PDA

View Full Version : Question about MHS Aluminum

Knight Of The Republic
05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Hello guys. When I duel with my MHS saber, my hands (and my little boys hands) get black from the Aluminum that rubs off on my hands. Is this residue dangerous at all? Is there anyway of preventing this from doing this other than painting or powder coating it?

Thanks.

:-)

cannibal869
05-29-2010, 09:38 PM
AFAIK, as long as you aren't licking it off your hands and ingesting it, it should be safe. I believe there are some polishes you can put on it to help prevent it from rubbing off, but eventually it will happen. Just make sure to wash your hands after dueling and I think you should be safe. The alternative is to get dueling gauntlets, which might not be such a bad idea if you think about it.

sithlordfaust
05-31-2010, 01:51 PM
its just your own dirt + Aluminum Oxide. same thing in your arm pits at the end of the day. (most deodorants use aluminum oxide in them)

cardcollector
05-31-2010, 02:15 PM
However, keep in mind that aluminum oxide has been known to cause cancer in th state of california! :)

jjshumpert
05-31-2010, 02:21 PM
you always have the options of paint, powdercoat, and blueing. in my experience the paint works well but will eventually chip, the blueing will still leave residue on your hands, powdercoating is by far your best option imo

Palladian
03-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Just so you know I used to be a biochemist.

Definately follow the advice of washing your hands throughly after using. Aluminium is well known to accumulate in lymphatic nodes of the body and cause cancer which is why under arm deodorants with aluminium compounds increase your chances of breast cancer (yes males too!).

It's also found to cause plaques (think rotten tissue) in brain tissue and has long been associated with mental disorders especially Alzheimer's disease.

You won't find this information in many places because research that isn't backed by rich companies/corporations etc don't exactly hit main stream news!

This advice is more for softer alloys and pure aluminium itself as they are more likely to degrade thus enter the skin. MHS metal looks fairly tough to me so wouldn't (I think anyway!) be as risky as spraying aluminium compounds under your arm pits or cooking in aluminium pans, eating it etc.

There's also the arguement that there are aluminium compounds found naturally in soil and that we are therefore exposed to small quantities of aluminium anyway. But the aluminium found in nature is bound to larger molecules and is called 'alum' and research shows that this alum cannot pass through the skin.

The body has a natural ability to heal itself and rid itself of toxins and so alum or other aluminium compounds that do enter the body will eventually be excreted as long as the excretion rate exceeds the intake rate.

It is not known how much aluminum is needed to cause a toxic effect and it is likely that different people will require more or less of it depending on genetics, diet, other conditions/health and how much of other toxins may be present in the body.

At the end of the day as long as you don't take in aluminium from any other source and you wash your hands after playing with your lightsabers I wouldn't worry ;-)

Wong Yoon Wei
03-08-2011, 02:49 AM
Oh my, I didn't know my MHS saber is deadly. I just had KFC after playing with my lightsaber and I didn't wash my hand before that!!!

Invisas1979
03-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Oh my, I didn't know my MHS saber is deadly. I just had KFC after playing with my lightsaber and I didn't wash my hand before that!!!

Yes, but did you wash your hands after eating the KFC, the grease from KFC is know to cause a build up in bodily fats, so beware. Wash your hands after eating KFC or get fat hands... Ha ha ha

Interesting about the Aluminium but not sure it was worth reviving a thread this old.

Palladian
03-08-2011, 06:05 AM
lol, yeah didn't see the date of the thread. Was just browsing and thought I'd add.

You guys have got the right idea really - you can't take life too seriously all the time.

Makes you consider a lot when you are in the medical profession. Makes some people go insane looking into all aspects of their health and they suspect everything.

Just don't get me started on the KFC and your health issue ;)

Wong Yoon Wei
03-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Yes, but did you wash your hands after eating the KFC, the grease from KFC is know to cause a build up in bodily fats, so beware. Wash your hands after eating KFC or get fat hands... Ha ha ha

Interesting about the Aluminium but not sure it was worth reviving a thread this old.

Does licking my hands after eating count? I lick em' really clean, finger lickin' good!!!;)

Invisas1979
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Does licking my hands after eating count? I lick em' really clean, finger lickin' good!!!;)

Ssso that's why my tongue doessssn't fit in my mouttth any more. Ha ha ha

cardcollector
03-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Dadgumit you, now I want some kfc!

Skottsaber
03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Actually this WAS a good thread revival. Adding good info to old threads is totally cool, and encouraged.
This threadjack, though, kinda wasn't.

Thanks for the info Palladian!

Jedi-Loreen
03-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Yes.

But please keep this thread on topic.

Thanks

Loachri MacTalabh
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
When I clean off stainless steel counters the black stuff ends up in the towel.

Sunrider
03-22-2011, 06:44 PM
When I clean off stainless counters the something ends up in the towel.

Wut? :confused:

Jedi-Loreen
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
When I clean off stainless counters the something ends up in the towel.
I fail to see what this has to do with the thread topic.

Loachri MacTalabh
03-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I was saying the black stuff that comes off Aluminum and the black stuff that comes off Stainless Steel is almost the same chemical reaction. Food is prepared Stainless Steel Sorry if I didn't left out some words or make my self clear. Had a huge family argument at that second. It is edited now.

jin starkiller
03-23-2011, 01:24 PM
When it comes to aluminum and stainless the reactions that they do have are very similiar you will get black/ greyess residue if you don't wear gloves

Inferno
03-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Just adding my 2 cents here, but considering the shear number of products that use aluminum in some way shape or form that are available on the market currently... any significant risk is negligible at best. Odds are you are more likely to suffer being hit by a lighting bolt than suffer aluminum poisoning from a little dueling.

