PDA

View Full Version : Rebel green LED and Crystal Focus

Picky
06-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Hallo everyone. I am planning to build a lightsaber with these features:
- Crystal Focus v5
- 4 AA rechargeble batteries
- momentary on/off switch (silver guarded)
- aux. momentary switch (the little tactile one)
- rebel green LED
- recharge port = general power switch
- speaker = the one that comes with CF
The question is: I read how calculate the resistor, but I saw that CF uses 3.3V while the Rebel LED has 3.4V and 700mA, so how can this be true?
(3.3 - 3.4)/0.7 ?!
Have I to calculate the resistor with the batteries voltage (4 AA are 6V, right?)?
(6 - 3.4)/0.7

Thank you!

Rafalema
06-07-2010, 11:23 AM
CF s minimum voltage is 3.3v max is something like 11v

Jonitus
06-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Hallo everyone. I am planning to build a lightsaber with these features:
- Crystal Focus v5
- 4 AA rechargeble batteries
- momentary on/off switch (silver guarded)
- aux. momentary switch (the little tactile one)
- rebel green LED
- recharge port = general power switch
- speaker = the one that comes with CF
The question is: I read how calculate the resistor, but I saw that CF uses 3.3V while the Rebel LED has 3.4V and 700mA, so how can this be true?
(3.3 - 3.4)/0.7 ?!
Have I to calculate the resistor with the batteries voltage (4 AA are 6V, right?)?
(6 - 3.4)/0.7

Thank you!

You don't need a resistor to limit current to an LED when connected to the Crystal Focus board. The CF regulates voltage and current based on the settings in the configuration file stored on the microSD card in the board.

You can very easily hook your CF up to a 6v source, and properly configured, the CF will drive that rebel LED at its proper current and voltage...and do so for a long time...the CF regulates, so it doesn't bleed off excess voltage as heat like some other boards.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Another point worth mentioning, if you do not already have your CF (I am assuming you do, but for other member's sake) they are notoriously difficult to obtain.

Darth Xusia
06-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I would suggest that you read the manual for previous Crystal Focus boards to understand how it works. The manual for the V5 is not released yet, but the other manuals will give you a good idea.

Lord Dottore Matto
06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Jonitus has already answered this question perfectly, however (a word to the wise) if you plan on working with CF you need to read, digest and completely understand the manual before you begin or the result will be woe and tears (and a FUBAR'd $200+ soundboard).

Picky
06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Ok, thank you for the suggestions. I misunderstood the manual, sorry ...
About the CF, well, unfortunally I don't have it yet, but I' planning to buy it from Plecter Labs: I'm saving money and hopefully I will be able to order it this week.
Can I ask anther thing? I thought to build a plastic tube on witch I will glue the elctronic parts, to put inside the hilt (as the battery pack of MR or Hasbro FX), it wuold be fixed with the same screw of the lateral D-ring: do you think it is a good idea?

FenderBender
06-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Unfortunately, you misunderstood again. You will not be "ordering" anything, as the CF's are only available in small batches and usually sell out in seconds. Literally. You have to learn where, when, and how to get one;)

Rafalema
06-08-2010, 04:50 AM
I don't think a plastic tube would make justice to CF

EDIT: Sorry it seems I can't read. I fail.

mihunai
06-08-2010, 06:52 AM
I think you should stick around, read some, make a testsaber
and when you are absolutely sure how the CF works,
ask and read some more and then wait
for them to become available and give a go at getting one.

Just my 2 credits...

mTm

Crystal Chambers
06-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I don't think a plastic tube would make justice to CF

It might do justice as a sled! He mentioned mounting to a plastic tube to put in his hilt.
The next run of CFs are sometime this month I believe, but they're only available for literally a few minutes

Rafalema
06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I seem to be blind at the moment.

Little editing does the trick.

Picky
06-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, maybe I didn't understood correctly the entire process, I will take information and then I will see what to do.
Thank you all for the answers.