PDA

View Full Version : Time to remove or rename this section?

Matt Thorn
06-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Really, how many people are making EL sabers anymore? Perhaps the section could be renamed "Other illumination technologies," and new subsections could be added for, say, LED ladders.

Just my two Republic Credits.

Do-Clo
06-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Matt EL is not completely dead, close and it might even be on life support,;)
But EL still serves many purposes yet as accent on sabers or other props. Maybe it should be named EL props.

je-rel drood
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
as a newcomer (to the behind-the-scenes side of things) i'm finding this rather interesting. It might not be the most advanced, but just as there are those with a liking for classic cars, I'm really looking forward to getting my nerve up to the EL blades.

*shrug* not sure why, but I guess I want to learn about it ALL! :cool:

vargose
06-01-2010, 04:45 PM
I do think we need a seperate section for the new LED String technologies

Skottsaber
06-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I do think we need a seperate section for the new LED String technologies

Agreed. It is becoming too bright too fast. We need some :cool:

Matt Thorn
06-02-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't know if we need a whole section for LED ladders--It's labor intensive, not good for dueling, and not likely to replace single high-power LED setups any time soon--but a subsection, definitely. And as Do-Clo pointed out, there are any number of uses for illumination technology, so a more broadly named main section might be more appropriate.

Caine Drathul
06-03-2010, 12:07 AM
I am surprised JL hasn't chimed in yet. ;)

Jedi-Loreen
06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
I think this section should definitely not be removed. If for no other reason than it shows where light up sabers first got their start. It's sort of a piece of history. And, I've written a lot of posts here. :p

Sometimes people want to try an EL saber just to try it get a feel for how it worked, and maybe for nostalgic purposes. I don't use my EL sabers anymore, but they are still a cherished part of my saber collection.

I could see maybe renaming and expanding it with other technologies, too.

mihunai
06-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I vote for renaming vs. removing.

Hey, there's an idea, how about a poll?

And J-Lo, might want to go grammar-nazi on your first sentence there, your missing a word or two ;)

mTm

Jedi-Loreen
06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
Argh. I've been kind of failing at proofreading my own posts lately. I changed the sentence, and forgot to add the words I needed for it to be complete again. :roll:

Matt Thorn
06-03-2010, 04:26 PM
I shouldn't have used the word "remove" in the thread title. Obviously, it would be stupid and wasteful to delete past posts. Whether or not someone wants to make an EL saber, there are still countless instances in prop building or costume making when EL is the best choice, and all the information here remains useful.

Lord Maul
06-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I agree that this section shouldn't be deleted, it is a piece of saber building history. Just like the thread on ASAP on the start of luxeon sabers.

I think that it could be renamed or just pushed down to the bottom of the forum index. The new ideas and technologies could be expanded to include LED strips

Caine Drathul
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I think this section should definitely not be removed. If for no other reason than it shows where light up sabers first got their start. It's sort of a piece of history. And, I've written a lot of posts here. :p

Sometimes people want to try an EL saber just to try it get a feel for how it worked, and maybe for nostalgic purposes. I don't use my EL sabers anymore, but they are still a cherished part of my saber collection.

I could see maybe renaming and expanding it with other technologies, too.

There she is! ;)

Yeah, EL is history....and just that. It is the roots of where we are now, and where we will continue to go...if you forget your roots, what have you got left?

Yep, it should stay in some way for sure. Just IMHO.

Crystal Chambers
08-13-2010, 07:07 AM
I think EL might be history for blades but otherwise I'd like to try it for hilts or other creative applications.

Jedi-Loreen
08-13-2010, 10:37 AM
They actually make an EL wire with an extended, flat edge to the sheathing to be more easily sewn onto clothing.