PDA

View Full Version : SW other genres crossover sabers

Sloda Foade
05-20-2010, 07:37 AM
A few of us have been discussing the looks of light sabers with design crossovers to other movies/genres and I thought it would be a good idea to open this for ideas from everybody.
Maybe we can get some designs/renders. It would be good if we could include some of the MHS parts in these (for Tim's sales), but custom is good also.

So to start off, an easy one, Iron Man SW crossover. This could be mostly MHS parts with the main body in gold and thick ali sleeves in hot rod red. Blade should be light blue or white. I think it would look quite cool.

Another one I was thinking of is a master & commander nautical theme. sabre made from simulated whale bone with emitter & pommel in brass, with brass work along the hilt and scrimshaw (engraving) in the whale bone.

I will be busy trying to get my sabre finished, but will try to get some drawings done this weekend and post them when I get them done.

On a tangent, I was considering Harry Potter world, and was wondering if a sabre, like a wand, is attuned to the jedi or sith who created it. As they must use the force to assemble the sabre, does it resonate to their contact with the force? I don't recall reading anything about this in any of the books I have read. In Potter world, a wizard can use another's wand, but it will not perform as well as it would for the real owner.
Just a thought

Come on folks let's see some great ideas, maybe some will actually get built.

Rafalema
05-20-2010, 07:41 AM
Interesting...

The Iron Man one would look good if done right, and I think that a Knight Rider themed saber would be cool as well, no? Maybe a simple, boxy desing with lots of red, green and yellow accent LEDs, and a scanner as well...

Good idea... I MIGHT and only MIGHT do some desings if I have extra time..

Great thread.

Sloda Foade
05-20-2010, 07:51 AM
EDIT
Hmmm I have a neat 10 LED 3volt LED chaser circuit around somewhere using a 74HC14 and 74HC4017. The chaser would need to be pretty big for the KR sabre

Scars Unseen
05-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Here's a pretty neat Green Lantern one over on the FX-Sabers forum
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=22717.0

Sloda Foade
05-20-2010, 08:16 AM
That is one nice saber. Gemini always do a great job.

Sidd
05-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Interesting...

The Iron Man one would look good if done right, and I think that a Knight Rider themed saber would be cool as well, no? Maybe a simple, boxy desing with lots of red, green and yellow accent LEDs, and a scanner as well...

Good idea... I MIGHT and only MIGHT do some desings if I have extra time..

Great thread.

Knight Rider was one of my favorite shows growing up. Hell I still drive a black Pontiac too lol.

I would love a Knight Rider themed saber

Et Kin Evenstar
05-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Can't believe I've never seen that GL saber before. I've been planning to make one at some point. FWIW, there is a Marvel character, Kid Deadpool, who uses 2 lightsabers. I don't know much about that character though.

Darth_Dadderall
05-20-2010, 08:43 AM
The Rivendell saber: Sun-gold PC with media blasting in soft, curved lines with an overlay grip of lathed white ash ("The White tree of Gondor") in that interlocking arching pattern, with a green blade.

You could do an approximation of the "knight rider" scanner LEDs with a CF board and the proper sequencing. And a sound font of engine noises and the KITT voice.

As far as a "Harry Potter" saber would be concerned, it may be worth exploring the concept of magnetic switches that would respond to a magnet in the glove of the wielder. I see much carven wood hilts for that particular crossover.

Star Trek (Heresy!) crossover sabers would have rather less bare metal and more plastic look, with more ergonomic shapes in the handle areas. Holstered rather than beltclipped. At least, for the Federation. You could go nuts designing Klingon sabers in a lot of Sith-analog styling. Much with the black with red blades and spiky bits.

DC 'verse: Lantern Corps sabers. I realize that the Corps can do pretty much anything they want with their rings but seeing a set of color-coded saber hilts with the various corps logos would be most impressive. Double points for the Black Lantern corps.
See also: Kryptonite saber, the Batsaber, etc.

Marvel 'verse: X-Saber, Spidersaber (although I think he'd be more at home with a Stokhli Stun Stick.) etc. I imagine Adamantium would act like Cortosis alloy or Phrik. :)

Todd McFarlane/Spawn Saber: Lots of texture in the overlay, maybe attached to some kind of chain, with a nasty evil imp face in the pommel with glowing red LED eyes. Mainly black body with white and red accents.

Neverending Story saber: Two opposing versions: A white-on-white-on-white in faux carved ivory hilt with detailing in the style of the palace of the Childlike Empress with the Orobouros on the pommel in silver and gold and the black-on-black-on-red of the Nothing with a flat black hilt with a polycarb overlay containing silver glitter powder in a black medium for that 'swirling clouds of nothingness' effect, and a broken Orobouros in silver and black.

Steampunk's been done to death but I always like to see it. Brass, wood and copper. And more brass.

I have another idea in crystal but I'm saving that one for me. :)

X
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Seth McFarlane/Spawn Saber: Lots of texture in the overlay, maybe attached to some kind of chain, with a nasty evil imp face in the pommel with glowing red LED eyes. Mainly black body with white and red accents.

Did you mean Todd McFarlane? Cuz I know quite a few of the toy lines would make some wicked sabers.

Darth_Dadderall
05-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Did you mean Todd McFarlane? Cuz I know quite a few of the toy lines would make some wicked sabers.

Derp, you were right. Edited.

Rhyen Skytracker
05-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Here are a couple of X-Men cross over sabers I made. Here is one based on Cyclops: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7634

and this one has the X-Men emblem on it: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7803&page=4

Borax
05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
Some awesome ideas here. I am glad to see I am not the only one who has had these ideas as well, I have 2 theme sabers drawn up. One is an x box themed saber usinf parts from 2 controllers I have broken. The other with be a suprise... but very awesome. I have also drawn a few in the style of Final Fantasy gun sword styles. And I am working on a way to make them with inner parts of an airsoft gun so they will function as a real gun sword.

