PDA

View Full Version : Led upgrade question

Agelessanarchy
06-02-2010, 05:30 AM
Ok I searched for about 3 hours last night and just got more confused as I did so I'll just post my question here. I am upgrading from a lux 3 (blue) to a less seen lux 3 red orange. My curent set up is using a MR FX board running off of 4.5v the specs for the blue is 3.9FV @1a but the spec for the red/orange is 2.95fv@1.4a so what I'm trying to find out is can I run the red/orange off the fx board? Just a simple swap? Can the led Handel the higher voltage? Some of the post I saw said they could some said no otheres didn't specify.

Any advise from some of the more seasoned vets? On a side not I was thinking of running 2 700ma buckpucks in between the board and the led to get the 1400ma I need if this won't work either pls some one stop me now!

Thx

Rafalema
06-02-2010, 05:34 AM
The red-orange will easily handle the extra voltage. I have that sort of setup right next to me.

Though it will not be as bright as if you would drive it with 2 700 mA pucks.

I don't think you can use buckpucks with MR/Hfx board due to their low LED output voltage. The pucks need at least 5 and MRFX boards put out about 3 volts. (Just multimeter'ed)

Agelessanarchy
06-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Rafalema u are a lifesaver! That's the info I was looking for.

Rafalema
06-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Always happy to help.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-02-2010, 06:38 AM
If you are looking for a red LED that will work great with the MR/Hasbro FX board try using a P4 Red. I have had great results with those.

Lord Dottore Matto
06-02-2010, 03:52 PM
That MR board puts out ~1A which is fine for your R-O. It will not be maximally driven, but I doubt that you will notice a difference (to the naked eye) since the R-O's are VERY bright. You could use the pucks if your battery solution were 6V, but like I said, there is really no need.

Agelessanarchy
06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Thx everyone for the great feedback. I think I'm going to just keep my curent setup(running just the fx board to drive the led) and swap the blue for the R/O which is what I was hopeing I could do.

DJMoonbass
06-03-2010, 11:55 AM
posts pics when you is done kk?