PDA

View Full Version : Silver blade???

scaarmor
12-02-2005, 10:27 AM
I saw a company selling what they called "silver" blades. It looked more white with a hint of pink to me but I am mostly colorblind...I ask because a friend of mine wants hers made silver.Wouldnt it just be white then?If anybody knows the secret or if its even possible any and all help would be appreciated.On a side note I personally want a black blade.If it is merly tinted thats fine as long as it would still somewhat show at night,If anyone knows please help,but I think the black is most likely out as I see no real way of making it happen.

Cain

Strydur
12-02-2005, 11:11 AM
white EL looks silverish..I guess white LED does also sort of.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Stan Johnson
12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Black blade? An interesting thought to say the least. I wonder if you could stain the diffuser with a thin layer of paint or ink?

ntyatecafe
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Not sure if you could pull off a black one... Tinting the blade would make it look dark in daylight, but it wouldn't be visible at night, or if it was, it would just look like a dirty white or a faint white.

The problem here is that black absorbs the light instead of reflecting it out, and there is just no good way of projecting darkness with current technology. It would be a sweet looking saber though...curse modern physics!!! [:(!]

Silver sounds like a good idea...Definately use a white light source. Hmm...maybe a faintly tinted diffuser or film.... Small metal shavings in the tube may not be possible, or wise. Plus, there's no good way of getting highly reflective shavings in there...besides it would just add a sparkle effect instead of a color effect. I think that a white light-source with a faintly tinted film may be the best bet.

Basically, you want to tint the film enough to give the white light an appearance of grey or silver. Just coloring the film silver won't do it since silver is one of those colors that doesn't project. I'd suggest getting a white led, and play around with different tint levels on a scrap piece of film to try finding the right level/combination to achieve the desired results. If you find something that works, definately let us know!

Stan Johnson
12-15-2005, 10:14 AM
What if you stained the diffuser a really deep purple? That might look a little like black. Or people will think you're some kind of girly man running around with a purple lightsaber blade. On the other hand, Mace Windu had a purple blade, and he could lay the smack down.

UltraSWG
12-15-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure I started the whole "Silver blade" thing by using white LED's. But I didn't make the name up, it's in the expanded universe. You get a pure white blade by using a carbon diamond as the focusing crystal. A white bladed saber is called a silver blade.

A black blade could sorta be made by using a UV LED. Then you would have a black light saber.

scaarmor
12-15-2005, 12:10 PM
I was wondering the other day if it can be done and what it would look like if you used car window tinting inside the blade? would look black and still show light, granted not near as much light but enough to see. Besides, a black blade no matter how its done wouldnt show much light, but it would look cool!

Cain

informalmyx
12-15-2005, 12:14 PM
you could try the black tint with white el

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

Mystereon
12-15-2005, 01:53 PM
No really, please stop.
Dark glasses filter out bright light, It's what they do.
A Darksaber, nice concept, but sadly one that will remain so.

Now you can buy rgb Luxeons, so I guess with all three on you could adjust your tint backwards from white.

The White 5 Watt Luxeon does look silver.
Not sure about the 5 watt warm-white, but it looks cool.

I prefer a Mace FX II , with a 5w royal Blue Lux, with the pink diffuser, gives a cadburys velvet purple.
One for the ladies, and oh what a chat up line.
My saber is Deep purple.
"It's the longest one"
with the chocolate reference you know you're onto a winner!

UK JEDI MASSIVE

"There is no try, only do or not do."

scaarmor
12-16-2005, 02:38 AM
That is my problem--stoping... You see, I am not a person who can except the "it cant be done" logic. I am sure that some time ago it was said that making home made lightsabers to the caliber we are here could not be done and now look at us. Look at some of the sabers that have been made that have left the realm of "home made" and gone straight to "art". Just like anything else, or any other obsticale put in front of us, there is a way. All we have to do is find it. I am sure that when we do we will kick ourselves for not seeing it earlier as well. Besides, whats the harm in dreaming, experimenting and discussing the results.Good or bad there still results and that puts us one step closer. As I have said in most aspects of my life-The only way to know the right way of doing anything is to screw it up a few times to learn what not to do...

