PDA

View Full Version : The PVC Saber I built for DJ

Darth Midian
06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
DJ asked me to build him a custom pvc saber, this is what I came up with. He just asked me to paint it gloss green and black, with a p4 green led and a green AV switch. The main body is 1" pvc. The grips and 1st layer of shroud is 1 1/4" pvc. The outer layer of shroud is an 1 1/2" pvc. It has a p4 green led, a resistor, green ring AV switch, 4 AAA batteries, and the new translucent white 1" thin walled blade with 6' of cellophane in it. To get the AV switch to fit into the 1" pvc I had to stack a piece of the 1 1/4" and
1 1/2" pvc along with the AV switch bezel. Instant pvc switch box.

psab keel
06-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Very cool looking saber. If the Green Lantern had a lightsaber I suspect it would look something like that.

DJMoonbass
06-08-2010, 10:53 AM
ive just been so impressed by jacks PVC hilts i had to comission him to make me one. i had no idea he would build one as cool as this. he went above and beyond my expectations. i cant wait to recieve this saber as it will go with my mando costume. thanks again DM. this thing is just awesome.

Rafalema
06-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Another PVC beauty.

Great work.

Skottsaber
06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
As always, very nice work. This pushes PVC sabers to the limit. I wonder if you could fit a new 2010 board in there?

HAVOK
06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
gotta love the PVC!!!

ChapterEleven
06-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Wow, you're really cranking these sabers out fast!

Darth Midian
06-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Thank you everybody for the positive feedback. I'm really happy with the way this saber turned out. This has to be my favorite design to date. DJ, thank you very much. Psab, I didn't even think of The Green Lantern, that's pretty cool I can totally see it.

Et Kin Evenstar
06-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Thank you everybody for the positive feedback. I'm really happy with the way this saber turned out. This has to be my favorite design to date. DJ, thank you very much. Psab, I didn't even think of The Green Lantern, that's pretty cool I can totally see it.

Green Lantern was the FIRST thing I thought when I saw this.

As everyone else has said, awesome, awesome job.

Sloda Foade
06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
This is a really great PVC saber, love the layered shrouds. looks great. I never thought of using green, but it really works on this one

ARKM
06-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Nice PVC hilt. I like the layered emitter shroud.

Darth Midian
06-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Green Lantern was the FIRST thing I thought when I saw this.

DJ you may have to consider calling this one The Green Lantern:) Again, thank you for all the positve feeback.

Jedi-Loreen
06-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Let's not be talking too much about commissions, guys.

Nice saber, DM.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-08-2010, 07:07 PM
great work, i wonder... how do you secure the allen head's? just tap it and glue it? do you bolt them?

Rhyen Skytracker
06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Great looking saber. You can't even tell it is PVC. Great job.

DJMoonbass
06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
hmmm.

names: which one?

Paradox
Pendelum
Pantera
Pulsar
Proton
Providence

Vazan Maceu
06-09-2010, 12:36 AM
You know, PVC rocks all the way for saber building :D

hmmm.

names: which one?

Paradox
Pendelum
Pantera
Pulsar
Proton
Providence

Sounds like proton for me.

Sloda Foade
06-09-2010, 01:55 AM
What about Pulsating Verdant Construction, or Primo Veridian Creation :)

Skottsaber
06-09-2010, 05:36 AM
I like Paradox :wink:

Et Kin Evenstar
06-09-2010, 06:41 AM
What about "Parallax?" At onepoint the most famous GL (Hal Jordan) became a super villain by that name. Geek mode off! ;-)

Darth Midian
06-09-2010, 08:15 AM
great work, i wonder... how do you secure the allen head's? just tap it and glue it? do you bolt them?