Great thread idea.

je-rel drood
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
The GC boys also did Scorpion from Mortal Kombat. They named it Flawless Victory: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=22055.0

I also remember a Batman saber and a Wolverine saber that was presented there (on FX) (I think) a year, year and a half ago.

And I kid you not, I was toying around with a Barbie saber for my girlfriend's daughter. Because if she can be an astronaut/lawyer/doctor with a malibu beach house and camper, why can't she be a Jedi?

LordValk
05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
another cool one would be a legend of zelda crossover saber. mostly a navy blue hilt with a triforce symbol cut out in the emitter and a yellow blade, so the symbol 'glows' yellow/gold.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Kal El Rah did a great Superman saber.

KuroChou
05-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Shneider from the anime bleach can be found on here, and was excellently done.

I'd love to see some batman stuff--black rubber, blued/anodized and weathered, brass/carbon fiber accents.

I totally believe in the concept of jedi specific sabers.
Traditionally, a padawan would select the crystals that they felt best resonated with their personal force "signature," the exception being uniform synthetic crystals.
It would seem like an obvious process, but it would serve two important functions as well.
The dynamics of the blade would reflect the personality of the jedi who constructed it; and the most difficult part of construction: correctly setting the crystals using the force, would be substantially easier if you resonated with them.

Sloda Foade
05-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Wow Darth, have you been thinking on this much? :-D I love the idea of adamantium being impervious, fight with a sith lord and Wolverine where he slices the saber like he did the shotgun in the movie. Cooool.
These are great ideas. I would love to see the LOTR one you describe, maybe I'll have a go at sketching that and the Iron Man one on the weekend, but of course my vision might be totally different to yours.

Borax, not really linked to the crossover theme, but you mentioned X-Box game controller parts, check out my PVC joystick sith saber here
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10746

Rhyen, these cyclops sabers are great, exactly what we are looking for. fantastic.

That scorpion sabre looks great except for the sink tube over the choke area, I'd either break the tube or slice myself up on it, but that's just personal preference.

Oh, just had another idea... Dare Devil dual sabres, well he already has the sticks which just need the blades as it looks like they already have emitters and pommels.

My wife just suggested a pirates of the carribean sabre, lots of nicks and weathering, with feathers and bead chains etc. Much more interesting than my master and commander navy sabre, but then she is writing a series of books and has much better imagination than I do.

Keep em coming folks.

Darth_Dadderall
05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
You think Master and Commander, I think Horatio Hornblower. I have visions of an Admiral's Saber worn by Admiral Pellew, later bequeathed to Captain Hornblower as he assumes command of the Hotspur. Something slightly curvy with a braided gilt grip and a tassel of some kind.

Also, since we're in the period, why not a Montoya lightfoil with the ornate handguard of Iņigo from The Princess Bride. For bonus flash points you can fashion it out of side-emitting fiber like Gravy's lightwhip and thread it around/along bent high-diameter wire.

KuroChou
05-20-2010, 08:03 PM
If I were to make a guard basket meant to be illuminated, I'd probably make it out of small angle or channel iron, so that the fiber could be wire-tied or epoxied to the metal framework, exactly tracing the lines in a way that embellishes an existing work.
Like gold leaf on an embossed book.

I'd be interested in a Halo themed saber, as the spartan project's match/retaliation to the covenant energy swords.

....though an energy sword build in itself would be interesting..... solid blades of sculpted, sandblasted pc, with a white or cyan LED on either side of the grip...

Rhyen Skytracker
05-20-2010, 08:07 PM
I think I will use this LED sequencer to make a battlestar galatica Cylon saber.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/misc/th_100_2747.jpg (http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/misc/?action=view&current=100_2747.flv)

Maybe some claws on the pommel and have an emitter shroud to look kinda like a Cylons head.

Any suggestions?

Sloda Foade
05-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Wow basket hilt on a saber, I want to get sketching on this idea. No...no I gotta finish off my sink tube sleeve first.

There have been great ideas so far, now all we need are some sketches or renders.

I am now going to build the Iron Man, have a good idea what the MHS components will be, I'll use the builder to rough out the shape and have a drawing of some sort up tomorrow.

New crossover ideas:
1. Doctor Who Dalek blaster arm saber
2. babylon 5 rangers saber expands and contracts the hilt like the mimbari fighting pole.
3. Batman utility hilt :) with lots of black rubber and silver utility belt around the hilt (as already listed on the thread)
4. Fantastic 4, shiney with the big 4 on it, lots of flashing LEDs
5. Judge Dredd lawgiver saber matt gray/black with a little silver with LED segments for power and the judge badge.
6. Tron with lots of EL wire highlights
7. Wild West - looks like the barrel of a colt 45 but the spinning barrel is the handle of the hilt, rotates to give different coloured blades?
8. Doctor Who sonic screwdriver saber

And that's my lot for this post. Any more ideas? let's have some drawings

ARKM
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I am now going to build the Iron Man, have a good idea what the MHS components will be, I'll use the builder to rough out the shape and have a drawing of some sort up tomorrow.

I'd like to make a custom machined Iron Man themed hilt someday. I look forward to seeing your MHS version.

Sloda Foade
05-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm now thinking 3 Iron Man sabers, a bitsa like Iron Man 1, then a hot rod red and gold version 3 or 4, and a silvery/gray/matt black war machine
Hoping to have sketches or photoshop drawings over the weekend

KuroChou
05-21-2010, 02:19 AM
you could do a Silver Centurion (basically the same as the briefcase armor) in red and chrome too.

Sloda Foade
05-21-2010, 04:03 AM
Well the suitcase suit has basically the same colour scheme as the ver 2 and ver 3 (triangular chest reactor) wherase the mark 1 is all different bits with Stark Industries and Danger signs over it with weld lines etc and the war machine is gray/silver and matt black colours with chunky add ons.

I have just finished my saber, 6 hours too late for the competition (typical) but now I can start sketching these sabers... watch this space.
I'll also put my saber up in the gallery shortly.

