PDA

View Full Version : 1.25" sink tube, thick enough to tap properly?

Rosedale
05-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Is a 1.25" sink tube thick enough to tap properly and have threads hold, or would I need to use a nut to hold bolt etc in place?

Jedi-Loreen
05-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Nope, consumer grade sink tube is not thick enough, you'll only get about one thread in it, so yes, you'll need a nut.

jjshumpert
05-31-2010, 01:32 PM
so yet? i think you meant "so yes" :D

Jedi-Loreen
05-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Dang. Clearly I have not been proofreading my posts well enough lately. http://www.ocsws.com/forum/images/smilies/doh.gif

jjshumpert
05-31-2010, 02:19 PM
lol i corrected the master, now that sister is a first for me :D

Rosedale
05-31-2010, 02:48 PM
Nope, consumer grade sink tube is not thick enough, you'll only get about one thread in it, so yes, you'll need a nut.

Thanks, I assume that would apply to 1.5" sink tube too? I also assume that if one were designing a sink tube hilt with multiple button head bolts in it that you would only need to drill out the holes for placement, since the bolts will need to be held in with a nut anyways.

Shadar Al'Niende
05-31-2010, 02:53 PM
lol i corrected the master, now that sister is a first for me :D

Better watch out for the backlash :rolleyes:

sks1138
05-31-2010, 03:14 PM
I used denim jean rivets to hold my overlay piece on for my sinktube saber. They are a lot more flush on the inside than bolts would be. They're not perfect but it's my first saber and was a learning experience. You can see them on the side in these pics --->http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10504

jjshumpert
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
no worries shadar, she has bashed me over the head so many times with the grammar stick over the years that i dont even feel it anymore

and as to not completely derail the thread, so long as you are using a bolt and nut combination on the sink tubes they will be fine. you may however want to use some thread lock on them once you get into your final assembly so as not to work them loose during dueling

Rosedale
05-31-2010, 03:56 PM
I used denim jean rivets to hold my overlay piece on for my sinktube saber. They are a lot more flush on the inside than bolts would be. They're not perfect but it's my first saber and was a learning experience. You can see them on the side in these pics --->http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10504

Thanks, and nice work! Looks sharp lol!:p

Shadar Al'Niende
05-31-2010, 05:38 PM
no worries shadar, she has bashed me over the head so many times with the grammar stick over the years that i dont even feel it anymore

and as to not completely derail the thread, so long as you are using a bolt and nut combination on the sink tubes they will be fine. you may however want to use some thread lock on them once you get into your final assembly so as not to work them loose during dueling

I was being sarcastic, people tend to think J-Lo is out only to "get one over" on them, and when they correct her, tend to feel like she will have a personal vendetta against them. I think it's silly. ;)

Jedi-Loreen
05-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Like I've said before, I never claimed to be perfect.

And if I can't take it, I shouldn't dish it out.

I still don't like it when I make mistakes, though. :p

jjshumpert
05-31-2010, 08:48 PM
well i like it when i get the chance to catch it, but ya know its all in good fun :D