PDA

View Full Version : Grip?

Posidin77
05-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Just wondering what I should use for a flat grip. I don't want the T-tracks and I need something to put under my shroud. I heard somewhere to use bicycle handlebar tape. Just wondering if anyone has some other ideas, thanks :)

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Tennis racket tape
Hockey stick tape
Carbon fiber tape/material
Skateboard grip material
Stingray skin
Leathers
Textured fabrics
Furs

Sunrider
05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Tennis racket tape ; sounds tricky
Hockey stick tape ; could work
Carbon fiber tape/material ; one tough grip
Skateboard grip material ; prolly not
Stingray skin ; wtf?
Leathers ; go natural
Textured fabrics ; textured rubber could be good
Furs ; ? You guys on Hoth got hide from those yetis? ;)

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Stingray skin may sound odd but it is what is used for grip on samurai swords...it has a 'pebbly' texture that gives good traction in the hand for a secure grip and is quite comfortable...you can usually find some swordsmith or supplier selling it on evilbay.

chaos
05-28-2010, 02:13 AM
Skateboard grip material ; prolly not

Skateboard grip tape is not as daft as it sounds either, I've used it before and it works really well. Its really ruff to begin with but after handling it for a few hours its fine.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5830

Skottsaber
05-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Being a hockey player myself, using stick tape may not be a really good idea. I know it sounds as if the tape is supposed to last for a long time, but it really depends on how much you'd spin/duel. If it was novastar style usage then it would probably start falling off after a month or so, perhaps less.

Stingray skin sounds cool... its also a cool saber name, too.

EDIT: Did nobody think of this? (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Diamond-Knurling-P540.aspx)

Posidin77
05-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. I wound up picking up some tennis racket tape for like 2 bucks at wally world. It works nice and is easy to wrap the hilt in and secure. My only issue with it is that it has the brand slightly engraved in a part of the grip but its not to bad. The grip is nice and its easy to replace if it gets to slick :)

ARKM
05-30-2010, 07:32 PM
You could try adhesive-backed black neoprene rubber. You can get it in different thicknesses as well as textured or untextured. You just cut it to the shape you want using scissors (or an Exacto knife or utility knife), peel off the backing and stick it to the hilt. I buy mine online from McMaster-Carr.

Arkhan
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
I ordered 6' of "exercise equipment" grip tubing when I started working on a friends saber.

It is neoprene style rubber. The online exercise equipment store had several different diameters.

Think "the foamy grips on treadmill handles", but smooth exterior.

not adhesive backed, but if you use the right diameter, it isn't going anywhere (not after it took you half an hour to tug, pull, yell, complain and finally work it onto the hilt)

ARKM
06-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Just to clarify, what I referred to in my previous post is not foam in any way. It's good ole black rubber. Though I'm sure McMaster-Carr sells foam rubber as well.

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
I had some black foam material I used as a grip...the problem was that it was hard to keep clean; all kinds of dirt, dust, lint, cat hair etc would stick to it...a smooth rubber would be better imo.