Crystal Chambers
05-21-2010, 04:17 AM
Awesome!...HURRY!!! hehe

Sloda Foade
05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Don't expect too much, I neglected to say that my sketching skills aren't too hot. The first pic will be a modified MHS builder pic.

Crystal Chambers
05-21-2010, 04:37 AM
I was more so referring to the build you just completed. I don't wanna wait for Lord Maul to post the contest sabers to see a new one.

Rhyen Skytracker
05-21-2010, 05:09 AM
I think a Iron Man saber based off of the Corran Horn design would look awesome. Like this one http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8485&highlight=corran

Except where the guarded switch is you can have a AV with either the dot or ring illuminated and just paint the saber to match the Iron Man scheme.

The Grey Elf
05-21-2010, 05:55 AM
Wow basket hilt on a saber, I want to get sketching on this idea.

I've been thinking about this FOREVER. I totally want a rapier-styled saber.

Sloda Foade
05-21-2010, 05:59 AM
That corran horn saber is very nice, but I am thinking along different lines for the 3 sabers. Wait and see. Meanwhile check out the new sabers section as I am just about to post my first saber now

EDIT (a bit later and a CF-less experience)
I have posted my saber in the gallery - Adjudicator.
Now I can concentrate on drawing tomorrow (after the wife runs out of things for me to do :o)

EDIT Again
ok, here is the first draft of the Iron Man mark 3 saber. Parts are all MHS some custom machined. Type 15 blade holder with the end flush to the larger section, and 6 grooves machined in the end to represent the hand RT armour sections.
Behind this is a 2" extender with slight machined grooves (not as deep as on the standard hilts), a Male - Male converter, then a choke 1 short, then 5" extender machined with the same grooves as the 2", and a pommel style 4.
Sleeving is thick walled (2mm) aluminium tubing. Circular marks on side are polished into the ali, not a seperate part. The switched (both miniature push button) extend through the rear 2 of the 4 circles. lines on rear of hilt engraved and painted. Crystal chamber has white translucent PVC to simulate the chest RT.
LED would be White or light blue.

I am working on the others as fast as I can. I also have a mark 6 design which had more custom moulding on the rear of the hilt to emulate the forearm area of the suit. Ideally it should have a CF in it with custom soundfonts of RT blasts and high pitch hum for the active RT sound.

Just reviewing this again, and might add brass tubeing to the top at the emitter and choke side of the crystal chamber (RT) on the lines already shown just to give more 3D look.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/IronManMark3.jpg

Please tell me what you think. I'll post other images as I can get them finished. I think I'll do the mark 1 next as it is fairly straight forward.

Rafalema
05-23-2010, 02:13 AM
That would make a pretty awesome saber..

Sloda Foade
05-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Ok, so here is the Iron Man mark 1. It is supposed to be simple just as the mark 1 suit was. basic switch, blank extension with weld making it look like it is made from seperate parts. The grenade section is already supposed to be a bitsa piece anyway so I didn't modify it. No blinkies, or special effects. Blade should be white or orange (for the flame throwers)
Remember it is supposed to be simple and look like it is welded from "a box of scraps"

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/IronManMark1.jpg

Comments please, and how are you're drawings coming along?

ARKM
05-23-2010, 08:15 AM
I like what you have done so far. Keep it up.

Darth_Sasuke
05-23-2010, 02:31 PM
That mark 3 saber is looking pretty sick.

Ryan S
05-23-2010, 08:24 PM
the iron man and any comic inspired sabers are really COOL

although I was thinking kind of inverted or perhaps sideways a bit

how bout some other movie inspired hilts
like a Christmas story
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle with a sundial and a compass in the stock!

someone will shoot their eye out... or burn their eye out ....

or even V inspired "TV series"
new or old
haven't seen enough of their tech on the new series to really design one But their communicators are really cool!

or a hilt inspired by DETHKLOK it would have piZazz
it would be METAL!!

I dunno
just a thought
R:mrgreen:

Sloda Foade
05-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Well Ryan, why not post some designs, expand the hobby, that's what this thread is all about. I can remember some of the hand blasters from the old V series, but I haven't been watching the new one.
Maybe someone will see one of these designs and decidde to build one. I certainly plan on building one of the Iron Man ones once I have finished all the designs.
So if you have a great design in your head but don't think you can build it, post the design and maybe someone will pick it up and complete it

Crystal Chambers
05-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Cool. Diggin the mark 3 design. Funny thing is you can even get inspiration by just borrowing design elements without going 100% theme and come up with great ideas that way as well.
There's a whole room full of Ironman suits to pick from for ideas. I'm sure the ones worn are more popular but there's many more to work with.

Wow I just noticed!...when I read this earlier I thought of red MHS with brass overlay and you did the opposite which would be a bit more difficult.

Sloda Foade
05-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Hi Crystal, I'm sticking to the movie suits, if I went to the comics, there are dozens of different suits, include the animated programs and it just gets too much. the movie suits look feasible rather than some flexible metal material as in the comics.

So got any crossover ideas?

Crystal Chambers
05-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Hi Crystal, I'm sticking to the movie suits, if I went to the comics, there are dozens of different suits, include the animated programs and it just gets too much. the movie suits look feasible rather than some flexible metal material as in the comics.

So got any crossover ideas?

Actually I meant in the movie but the other suits in the background he didn't wear in the films.

off the top of my head......a nightmare on elm street sith blade..4 forks, leather, stripping like his shirt maybe.

I'll have to get back to you on that. I've always tried to do things as original as I can and keep my influences in design well appropriated as to not be obvious, but I do admit there's some potential in making a direct reference. I do like the ironman idea just because it translates well into a saber.

