PDA

View Full Version : LED question

Hrimhari
05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
i got the LED kit (Amber) but I am having trouble putting it it in. The lens and the Lens holder are giving me trouble. I set it on the heatsink and try to screw down the Blade Holder but it wont go down and it risk breaking it.

Rafalema
05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Check does it fit correctly without blade holder. If it doesn't, you may have to de-solder the leads from the LED and solder them again to the correct places.

Hrimhari
05-26-2010, 08:23 AM
The led is soldered down according to the tutorial the lens holder fits perfectly onto it but it seems to be the lens/ lens holder.

Rafalema
05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Do you have a 5 or 10 degree lens?

Hrimhari
05-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Is the lens suppose to lock into the lens holder?

JamoUp
05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
the lens can sometimes be hard to get right. The 5 degree especially doesn't quite sit properly. I have had to hold it down while screwing on the blade holder, to make sure it doesn't slip.

Hrimhari
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Well I have it laying on my led holder right now and it looks ok, but yeah I noticed the lens doesn't want to sit in the holder.

Jedi-Loreen
05-26-2010, 10:09 AM
I usually use a 10 degree lens, which fits better. I'm doing a build for a friend, and he ordered a 5 degree lens. I just shaved off a little of the top edges of the lens where it would lock under the tabs until it snapped in. Not hard to do at all.

Also, make sure you're LED star is perfectly centered on the heat sink or that can cause some problems with screwing down the blade holder. I like to sand a slight bevel on the edge of the top of the lens holder so the optics will fit more easily into the blade holder.

Caine Drathul
05-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I usually use a 10 degree lens, which fits better. I'm doing a build for a friend, and he ordered a 5 degree lens. I just shaved off a little of the top edges of the lens where it would lock under the tabs until it snapped in. Not hard to do at all.

Also, make sure you're LED star is perfectly centered on the heat sink or that can cause some problems with screwing down the blade holder. I like to sand a slight bevel on the edge of the top of the lens holder so the optics will fit more easily into the blade holder.

Don't you mean "YOUR" LED Star? ;)

<Big Hug from Caine, JL!>

Hrimhari
05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Well I was following the Noob guide for building a LED saber so maybe someone should change the step to say select a 10 degree lens if its easier and doesn't need any modifications.

Vlad Doon
05-27-2010, 05:26 AM
Well I was following the Noob guide for building a LED saber so maybe someone should change the step to say select a 10 degree lens if its easier and doesn't need any modifications.

I sometimes have trouble with setting the 5 lens on the holder. As told before, you just have to recut a bit the lens or the edge of the holder. Have you tried setting the lens +holder in the blade holder downward ? Then, in the same position, you screw the rest of the hilt with the led in it. But if it doesn't screw easily, stop.

Jedi-Loreen
05-27-2010, 06:59 AM
That's not the best way to do it, because the lens holder needs to seat on top of the LED star in a specific way. You can't ensure that if you place the optics upside down inside the bottom of the blade holder.

Vlad Doon
05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes, it's a little barbarian method, but with tiny fingers and A LOT of patience, it sometimes work. But yes you're right, it's definitively not the best way.

Rathan
05-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I have the 8.7 degree lens and almost every time I use a pencil eraser to reach down in the blade holder and wiggle the lens into place.