PDA

View Full Version : Ideal set up advice needed

iainm
05-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Guys, it's been a long while since I posted. Been too busy with costuming projects. Anyway, I want to completely rewire my home-made sabers and also convert my MR FX sabers.

What is the ideal set up for a really bright blade that can withstand medium dueling? I want sound as well. Please advise me on what LED to install, what driver, what sound card, sensors (if any). Also I want rechargeable batteries and a kill switch. I'm tired of dismantling my sabers every time the batteries die. How many of what type?

Has anyone come up with a nice convenient package to house everything in, like in the FX sabers?

I'll probably get Saber Project in Germany to convert a couple of my Master Replicas FX at first before I have a go myself.

I believe that string LEDs are eventually going to break because the blades always take a lot of punishment, so I want a super bright single LED.

BTW Check out my latest costumes on photobucket: http://s142.photobucket.com/home/Ata-pala/index

Rafalema
05-16-2010, 08:59 AM
First of all:

What color blade?

If you want any wiring diagrams, please check this:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/search.php

There are 2 types of blades: Thick-walled, and Thin-walled.

I think that you would be ok with thin-walled.

There are many types of soundboards, but there is no 'best' exactly, but here's a few:

UltraSound 2.5*, SaberSound 1.0*, Crystal Focus V5, SuperONE 2.0, MR/Hfx, economy boards... ec.

All your rechargeable solutions depend of the soundboard/driver + LED combo.

*= Out of production.

But, you could have got all of your answers just by using search. :rolleyes:

cardcollector
05-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Welcome back,

A luxeon/rebel LED with a thinwalled blade is the best IMO.

Recharge setups are very easy to install and usually need just one 3.7V li-ion cell to work.

I like MR soundboards the best for the money. Remember, the more stuf that is in a lightsaber, the more likely it is to break.

everyone of these questions can be answered by reading BTW.

iainm
05-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys. I really don't have time to read through all the threads to look for answers. I guess I'll go for the UltraSound board for all my conversions and new sabers. But everyting seems to be out of stock or out of production. :( I'll start with blue and green blades before converting my Sith sabers. Thin walls are duel-able, you say. I'll do that.

Skottsaber
05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
The Ultrasound is never going to be produced again, so I don't know where you'll find one.
Wait for Tim's new board :D

Vlad Doon
05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
The Ultrasound is never going to be produced again, so I don't know where you'll find one.
Wait for Tim's new board :D

So it's the end of the US board ? A pity. You mentioned Tim's going to stock one ? I can't wait.

Vlad Doon
05-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys. I really don't have time to read through all the threads to look for answers. I guess I'll go for the UltraSound board for all my conversions and new sabers. But everyting seems to be out of stock or out of production. :( I'll start with blue and green blades before converting my Sith sabers. Thin walls are duel-able, you say. I'll do that.

IMHO, you can go step by step, learning first about a direct drive led (w/o sound), and then expand your universe starting with simple wiring with fx boards, then illuminated switches, accent, and recharge ports. I was like you a few time ago. Everything seemed complicated, but it is not that difficult, and fortunatly, this forum is full of helpfull people who know a lot. (great tuts too)
But do not forget the first rule : Help yourself first, and then heaven'll help you (it's a rough translation from a french proverb) ;)