PDA

View Full Version : A New Dope... with an old question.

Kentobiwan
05-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Hi everybody.
I'm brand new on the site and really excited to be here.

Ever since I was a little boy I've loved Luke's first lightsaber from "A New Hope" that Obi-Wan passed down to him from his father.
I want to start out with seeing what I can do by building that one because I love it and all the rules are laid out already.

I'm curious, is there a checklist or "recipe" for all that's included in making this saber?
I know it's based on the graphlex model but I want to be sure I get it perfect.

Can anyone give me some advice about all that I would need to order from this site to make this a reality?

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Rafalema
05-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the forums!

To me it seems that you need at least these parts

Replica Graflex
Graflex Blade holder
Graflex Pin Tool
4.37" T-Grip set (6 piece I think)
Mylar tape (non-textured one)

Electronics
(If you go for a soundless one, or in other words, stunt)
Luxeon III/Seoul P4/Luxeon Rebel blue or any other color you want it to be
Luxeion III Lens holder/Luxen rebel lens holder (Seoul P4 uses the same as Lux III)
Optics (5, 8.7, or 10 degree lens)
4 AA Battery holder
Resistor
Switch(I don't know where would be the best place, but The Graflexshop sells Red Activation buttons that are exactly like the normal buttons on the graflex but is a switch)

If you go for a saber with sound, you will need
LED
Soundboard (MRFX, SuperONE, Ultrasound, Economy board, Crystal Focus, SaberSD.. There are many options, use search function to learn more about them)
Battery holder/pack depends of the soundboard
Most propably you will want a recharge port so you can charge the saber without taking it a part.

The rest of your answers can be most propably found by little searching.
(http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/search.php)

TimeRender
05-23-2010, 12:20 AM
I suppose that depends on whether you want to make an accurate replica or just something that it similar to a graflex. A good graflex replica is sold in the store. Combine that with a graflex blade holder and a few other details that are also sold by Tim and you'll be well on your way to having a reasonably accurate replica. Otherwise, check out blade holder 17, the graflex clamp, and just have fun getting creative.

Most importantly, take your time getting familiar with all of the parts in the store and with the forum. You can easily spend a year reading before you build a single hilt and STILL have a lot to learn. Welcome aboard.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-23-2010, 06:54 AM
One thing forgotten on the list above is a D-ring that was used to attach it to a Tatooine farmboy belt [if you plan on wearing not just display you'll want a belt hook too].

Kentobiwan
05-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys.

I really appreciate the advice.

If I told you I'm just thinking about a simple, prop instead of a saber with a blade, and lights, and electronics, how would that change what I would have to buy to put it together?

I'm thinking about building a prop handle from here. Then later possibly just buying a star wars Force FX saber of the same type for one with the blade, lights and sound.

Opinions?
Pointers?
Help?

jjshumpert
05-23-2010, 03:26 PM
if you were to see a graflex flash and hasbro fx luke anh side by side there is a drastic difference in size, weight, and overall look of the two. imo if your going to the effort of buying a graflex kit from tim then go all out and get the blade holder and lux kit for it. if you make a trip to a local store that sells the luke anh and you actually hold it you will also see that its really flimsy, whereas one from the store is all metal construction from the flash handle to the blade holder, alot of engineering went into making these hilts not only look great but duelable...

long story short make a graflex saber and you will be VERY SATISFIED!