But enough of my mindless babling-please continue.

Cain

GeluKhanGharr
12-16-2005, 03:04 AM
I agree with scaarmor on the concept of trying until you get it done. But I still can't get it through my thick skull what a Dark saber is. I mean, to me, conceptually, a dark saber should be a black hole. Anything short of that is not a dark saber, but a saber that emits SOME light. Now all you have to do is choose your color and the level of it's brightness, but I think no matter what, you can't call it a Dark saber. It's not about the logistics but about the phisics of it.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

Mystereon
12-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Light exists on a spectrum.
Slow to fast.
So which direction then ? Ultralviolet or Infrared?
I thought that's what the sabers did anyway!!
Aaaah , you mean a radio-saber or a Heat saber.
But you said dark, which implies an abscence of light.
Now, light is a funny thing, light plus light , you would imagine creates more light but, no, in certain cases light can be made to defeat itself. Hence interference patterns and the process of creating holograms, using the said pattern plus a reference beam of columnated light to decode it. Clever stuff, you still with me?
Well.... If you could create two columnated beams , both having passed through a diffraction grating , so as to defeat each other at a certain focal length. Then you would have your 'dark' saber.

I love theorys..... Keep em coming.

http://www.caramelslice.freeuk.com/jedisig.jpg

xwingband
12-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Mystereon, where's the signature come from? It looks familiar, is it a sig from SW Epics?

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

GeluKhanGharr
12-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Mistereon, help me here. How would this dark saber LOOK lile to my eye?

http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

IsaiahRitchey
12-17-2005, 02:36 PM
To make a silver saber you could try using mirror film along with the fil used for making the LEd project it's light up the tube. Mkae sure it's mirror film that is NOT one way. More like car window tinting. I got some at TAP plastics. www.tapplastics.com I am not sure if it would light up lookig silver, but I can't think of howelse you could do it.

stealth

Mystereon
12-20-2005, 08:54 AM
www.chimerabespoke.com/darksaber.wmv

I know it's in negative, but i'm working on overlaying the original, to give the right effect.
Any help welcome.

And the sig comes from..well me, I did it in photoshop.
With the jedi font , It's all in english, if anyone can be bothered to decode it.

dralderlbot
07-28-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm sure you could simulate a black blade by trying to make the inside of the blade look dark with a halo of light on the outside of whatever it making it look dark . It would be like having a tube inside a tube with the light only passing between the two of them not from the inside of the first tube . Also i would suggest painting the inside tube black . IT really defeats the purpose of a lightsaber but I'm sure it can be done .

desertscorpion
07-28-2006, 12:55 PM
I'd have to agree with Scaarmor...

Obviously a real saber with "silver light" is impossible. But, I'm sure there's a way to construct a saber with some back lit silver film or something. The effect may not quite come out right in absolute darkness, but I'm sure something satisfactory could eventually be developed. The blade could kindof act like the clearcoat on a car's paint job in the "perception" of the color, even though it'd really just be a dimmer version of white. It probably would be less noticeable in complete darkness, though. I say go for it.

GeluKhanGharr
07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Have you ever <u>SEEN</u> silver light? Of course not. You can call very cold white light silver, and that's what a white LED will give you. As for the blade itself, if you use my polypropylene diffuser ideea, the blade will look slver when off:
http://www.illumisabers.com/miscpic/silverblade.jpg

http://www.illumisabers.com/signature.jpg
http://www.illumisabers.com

goldsaberwarrior
07-28-2006, 08:08 PM
there's a glitch on kotor2 that lets you get a black blade

Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

987654321a
07-28-2006, 09:21 PM
ya thats a game!!! in real life lemme just break it down for ya guys its impossible to have a black blade, you can have a brown blade, but neutral colors like black through light grey block out the light

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/9995/sithlord6jk8cr.png