Sloda Foade
05-24-2010, 07:27 AM
The suits in the background of Iron Man 2 are from left to right
Mark 1 (escape from the cave), Mark 2 (silver which Rhodes takes and creates war machine out of), Mark 3 (which he fought Obidiah in) Mark 4 (which he wears at the start of the movie) There is also the mark 5 - the portable suitcase suit and the mark 6 with the triangular chest piece. The mark 6 is a modification of the mark 4, which was a bit chunkier than the mark 3.
For the suits, check out here http://ironmanmovie.marvel.com/#/gallery the third photo down on the right

Like the NOES idea, might be a bit hard to make though. Imagine waving 4 1" blades about, it would be a bit heavy :)

HAVOK
05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
alright here is my contribution mabye to give someone ideas!

its the mark2 suit inspired saber.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/x360graphicsx/Sabers/markIIsaber.jpg

hope it brings inspiration to someone!!

cannibal869
05-24-2010, 01:36 PM
alright here is my contribution mabye to give someone ideas!

its the mark2 suit inspired saber.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/x360graphicsx/Sabers/markIIsaber.jpg

hope it brings inspiration to someone!!

Wow, good job and design scheme. I dunno how possible it is, but maybe you could also use some sort of overlay or underlay on top of the mini arc reactor light to give it a bit more of a pattern...

Causa
05-24-2010, 01:41 PM
If those armor overlays are on a working hinge, you could easily fit the recharge port under there, so you lift up the armor to charge it, then remove the plug/ flip it down when it's "live"

I think that's a really cool idea, I bet you could make those two hinged pieces out of some sink tubes, 1.25 and 1.5 or something. To fit MHS the 1.25 will have to be bent some, but since you're only using the top half of the tube, it shouldn't be too problematic.

Sloda Foade
05-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Wow that's great Havok, really embodies the feel of the mark 2. Your design-fu is much better than mine. :) For strength you might need to make the RT crystal chamber a little smaller (I had the one on the Mk3 too big at first as well). I love this design, great work.
Hmm, just revisited mine, the RT still looks too big on it too, ah well can be fixed in the actual build.

Also remember folks, just because someone has put in a design for a particular saber (ie Iron Man Mark 2 or 3) doesn't stop you from designing the same version in your own way.

ARKM
05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Very nice design HAVOK.

Sloda Foade
05-25-2010, 05:23 AM
Well I have finally put together the basic parts for the War Machine crossover saber. I'll just post the link here as it is only a temporary pic and I don't want to fill up the thread.
There is still a lot to do and the textures have to be finalised yet, but this is a start.
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/parts1.jpg

Koza
05-25-2010, 05:37 AM
Awesome Iron Man Saber! Love it!

Force Lance from Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/Toragh1/resize2php.jpg

HAVOK
05-25-2010, 05:58 AM
just as long as the war machine saber has some kinda gun or missle deployment!;)

Sloda Foade
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM
as in the "ex wife" nah cos it didn't work ;). Actually I have been toying with a pop out door system for access to the switches and recharge ports.
As I said this render was just the shapes of the MHS parts, still got a long way to go.
I did chose the blade holder because it resembled the flash supressor on the mini gun.
Koza, nice force lance.
Keep 'em coming

HAVOK
05-25-2010, 08:01 AM
and my version of the Mark III suit saber...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/x360graphicsx/Sabers/markIIIsaber.jpg

ill be getting my TRON one up soon!

Sloda Foade
05-25-2010, 08:03 AM
I am liking this one the colours give it soul. Have you changed anything other than the colours? and when are you making it ;)

HAVOK
05-25-2010, 10:35 AM
here is the Tron one I have been working on

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/x360graphicsx/Sabers/tron2.jpg

everywhere that is blue and red would be EL of some kind, and then it would have an exposed cyrstal chamber, with a blue or red glow from inside the chamber.

Kinda ended up looking like Obi-wan TPM (IM DUMB) saber??? totally not on purpose.

Rafalema
05-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Obi-Wan rots?!?!?!

I think you mean Obi-Wan AOTC/TPM?

Anyway, that hilt would be awesome, but would require some serious cram-fu.

Will you be making it? :D

HAVOK
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
thanks!

Sloda Foade
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Hey Havok, these are great, I actually like the red one even though I don't usually go for the forks. The centre section could be done with EL "plate" with the dark areas painted over using a stencil. It would look awesome

Edit...next day

Well I have managed to source some Hex Ali tubing rather than 8 sided for the War machine, so I have to re-design what I have done. That will set back the final design a bit, but I'm plodding on. I think I'm going to make this one even thought there is going to be a lot of hand crafting of sleeves and bits. Oh well back to the drafting board, er screen. :)

Here is a link to the hex tubing I got, needs a trim but will be long enough for War machine, not too great a finish but will be PC'd or enamelled anyway.slightly bigger than I wanted at 41.3mm ID instead of 37mm, but have figured out how to pack it to be a smooth fit.
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/HexTubing.jpg

HAVOK
05-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Captain America!

the "A" would be the blade emitter!

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/x360graphicsx/Sabers/ca.jpg

Jedi Yar-Nala
05-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Liking the Tron... Liking the Captain America/Iron Man designs... now.... can you pull them off? These would be great to see your build log on these guys :)

Sloda Foade
05-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Havok, I like the Captain America, not sure it would transfer to a 3D saber though, would the A and pommel be a square, or is the A emitter a square and the pommel a lens shape with a shield on 2 sides? Great ideas, keep em coming, and when are you going to build one. It could even be in PVC.

Yar Nala, as soon as I get the design for War Machine finalised and posted, I will be building it (funds allowing) I already have hex ali tube and round ali tube for sleeving, I just need the MHS parts now and a buck puck or universal driver board.

I'm trying to decide on the LED colour, I have a green and blue and an RGBA (for mixing for purple). The beauty shots of War machine have a red tinge around the eyes and chest RT, but in the movie the colour was the same as Iron Man, white with a slightly blue tinge.
Any thoughts? Have a look at the link to the test render below and see what colour you think it should be.

