PDA

View Full Version : Arduino?

Joxman
06-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Has anybody tried using an Arduino or ArduinoMini for a sound board with clash sensors, LEDs etc.

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMini

If there already is a thread please direct me to it.

xl97
06-07-2010, 05:11 AM
DO a search.. it has been tried.. with 'some' success..

however this was more for an LED driver/brain.. and no 'sound' has been tested as far as I know.

however he has coupled/piggybacked it with a 616 board for sound having the Arduino control it..

TroyO is the member who has done some work using the Arduino..you can also search YouTube for his vids on it..

Joxman
06-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks xl97 :) I didn't realize I could do a search.

I know the potential of using an Arduino for a Saber is there. The UltraSound 2.5 is sold out and no longer in production as far as I know, So alternatives will need to be sought, and $119 is quite expensive compared to a $30 Arduino.

Are there other alternatives to UltraSound that I'm not aware of?

Thanks again for your reply, and telling where to go and how to get there :P

xl97
06-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks xl97 :) I didn't realize I could do a search.

I know the potential of using an Arduino for a Saber is there. The UltraSound 2.5 is sold out and no longer in production as far as I know, So alternatives will need to be sought, and $119 is quite expensive compared to a $30 Arduino.

Are there other alternatives to UltraSound that I'm not aware of?

Thanks again for your reply, and telling where to go and how to get there :P

You can buy MR / FX boards..or buy FX sabers and gut them for their sound cards.

Look on ebay for US boards or MR/FX boards too.

wait a bit for the TCSS board to be available..

In the end the Arduino option will cost more than $30 for sure...

the 'Arduino' (IMHO) should not be used in a saber as a final installment... you should use the Arduino development board for precisely that..development only. once you are satisfied with your code/project you would then port it to a final PCB

(with all the other components you'd need)

such as stuff for your led driver portion, power/voltage regulation, if you are trying for sound...then possibly SD adapter..etc..

before you get there..I suggest you get an Arduino 328 Duemilinove dev board...
a bread board and/or Arduino shield

SD breakout board

search for driver schematics that TroyO posted..or go to Instructables.com and find one (or google)

and do MUCH testing before you even think about getting a final solution..

I mean you could try to throw an Arduino nano into each hilt..but it 'shouldnt' be necessary in the end (especially with all the other components needed)

Joxman
06-07-2010, 07:51 AM
I hear ya. I've been doing some research. Including a post you made at the Arduino Forums where Grumpy_Mike was being a jerk :)

In my mind, at first, I was thinking of basically plugging in an accelrometer, LED, SD Card reader for sounds, speaker and power into an Arduino. And then doing the fun stuff of coding and experimenting. I already have the board you suggested :)

How does one convert over to a PCB with developed code? I would appreciate any advice or links to further my knowledge :)

I do have most of the FX Sabers (just missing Darth Maul and Yoda) but they are all working quite well and I don't really want to cannibalize them. By the time I get all my other resources together (I'm just in the research/planning phase) the TCSS board will probably be out.

Do you know when it might be available?

Thanks again :)

xl97
06-07-2010, 08:03 AM
re: TCSS board - No clue when its to be released... I wouldnt think 'TOO' long though..

my firts suggestion would be to NOT use an accelerometer at first..and just try a simple sensor detection approach.. (this routine can always be swapped otu for an accelerometer based checking routine)

Im not sure what it all takes for sound through the Arduino.. read a few tuts.. saw some libraries.. but havent gottenthat far myself..

for you..Id get an SD breakout board..
the Arduino already have power..etc.. and a proto shield or breadboard to add other stuff on like an LED driver

in the end once you are happy wth yoru code/sketch/program.. just pop the chip out of the Arduino board and into your PCB/final layout a barebones Arduino kit are available everywhere.. and its really only a Atmel 328 chip, some resistors, caps, 5v regulator and a crystal

I think total is about $8 bucks or something? Home brew/etch a DIY pcb and your in business..lol

Skottsaber
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I will look forward to whatever this blooms into. However... since Tim is releasing a soundboard this may have to be discussed elsewhere.

xl97
06-07-2010, 10:36 AM
This has already been touched on.. we are NOT selling or even implying that this will lead to a retail ANYTHING... also there is no links to buy things..

its just an 'idea' that a few people want to persue individually/personally...

Its the people who join the thread to 'wait',.. that make this into some sort of 'product'..

for 99.9% of everyone.. this stuff means nothing.. dont have the drive to learn or play .. they want an end result.. thats NOT WHAT THIS IS...

from the RFX to te Arduino.. its been nothign but a few people who like to play talking....and sharing for free the vids or crap we learn.. never once has anyone implied making a 'product' for sale from any of this. now that thats been cleared up..

this still is NOT perfect solution..

and here is why I say that.. hardly ever will get a generic platform/engine applied for a specific task/project that will be 'better' than a device built with that specific purpose/task in mind.

and thats what is going on with both the RFX and the Arduino stuff. great generic platform to do many things.. but it was not ever a lightsaber specific ANYTHING..

trying to bend the available options/features for that purpose is what we all are trying to do..for fun.

I dont think anyone argues the fact that buying the TCSS board of CF board wouldnt be the prefered, easier approach. But for DIY geeks this stuff is fun.. and keeps us entertained.

Think of this as a personal project for an individual.... Dont wait for anyting to bloom.. get out there and start playing! There is no 'reward' in the end except personal fun/satisfaction..

Joxman
06-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Exactly. I'm new to electronics and designing and/or creating something for my saber would be awesome. I would have no problem sharing my code or design layout and see if others could improve it. I'm a definite DIY Geek who is currently just learning to crawl as far as electronics go.

If I do buy a board I would hope that there would be code customization option aside from an auditory menu (I don't think it is possible with pre-assembled boards .. is it?)

I'm still doing much research. TCSS Forums seem to be a great community for sharing and improving stuff. :)

xl97
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
as long as we keep in mind that first & foremost, this forum is a 'bonus' provided to us by Tim/Strydur as part of his 'store front', which sells many things.. and goes above & beyond to make it a one stop shop. He listens to the community and tries to stock what is best for the commuinty and his customers.

so as long as things dont get too in-depth abotu code and links on where to buy things.. I think general 'talk' is ok.. abotu what people need to understand when taking on a project like this.. and really what this project was/is.

There have been a few off-shoot sites the more in-depth discussions have been moved to out of respect for Tim.