PDA

View Full Version : RGB LED question

Bianchi
06-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Hello again, fellow crafters.

I have a couple questions (as always lol) for those with experience with RGB LEDs (the 3W type):

1. Any recommended brands?

2. Is it possible to use potentiometers to mix the R/G/B components to obtain a wide scale of colours? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

(the info on this thread will result in a new saber or pike. Pic lovers won't go unrewarded, lol)

Sunrider
06-02-2010, 07:39 PM
brands are led engin , luminus;) , cree ect. Grab a couple pots & adjust color to your liking. Be quick & careful or the smoke will be let out.:) Measure pots & replace with correct resistor.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Pay close attention to the specs of the LED before you buy it. Some of them require higher voltages than we normally use. (6 - 18 volts) Try to get one where the voltage for all the colors are around 3 volts like this one. http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/LedEngin/LZ4-20MA10/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsgllGlynFdfmGmPi%2fWuWTC3paNzKlFDP8% 3d (the picture of the LED is not the right picture)

Bianchi
06-02-2010, 09:55 PM
brands are led engin , luminus;) , cree ect. Grab a couple pots & adjust color to your liking.

Got it.

Be quick & careful or the smoke will be let out.:) Measure pots & replace with correct resistor.

By smoke being let out, do you mean overheating?
So it's not possible to make an adjustable colour saber...it must be fixed with the proper resistors...did I get it right?

EDIT: what kind of potentiometer should be used? 100k? 250k? (I'm really a noob for electronics.)
And do you guys know any wiring videos for such LEDs?

Rafalema
06-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Adjustable sabers are possible.

If you want a true color change with potentiometers, you have to get at least 3 of them.

Then you have to try the RGB out with some resistors to get to know how much is a good resistance for the colors you want, and then buy the right potentiometer.

If you want a single switch color change, you could go with a DIP switch.
I have absolutely no idea how to wire them.