EDIT here is the latest render of War Machine, I have changed the 8 sided Ali tube for hex tube and put the packing tubing in. Also cut the crystal/RT chamber. I decided to put hidden red LEDs at the handle section cut out of the hex ali to add the colour rather than using a red or orange emitter LED which will be white.
Still lots to do:
Cut details and other cutouts in hex ali.
Add slim box section to hex ali.
Cut relief sections from grenade cover sleeve and add extra detail layer (brass) on top of the grenade cover.
Add detailing and sleeving around Crystal chamber/RT area
Switch installation. Probably a micro momentary pcb switch

I have the sleeving material, switch, charge port, cheapy Hasbro sound card and battery pack, just need to order the MHS parts, LED driver or Puck and the LED... when funds allow. :)

(http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/parts3.jpg)[IMG]http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/parts5.jpg

Sloda Foade
05-28-2010, 04:26 AM
pic update

Crystal Chambers
05-28-2010, 05:15 AM
hehe...wild!

I like the tron idea with EL. Honestly not crazy about the saber itself. Maybe watching the movie wile sketching would help...the helmets would be a good reference.

I'm going to do some theme designs over the weekend myself.

Woah...I thought that was a canon! Awesome now there's a weapon! I think you're on to something. Even though it looks great I'd experiment just a bit more before settling on it but that me. I think you should go all red LEDs too.

Sloda Foade
05-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks Crystal, no EL on this, just some accent LEDs in the hand grip area to light the grip. I'd rather not go all RED, 'cos red is the colour of the sith, and War Machine is a good guy.
Main LED should be white or white with a very slight blue tinge (gel filter?).

I based the main design on the shoulder canon, hence the blade holder I chose (see the background pic of the canon). The rest is based on the chest RT (obviously) and the arm design. You'll see these accents appear as I get the design closer to completion. The grenade cover area will eventually be cut to represent the back of the hand plating with some brass for thin plates, and there will be some chunky plates around the RT similar to the background photo. I have been toying with adding a LED bar graph LED chaser somewhere.
This is turning into a build, not a design idea. :)

I am looking forward to your designs. Don't forget you can get EL sheets as well as EL wire if you are thinking of TRON.

HAVOK
05-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Oohhh that is sweet!!!

Crystal Chambers
05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
I have been toying with adding a LED bar graph LED chaser somewhere.
This is turning into a build, not a design idea. :)

AWESOME!

I am looking forward to your designs. Don't forget you can get EL sheets as well as EL wire if you are thinking of TRON.

For real real?
I was replying about havok's tron concept

Sloda Foade
05-28-2010, 06:18 AM
Sorry Crystal, didn't read it properly, that's what happens when I try doing 2 things at once :)
As for the design turning into a build, I wish I had a lathe and a mill, then I could do a lot more. As it is I am only designing with bits that I can actually lay my hands on.

Ok then Havok, same info for you, EL sheets as well as EL wire for the tron sabers

cordaroyfog
06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
As I said I have no skills with rendering so this was all photoshop but I tried, I will be doing a Mordor one tomorrow and will post it as well. I included a possible crystal chamber idea integrating Aragorn's ring, but that was just thrown together. Also instead of just throwing the tree on the hilt, I would rather have maybe some silver filigree work/wire around the hilt which would look nice.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/supernaturlbeing/new/andurilsabeFINAL.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/supernaturlbeing/new/andurilsabeFINAL.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/supernaturlbeing/new/4182.jpg

Sloda Foade
06-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Nice,
as discussed on the shoutbox, I think this needs a crosspiece, but not as big as on the actual sword, also maybe a silver or white blade as you said.
Some silver filigre would really set this off.
More, MORE
Looking forward to the Mordor saber

cordaroyfog
06-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Here is my imagining of Sauron's Saber. I named it Grond after the Mace that Morgoth used which one would have to think was the most powerful and evil weapon ever yielded in Middle Earth.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/supernaturlbeing/new/grondfinal.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/supernaturlbeing/new/grondfinal.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg84/supernaturlbeing/new/redcrystalchambercopy.jpg

Rafalema
06-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I like the Grond..

Rhyen Skytracker
06-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Sloda, you may want to move the reactor down a bit. There are threads and the heat sink in the location you have it now. The threads go down .7" and the center part of the heat sink will add another .4". You may be able to squeeze the reactor part in where the center part of the heat sink is just don't go too deep.

ARKM
06-02-2010, 08:19 AM
Cordaroyfog, those LOTR crossover sabers are a cool idea. Could you please post both of those LOTR crossover pics with no blades present? I want to do my own photoshopness to them. Thanks.

Sloda Foade
06-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks Rhyen, I'll look at the lengths on my existing saber and adjust to suit.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-02-2010, 04:10 PM
No problem. I just wanted to make sure you didn't run into that problem when you were building it. I can't wait to see it complete.

ARKM
06-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Here's my take on Anduril (done at the suggestion of cordaroyfog and Sloada Foade). The pic without blade was made in Photoshop and the blades were added in After Effects. The white tree pic I added to the crosspiece is courtesy of cordaroyfog

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/th_Anduril-Silver.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/Anduril-Silver.jpg)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/th_Anduril-Yellow.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/Anduril-Yellow.jpg)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/th_Anduril-Green.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/Anduril-Green.jpg)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/th_Anduril-Blue.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/Anduril-Blue.jpg)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/th_Anduril-Purple.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/Anduril-Purple.jpg)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/th_Anduril-Red.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/Evil-Henchman/Lightsaber%20Effects%20Pics/Anduril-Red.jpg)

Rhyen Skytracker
06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Arkm, did you use the plug-in from Andrew Krammer at videocopilot.net?

Sloda Foade
06-03-2010, 07:52 PM
yes Yes YES, that is it exactly, perfect. Blade choice would be silver or blue.

Now the question is who is going to build one?

It would need to be someone with a mill and lathe which rules me out unless I attack the bare metal with a rasp :)

More MORE please

ARKM
06-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Arkm, did you use the plug-in from Andrew Krammer at videocopilot.net?

