PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on designs?

DarthSwoyer
06-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Here are some designs Ive been tinkering with, just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think about them. Ill post powder coated versions when I have the chance to make them, for now there is only one powder coated one.

http://i49.tinypic.com/crt37.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/3498846.jpg

DarthSwoyer
06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Ive narrowed my choice down to either #2 or #4, i just need to find a way to simulate powder coating now

Sunrider
06-01-2010, 05:58 PM
4 is played out, do 2;)

Rhyen Skytracker
06-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I like the 2nd one from the top best.

DarthSwoyer
06-01-2010, 06:02 PM
I agree, #2 it is. Now to fiddle with powder coat designs... :)

Crystal Chambers
06-01-2010, 06:08 PM
2 is nice but I think the pommel angle doesn't match so well IMO. I think the shorter angled one matches the angle on the BH, or one with rings or even the luke rotj ones.

DarthSwoyer
06-01-2010, 06:24 PM
out of these 3 pommel choices, which do you think looks best?

http://i45.tinypic.com/2vuhc92.jpg

TimeRender
06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Third pommel. No contest.

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Yep third pommel

Vlad Doon
06-02-2010, 02:08 AM
It seems we all agree. A fair hilt, not too fancy, but elegant, well balanced. IMO, I'd see it not too powdercoated if you plan it as a jedi saber, Maybe white or flat aluminium, with red switch ???

Ulstergeki
06-02-2010, 06:52 AM
i think white could look pretty fancy. I agree with everyone else 3rd pommel.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Yep, 3rd pommel.

FenderBender
06-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Eh, I would've gone with the V1, powder coated and have the nubs knocked back off from Tim.

Tahm
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say 2nd pommel, (otherwise it makes this saber feel to "boxy" IMO) I would definitely PC the grooves of that gear peice to make them pop, maybe the stripes on the main body to match. Great choice in parts.

Crystal Chambers
06-03-2010, 04:21 AM
I agree on pommel 2 or the V1 or V2. The 3rd is ok.

Obi-Ben
06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
I like the first design the best (played out or not) and the first pommel. Take that, group consensus!

By the way, pommels are pretty inexpensive, so if you're unsure which one to get, buy both and see which one you like on your saber in person. If you keep doing that, eventually you'll have enough spare parts laying around to make a saber for a friend/sibling.

DarthSwoyer
06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
For those interested, I've pretty much concluded that I personally faroved the 2nd saber, and I have been playing around with coloring for a couple days now. As of right now, unless I get another idea or inspiration (this color coating design actually came to me in a dream last night lol) this will probably be the final design. One question I have though is with the MHS gear part. I want the recessed grooves to be black and the parts sticking up to be shiny gold; how would I accomplish this? Any input on how to properly do that would be appreciated, since i know it isnt a standard powder coating code.

http://i50.tinypic.com/sbomzl.jpg

Tahm
06-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Tim has done some custom powder coating for me before. I'd just send him the picture you posted and ask if he can do it for you, then get a price quote (There's a chance he'll have you put it in as custom work when you place the order) Then I normally send him another e-mail with the picture again this time with the order number. But double check with him on how you should place the order.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Tim has done some custom powder coating for me before. I'd just send him the picture you posted and ask if he can do it for you, then get a price quote (There's a chance he'll have you put it in as custom work when you place the order) Then I normally send him another e-mail with the picture again this time with the order number. But double check with him on how you should place the order.

Unless I miss my mark, all that PC'ing in the above render are stock services he offers (unless the yellow is a different color than sun gold) As for Ordering, i generally post a link of the photobucket image that i originally emailed him for a price quote. Custom work gives you that area in the form of description if i remember correctly.

DarthSwoyer
06-03-2010, 01:52 PM
what do you guys think about the gold MHS gear? I think it adds some elegance to the saber, yet it could be seen as throwing the balance off. If i didnt go with the gold id powder coat the grooves flat black and leave the rest bare.

Obi-Ben
06-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I like copper color better than gold, but either works. I don't know how the heck he could do duel powdercoat colors on that piece, though.

Tahm
06-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Agreed! I love the look of the copper. I don't own any gold PC'd parts so not sure of how that looks in person. It looks like the gear peices standard PC codes are for eveything or the grooves only. My guess it it would be custom. Ask Tim you should.

Jonitus
06-03-2010, 04:18 PM
It's a good design. The parts work well together. I have something similar on the bench right now:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/92bd341f.jpg

DarthSwoyer
06-03-2010, 04:33 PM
It's a good design. The parts work well together. I have something similar on the bench right now:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/sixmilliondollarman/92bd341f.jpg
that looks awesome dude, i have a couple questions about the saber if you dont mind.

1. Does the MHS gear come with that strip of flat area you have on yours?
2. What powder coat color is that yellowish color you have?

Jonitus
06-03-2010, 09:14 PM
that looks awesome dude, i have a couple questions about the saber if you dont mind.

1. Does the MHS gear come with that strip of flat area you have on yours?
2. What powder coat color is that yellowish color you have?

1. No, the MHS gear does NOT come with the flat area. You can email Tim about getting it done. Would fall under the "custom work fee".

2. Not powdercoating. What you see there is a baked lacquer paint - black base coat, copper top coat. It didn't turn out the way I had hoped, but I like how it turned out so I kept it.

Shadar Al'Niende
06-03-2010, 09:15 PM
...id powder coat the grooves flat black and leave the rest bare.

I like this idea.

DarthSwoyer
06-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, I have a new pic. I "powder coated" the MHS gear part a little better, and added one variation that i am considering. I am really caught between these two designs, I've been thinking about which one i prefer for the past 2 days... Also what blade colors do you think would look nice with this? I was thinking red or blue. I have a blue LED SI ultrasaber right now and it is very bright, I'm happy with the way the color looks so i might end up going with that unless red looks just as nice and more importantly, bright.

EDIT: the MHS gear will either be copper or sun gold, cant decide yet

http://i45.tinypic.com/aczjon.jpg

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I think the copper works better with those designs. I think it might look even better with the grooves on the #1 hilt done in copper too imo. But its a great design either 1 or 2.

Tahm
06-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Both designs look great! I'm partial to the first one mainly because the PC'd pommel doesn't appeal to me as much. Also it'd save some cash since it's one less part to have PC'd.

DarthSwoyer
06-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I think the copper works better with those designs. I think it might look even better with the grooves on the #1 hilt done in copper too imo. But its a great design either 1 or 2.

Now that I compare closer, I agree the copper might look better than the gold on the MHS. I want to keep the MHS gear the only copper colored part though so it stands out in that area, ya know?

Both designs look great! I'm partial to the first one mainly because the PC'd pommel doesn't appeal to me as much. Also it'd save some cash since it's one less part to have PC'd.

Thanks! Ive asked around at my school (and even showed some teachers lol) and the designs seem to have an equal number of votes. Honestly to me still, the choice is difficult. The first is more intense and detailed, but the second seems to have an understated elegance to me almost, it looks smoother. Ughh such a tough choice :p

Obi-Ben
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
My vote is #2 in copper. Hands down. Never underestimate "understated elegance."

Crystal Chambers
06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
The opinions of others are helpful in getting perspective but in the end the one that counts most is yours.

I like the PC in the rings..make it all pop more