just really love this saber. I like it so much I have been wanting to copy it for a while now. Just waiting for more skill. lol Great Job!!

Crystal Chambers
12-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks guys.:D

The popularity of the overlay cuts and weathering have definitely inspired a slew of possibilities. I've been developing the general style further and sometime in the not so distant future will be doing some variations. The newer versions will have move comfy grip, chassis reveals, and custom switches like I've been doing lately. They will not look like standard MHS and will be custom or heavily modified. Plus now that the bar keep rising and we've got PC with FOC and RICE you can be sure any evolution will be epic.

Kreyhn
02-07-2016, 10:04 PM
The overlay work is incredible! I really like how you've worked the buttons and ports into perfect positions around it.