No sir. I do not use plug-ins to rotoscope. Where I hail from ( http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10015 ), that's blasphemy. ;)

I use my own personal preferences for core blur, glow blur and color. As far as the rotoscoping itself and the knowledge on how to apply the above settings, I learned how to do it in Photoshop and AE using various tutorials, mainly the ones by Ryan Wieber of the "Ryan vs. Dorkman" fame.

cordaroyfog
06-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Love the cross piece with the tree! But I still insist as a pseudo LOTR scholar, that if you are looking for fictional accuracy, the blade would need to be silver or a yellow/orange representing a flame of some kind. The blue looks cool but personally I can't think of a reason to use that one... if you care about that kind of thing heh

Rhyen Skytracker
06-04-2010, 05:15 AM
No sir. I do not use plug-ins to rotoscope. Where I hail from ( http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10015 ), that's blasphemy. ;)

I meant to say preset not plug-in. It saves a ton of time and it even does all the motion blur too. All you have to do is select the color you want and move the start point and end point in each frame. It has saved me a TON of time. Here is the link to the tutorial and preset. http://videocopilot.net/presets/light_sabers_v2/

You should take a look at some of his other tutorials and products too. I learned most of what I know about After Effects from him. I have viewed all of his tutorials. His tutorials are very informative and even funny at times.

Crystal Chambers
06-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Drawing in saber blades on still images is SOOO easy with photoshop. Just create a few layers with outer and inner glow layer effects till it looks right.

Select layer on upper screen menu
-new layer
draw your blade in
Select layer again on upper screen menu
-layer style
-then outer or inner glow till you get the desired effect.
You may want to experiment with a few layers and adjust transparency of the layers.

I'm not good at describing how to use programs. I learned mostly on my own but I can point and say click that..lol

Rhyen Skytracker
06-04-2010, 06:01 AM
All you have to do with this preset in After Effects is Create a new layer, insert the preset, select color, pick start point then pick end point. The preset is fully editable too. You can modify all the glow (inner and outer), motion blur, perspective and many more. I don't really consider it cheating since it is only a preset and I make a lot of presets myself. If you use after effects I would highly recommend those tutorials. I even have most of his products too. The Action Essentials product has lots of sounds, smoke vids and explosion vids to use.

ARKM
06-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Rhyen, I understand where you are coming from and I know all about Andrew's plugins/presets. However you can get much better results and configurability by doing it yourself the manual way. If you had been on the forum I linked to for several years like I have, you would know this.

People that want the best looking lightsabers, whether on a still image or in video choose to apply those effects without presets or plugins. On the flip side, I'm sure there are many that use Andrew's plugins/presets and are quite content with the results. It's a matter of personal preference.

I'm not saying I would never use a plugin or preset for an effect or even for lightsabers. However currently, I am unsatisfied with the results of every lightsaber plugin/preset out there. As far as Andrews other non-lightsaber/blaster bolt stuff, had I a need for them, I'd probably use them. I spent many years working on the lightsaber effect (mainly in Photoshop)... but no other effects. As such, his other plugins could come in quite handy for me.

Rhyen Skytracker
06-04-2010, 07:24 AM
I will definitely check out that site you link to. My main issue is I don't have as much time to spend on it anymore and with videocopilot.net it has short tutorials that you can use to learn the specific effect you are looking for at the time. Like the zoom Earth one helped me out on a project I was working on, but instead of zooming out I needed to zoom in. The tutorial showed me enough that I could figure out how to reverse it. Besides, cheaters always win. (except when they get caught) hehe

Edit: I am looking at that site you linked to and I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for the link.

Sloda Foade
06-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Here is the penultimate animation of War Machine. I just have to put some text stenciling on it and that will be it. Those pics will be posted in a few hours when I finish them. I will replace this animation then as well.
(link removed, updated in my next post)

Sloda Foade
06-06-2010, 07:29 AM
Ok folks, this is the final render of War Machine. I won't be adding anything more to the design in the render, but there will be other things done on the actual saber once I can afford to buy the MHS parts. Things like pseudo flush screws (burred into the surfaces with dremmel cylinder grinder) and some other surface details too fiddly to add to the render.
I have updated the animation also, see below.
http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/?action=view&current=WM-rotate3.mp4

And the pics

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/screwsfull.jpg
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/screwsfull1.jpg
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/screwsfull2.jpg
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/screwsfull3.jpg

If anyone can think of any improvements, please let me know.

Rafalema
06-06-2010, 07:48 AM
This saber is sweeet and you are an excellent modeler!

ARKM
06-06-2010, 08:43 AM
That saber looks really nice Sloda.

Sunrider
06-06-2010, 09:28 AM
That is a great design indeed. May the force be with you in it's construction.:)

Sloda Foade
06-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I have updated the War Machine pics and video above again to include the blade retention screw(s) and the activation switch as noted by some of the members on the shoutbox.
Only one of the 4 blade screws will be long enough to hold the blade, the rest are there to balance the look. The switch is a small pcb mounted round with a LED in the centre.

Rafalema
06-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Sweeet!

Please make a longer vid with more spins and maybe little bit zooming in and out.

Oh, and use this song!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjlBMl6f3hU

:D:D

Rhyen Skytracker
06-09-2010, 08:08 AM
That is going to be an awesome saber. I can't wait to see it complete.

HAVOK
06-09-2010, 09:55 AM
sloda, you got your work cut out for you buddy, I gotta say though, way to jump into the deep end with both feet!

Tenric Starkindler
06-09-2010, 10:15 AM
That is going to be an awesome saber. I can't wait to see it complete.

If I had the cash I'd offer to buy it before it was made.....slamming design there!

Rafalema
06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I was so inspired by that beauty, that I HAD to make one.
It is little different, and when this was done, it went immideatly to my "To Commission" list.