Shadar, Thank you. I use 8/32 brass wood inserts or the inserts found in the furniture parts of the hardware section. It just depends on whatevers available at the hardware store. I cut them in half, it can be a pain in the rear.
Thank you Wade and J-Lo, I really appreciate the feedback from you guys, and all the veteran sabersmiths. DJ, I like the sound of Paradox. It was almost to easy to say Pantera, being that I'm Dimebag Darrel fan. Here is a pic of the furniture insert. The brass wood insert is pretty much the same, except that it's slotted at the top for a screwdriver. It's a bit blurry, sorry.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Shadar, Thank you. I use 8/32 brass wood inserts or the inserts found in the furniture parts of the hardware section. It just depends on whatevers available at the hardware store. I cut them in half, it can be a pain in the rear.
Thank you Wade and J-Lo, I really appreciate the feedback from you guys, and all the veteran sabersmiths. DJ, I like the sound of Paradox. It was almost to easy to say Pantera, being that I'm Dimebag Darrel fan. Here is a pic of the furniture insert. The brass wood insert is pretty much the same, except that it's slotted at the top for a screwdriver. It's a bit blurry, sorry.

gotcha, that is what i use on my pvc sabers, just wanted to be sure that you used that many, as i generally only use that for the retention screw A-La-Jay's tutorial ;) Thanks again for the clarification.

DJMoonbass
06-10-2010, 12:06 AM
and Paradox it is!

Darth Midian
06-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Awesome.

Crystal Chambers
06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
That emitter overlay is really nice...First PVC I've seen with an AV switch that I recall. Oh yeah..contest saber but I didn't realize it was PVC till the contest was over.It's funny that the AV switch probably cost more then the pvc, and anything else for that matter..lol

Darth Midian
06-10-2010, 08:16 AM
CC, that's true. The switch is the most expensive part. You just have to love those switches though. I also used an AV switch on my tonfa/staff saber. I used a red one for that saber, I couldn't find a purple one.

DJMoonbass
08-01-2010, 04:41 PM
i recieved darth midians saber yesterday. and i was absoultely astonished by the quality of his work. he went above and way beyond my expectations... everything is top notch. the work he must have put into the prepping of the PVC is beyond me. everything is cut very symetrical and sanded very nicely. the paint job is superb and i was most impressed with the elctronics. very nicely assembled especially the custom battery pack...

i am also impressed with the way he mounted the LED. he sandwiched the LED, lens, heatsink, in between two peaces of poly c blade stock and either glued ro bolted them down im not sure.

this has to be with out a doubt the best quailty PVC saber i have ever seen.

thanks again big time to Darth Midian.

Darth Midian
08-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Thank you DJ. The blade stock that's holding the led & heatsink is screwed in place.

JRD1
08-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I made some PVC sabers for my kids too, and if I figure out how to post them I will. I like your designs a lot!

RevengeoftheSeth
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
This is by far the best PVC saber I have ever seen. I aspire to be that gifted with crafting PVC.

I am going to try my hand at PVC hilts in the future, once I get the necessary tools (miter saw, dremel, drill press), but since I just switched jobs (military to civilian), I took a huge pay cut.

Just out of curiosity, what would you say the total build cost was? Rough ballpark is fine.

DJMoonbass
08-09-2010, 03:22 AM
the total build cost was 110.00 about. i would know ;)

but we also need to respect tims rules here and make sure we are not talking about sales and stuff. cost of production in general is okay i would assume but just a friendly reminder.

but paradox is totally awesome!!! my GF will not put it down. she basically stole it. :rolleyes: very well built. Darth Midian has some serious skill.

JRD1
08-09-2010, 07:02 AM
the total build cost was 110.00 about. i would know ;)

but we also need to respect tims rules here and make sure we are not talking about sales and stuff. cost of production in general is okay i would assume but just a friendly reminder.

but paradox is totally awesome!!! my GF will not put it down. she basically stole it. :rolleyes: very well built. Darth Midian has some serious skill.

DJ, I was only giving him an idea of the cost since you were offline last night:p That "is" a good lookin saber, and Darth Midian has some mad skills for sure! Good luck getting yours back from your girlfriend... I only get to see the kids when they are sleeping!LOL And I deleted my earlier post, so we are sure not to break any rules!:P

Darth Midian
08-09-2010, 08:36 AM
JRD1, & Revenge, Thank you. DJ that's to funny that your GF claimed your saber. Were you expecting that? It really makes me feel happy & thankful that you & GF like your saber. Thank you.:D:D:D

Jin Ke
08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow... I missed this one! That is a awesome saber, and by far the best pvc hilt I have seen... Love the design... :)

Darth Midian
08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Wow... I missed this one! That is a awesome saber, and by far the best pvc hilt I have seen... Love the design... :)

Thank you Jin. I had a lot fun building that saber.