Jedi-Loreen
03-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I wonder if almost getting hit by lightning counts, so that I don't have to worry about actually getting hit? :p

Azmaria Dei
03-26-2011, 03:19 PM
if i remember right, you need trace amounts of aluminum in your diet anyway - and more than you'll get from aluminum corrosion absorbed through your skin.

and does getting hit with 3 phase AC floating in a circuit breaker panel being installed count? call me crazy, but the whole inside looked funny, like the metal was ... i don't know... fuzzy? blurry? more than was there? it looked powerful and out of focus somehow. anyway, i couldn't figure out what was wrong with it so i decided to touch it and found out. ^_^ i was 'enlightened' quickly.

cardcollector
03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
if i remember right, you need trace amounts of aluminum in your diet anyway - and more than you'll get from aluminum corrosion absorbed through your skin.

If you have drank more than 20 cans of soda... then yes. ;)

Jedi-Loreen
03-27-2011, 01:41 AM
It's "if you have drunk", not "have drank". ;)

cardcollector
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
It's "if you have drunk", not "have drank". ;)

I knew that didn't sound right... ;)

I just passed my college Composition test too! I done did real good. :razz:

Jedi-Loreen
03-28-2011, 01:43 AM
lol

Yew shure done thet alrite. ;)

Azmaria Dei
03-28-2011, 02:53 AM
lol

Yew shure done thet alrite. ;)

'yew' isa wud! it's 'yall'. gidit rite! ^_^

Jedi-Loreen
03-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Sence I ain't form the South, "y'all" don't come nacheral ta me.

Kental
03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Sence I ain't form the South, "y'all" don't come nacheral ta me.

:rolleyes: Y'all is not a southern word its an Old English word. It's in Hamlet and a quite few other old English works. Southerner's are just more refined then the rest of the States to be using such an elegant Old English word that has been used in such great works :D

Ronan
03-30-2011, 09:10 PM
:rolleyes: Y'all is not a southern word its an Old English word. It's in Hamlet and a quite few other old English works. Southerner's are just more refined then the rest of the States to be using such an elegant Old English word that has been used in such great works :D

I fell off my chair laughing.

Thats because i have a couple redneck/southerner friends and... :p

Kental
03-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Redneck is also not just a southern thing. You can be from anywhere in the world and be a redneck. That being said yes I have a few friends like that myself and proud of it. But some rednecks don't make up the whole of the Southern culture. I just hate the stereotype of the Southern people being dumb hicks that can't spell or talk. It's just as insulting as any other slur against a group of people and hope this is not the norm of the saber builders here at TCSS or I will be leaving and NOT buying anymore from TCSS.
But this is getting to be a highjack so I'll leave it there.

Azmaria Dei
03-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Redneck is also not just a southern thing. You can be from anywhere in the world and be a redneck. That being said yes I have a few friends like that myself and proud of it. But some rednecks don't make up the whole of the Southern culture. I just hate the stereotype of the Southern people being dumb hicks that can't spell or talk. It's just as insulting as any other slur against a group of people and hope this is not the norm of the saber builders here at TCSS or I will be leaving and NOT buying anymore from TCSS.
But this is getting to be a highjack so I'll leave it there.

please don't take it so seriously. we were making jokes and it should be treated thusly. some of my best friends happen to be southerners that are not rednecks. they do normally have a southern accent though, and that's a simple statistic. people talk a little different everywhere you go. and no one said that the whole of the south was full of rednecks, so your accusations are unfounded.

Loachri MacTalabh
03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
But this is getting to be a highjack so I'll leave it there.Actully, Rednecks came from the Appalachian mountains. A group of miners wore a RED bandana around their necks. Henceforth; they were called "REDNECKS" Check out the Hillbilly documentary on History channel it is hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus. (I may be mistaking about them being miners, but that's where the term came from.)

Azmaria Dei
03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Actully, Rednecks came from the Appalachian mountains. A group of miners wore a RED bandana around their necks. Check out the Hillbilly documentary on History channel it is hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus. (I may be mistaking about them being miners, but that's where the term came from.)

thanks for that Loachri. it's likely falling on deaf ears though. in the latest black blade thread, Kental made a good bye.

Skottsaber
04-01-2011, 05:44 AM
*waits for Ryhen to say something*

:D

Sunrider
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Here in Texas we joke about rednecks often. It is up to the individual to be offended or not. ;)

Loachri MacTalabh
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
thanks for that Loachri. it's likely falling on deaf ears though. in the latest black blade thread, Kental made a good bye.:(Oh Well I tried.

jin starkiller
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Hey I live in the south and am not offended at all I get told I am a redneck all the time ...just words plus we all joke about being rednecks anyway....:)

Ronan
04-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Wait did i upset someone?...

Kental, i believe people already told you to RELAX.

Considering i saw you in the other thread which turned sour for no real reason... chill man...

If you have pent up energy, go to the gym, don't waste it on the internet, especially on a good bunch of folks like the TCSS crowd.

Wong Yoon Wei
04-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I thought this topic was about the dangers of aluminum. Now we are talking about rednecks? What's next?

Ronan
04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
I thought this topic was about the dangers of aluminum. Now we are talking about rednecks? What's next?

We could talk about GI Joe... Remember that!?
http://blastr.com/assets_c/2010/01/gi_joe_animated-thumb-550x413-32103.jpg

I kid, i kid ;)

Jedi-Loreen
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
I think this thread has run it's course and been hijacked enough.