Without further ado, I present to you my best 3D saber yet, The War Machine.
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/Resized%20TCSS/WarMachine.jpg?t=1276105151
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/Resized%20TCSS/WarMachine4.jpg?t=1276105273
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/Resized%20TCSS/WarMachine6.jpg?t=1276105220
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/Resized%20TCSS/WarMachine7.jpg?t=1276105222

Original album with 1920x1080 sized pics: http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/
Special album with some other angle renders from this saber on a clear backround: http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/War%20Machine%201920x1080%20Clear%20Backround/

Enjoy.

Sloda Foade
06-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Wow Rafalema, it took me a week to do my War Machine, and you go and knock one up in an evening.
Very nice, I guess those are illuminated AV switches at the pommel end?
I have been playing with a blade on mine but not sure if I have the corbin effect right as I have never persoanlly seen it

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/Saber%20designs/WM-blade.jpg

Rafalema
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks! Took about 25 minutes with that War Machine..

The blade looks just like my corbin blade, except this is way more even and brighter :rolleyes:

Where did you get that backround? I tried looking for it, but never found it.

(And yes, those are 2 AV switches in a guarded switch box.)

EDIT:

I just realized how much I hate crystal chambers. (not the person lol)
So I added a bargraph near the emitter, and re-made the middle part of the saber, and now it's more "Iron-Man"-ish anyway.

War Machine, Final Version
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/War%20Machine%20Final/WarMachine1.jpg?t=1276159201
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/War%20Machine%20Final/WarMachine3.jpg?t=1276159205
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/War%20Machine%20Final/WarMachine4.jpg?t=1276159208
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/War%20Machine%20Final/WarMachine7.jpg?t=1276159270

Whole album: http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/War%20Machine%20Final/

And a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GliauhCiFk

Sloda Foade
06-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Is this going to be an "actual" saber or only a 3D rendition?

Rafalema
06-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Actual... Hopefully :D

EDIT: What font you used in your war machine to make the "001"?

EDIT 2:

War Machine got a blade and other lighting!
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/Resized%20TCSS/WarMachine14.jpg?t=1276176071
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/Resized%20TCSS/WarMachine15.jpg?t=1276176074
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/Rafalema/War%20Machine/Resized%20TCSS/WarMachine16.jpg?t=1276176076

Oh and I'm sorry I have taken over this page with my pictures! :D

Sloda Foade
06-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Nice beauty shots.
I didn't use a font, I made the characters in modeller then stenciled them onto the body. All the text is stencilled not brushmapped.

Let me know when you get this built, looking forward to seeing it.

Now that the design of my War Machine is done I might look at some of the other design ideas... Pirates of the Carribean perhaps?

Rafalema
06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Oooh yes Pirates Of The Carribean would be cool..

Also maybe Matrix one would look good..

Or even... star trek.. (Note: no capitalized letters :))

Sorry I Sweared :)

Sloda Foade
06-12-2010, 03:37 AM
I had a few minutes spare today so I put together a quick idea for a pirates of the caribbean lightsaber. Of course it had to be based on Captain Jack Sparrow's pistol.

Hilt is 1.25" sink tube with MHS converter to blade holder style 7. The handle would be from wood with whatever flintlock parts were available online.
As it is a pirate saber, it should have a red or orange blade.

And NO, I am not building this one.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y352/SlodaFoade/SparrowSaber.jpg

bk_renesis
06-12-2010, 05:06 PM
been tinking of this for a crossover saber

The Daywalker

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af267/bk_renesis/daywalker.jpg

it would need some custom work by tim on the BH to remove the middle set of rings and also the main body to remove the switch hole and stretch the rings across the length of the main body. There would be some tedious paint work to replicate the vampire glyphs/symbols but it could be done without too much custom work.

i want a single handed saber so this and the sidious jump to mind but this is a crossover thread so here you go, blade colour would have to be red (blood) or white ("day"walker)

feel free to come up with your own versions or improvements on this design.

Cheers.

Sloda Foade
06-15-2010, 05:10 AM
That would be cool, especially if the glyphs could be in relief, either machine away material around them to leave them raised, or some sort of insert. Would these be connected to form a dual saber or just singles?

chaos
06-15-2010, 06:02 AM
I've been wanting to do a Daywalker lightsaber for years, just never gotten round to it.

I've got it planned in my head how to do it.

Dippy123
10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
funnily enough a few years ago i actually did do some designs of these two ideas.

based apon the 2005-2009 style daleks and sonic screwdriver, probably impractical and ugly in most peoples views but with a bit of clean up they might turn out quite good :) il try and figure out how to upload pictures at somestage and post them.

Aziara
08-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Wow this is an old thread... Great stuff.
Just had to post a sketch of an unintentional crossover. I didn't even realize it until I showed the sketch to my husband. The first words out of his mouth were: "why does it look like Sauron's tower?"

Sloda Foade
08-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Aziara, yes it does look incredibly like the tower and eye of Sauron. good sketch. Do you have any idea if or when you will build it? I haven't been building lately due to having chemotherapy. Seeing this cheers me up no end, thanks.

Aziara
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Chemo, man that's rough. Glad I could brighten your day :)
I'm certainly planning on making the Sauron saber. I have a bunch of parts laid out on my table right now. The first thing is to find a switch with a red-orange led in it for the eye's center. Does the CSS ever sell red-orange leds, either for blades or in switches? This hilt is absolutely screaming for a red-orange, lol.
I think I'll make the hilt look like tarnished silver: somewhat shiny on the raised areas but nearly black everywhere else.

Sloda Foade
08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi again Azaria, apart from multi coloured LEDS, I don't think TCSS does orange or red orange LEDS at present. You could try an electronics specific provider, here in aus I use Element 14 but I think they are newark in USA. If you got one of Tim's multi coloured LEDs you could mix the colours to get the same effect, or you could use a white LED with a red orange gel filter.

Not sure if anyone does red orange switch LEDS, might need some research to find them. Tim does Red and Orange AV switches. Check out the TCSS store.
I look forward to seeing the final saber, assuming I am still around.

Aziara
08-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Well, I've sent an email to the store asking if they'll get more. It is still mentioned in the description of the luxeon rebel stars. No response yet. I did find the red-orange stars straight from the luxeon site, but the shipping costs more than it does...
Most of the reason I'm posting right now is a new idea for the design. I'm using a cheapo hasbro board, so there is flashing, which I'd like to avoid for the blade. But accent lights however... I did once see a guy on youtube who spliced the main led through the speaker wires. It came out really nice. So, instead of using a light-up switch, I'll use a normal black one, but both parts of the eye will be translucent, with low power orange leds beneath. And they will connect through the wires with the flash, so the eye will 'blink'. I got the idea from your iron man saber a few pages back.

Aziara
09-22-2012, 01:56 PM
90% complete. All that's left is a bit of wiring and assembly

FenderBender
09-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Some great ideas in this thread. We did an LOTR themed saber late last year/early this year:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2912.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2912.jpg)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2931.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2931.jpg)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2934.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2934.jpg)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2925.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2925.jpg)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2917.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2917.jpg)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2945.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2945.jpg)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2967.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2967.jpg)http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/th_100_2970.jpg (http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/2012%20Pictures/?action=view&current=100_2970.jpg)

I'd love to see someone take a crack at another Iron Man/War Machine saber. Eastern57 did one, I've wanted to do one as well. The drawings earlier on in the thread are way cool.

shmoetech
09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Fender your right...really good stuff here (where has this been hiding)
P.S. sweeeet saber Fender.

cory
09-02-2013, 02:33 PM
I am currently trying to figure out how to get a (small, simple) katana-style handguard on a MHS hilt. But I'm a noob and that seems difficult. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Crystal Chambers
09-11-2013, 04:29 AM
I am currently trying to figure out how to get a (small, simple) katana-style handguard on a MHS hilt. But I'm a noob and that seems difficult. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Think of your tsuba as an MHS trim ring and your blade holder is the habaki. Two MHS parts can hold your tsuba in between them over the threads. There are several ways to approach this but it does take some thinking outside the box. Tim/Stryder also offers a custom service to modify parts if you really need it. If you want to draw more attention to your question, posting a new thread titled as such should get more responses.

cory
09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks Chrystal! Yeah, I've decided that I'll try to make a tsuba that will lock between the blade holder and the rest of my hilt. I've been looking into custom washers, and I think I can find one that will fit (and also look cool) for pretty cheap. I'm slightly nervous that this will mess with the LED module, but I think it won't be a big deal.

I actually *don't* want to draw too much attention to my post, because after just a little more research I found all the info I need, and now I regret asking too soon.

Best,
Cory

Renaissance Jedi
09-15-2013, 02:43 PM
For many years I have watched and loved the British Scifi show Doctor Who. I have often wished for a crossover between Star Wars and Doctor Who, and I often wondered what the Doctor's lightsaber, were he to have one, would look like. I figured, it would slightly resemble his sonic screwdriver. So, I decided to come up with a crude idea of what the 10th Doctor's lightsaber would look like. I went with the 10th Doctor because he is one of my favorites and because David Tennant (who plays the 10th Doctor) is a giant Star Wars fan and would probably get a kick out of this idea.

So first, I give the sonic screwdriver:

And now, the lightsaber I based off of the sonic:

madmaxx
09-15-2013, 05:51 PM
i reckon a dalek eye stork as a hilt would look wicked. as a side note, there is a 50 th anniversary episode on in november so look out for it

Renaissance Jedi
09-15-2013, 08:41 PM
i reckon a dalek eye stork as a hilt would look wicked. as a side note, there is a 50 th anniversary episode on in november so look out for it

Ooh, a Dalek lightsaber, how intriguing. BH 24 could easily resemble a dalek eye. HMMMMM, now you've got me thinking.
And I am psyched about the 50th anniversary! Glad to know of another fan(?) on the forum.

madmaxx
09-16-2013, 12:55 AM
oh hell yeah i'm a fan. been one since i was 5. tom baker ruled

Renaissance Jedi
09-16-2013, 06:44 AM
oh hell yeah i'm a fan. been one since i was 5. tom baker ruled

Tom Baker is definitely one of my favorites, although it is very hard for me to really have a favorite because each one brought something special that I in turn loved.

InstantRamen
05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Despite being a complete newbie with zero build experience, I'm entertaining the idea of working on Doctor Who "sonic saber." MaddMaxx has a really nice 10th one he calls "Opus" which looks amazing, but I'm considering even an 11th "clawsaber" design. That they each lend themselves to blue/green and silver &ceramic or brass doesn't hurt either.

Drewby777
05-13-2014, 04:54 PM
These are just some hobby models that I've created using the incredibly limited Sketchup program, but I figured that I'd share them:

Master Saber:

Mario Saber:

Obi1
05-14-2014, 01:50 AM
Awesome builds, all of them!

FenderBender, that LOTR hilt is simply beautiful! Care to share how you did the inscription on the shroud? I wanted to do something similar (of course simpler) inscription on an MHS sink tube but failed so far... I would be grateful for any hint!

Cern
07-22-2014, 07:35 PM
i was thinking (if i had the money) to do a series of sabers based on Fred Saberhagens BOOK OF SWORDS. I think once i settle on a design I'm going to start with Soulcutter, as i have a Green Goblin soundboard i want to put in there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Swords_of_Power

Drewby777
02-04-2015, 12:01 PM
It's been a while, but I created another set of sabers on Sketchup. If you're familiar with Kingdom Hearts, you'll be sure to recognize them10829

JeedaiJohnny
02-04-2015, 12:09 PM
These are just some hobby models that I've created using the incredibly limited Sketchup program, but I figured that I'd share them:

Master Saber:

Mario Saber:

Ohhh I was such a fanatic of those two games. Would wield both of those with pride!