PDA

View Full Version : Sequence For Molding & Casting?

SithDuelist45
05-12-2010, 03:39 AM
alright yall, i got a sizable list of questions here so strap in your seat belts and get them visine eye drops ready lmao..

so after finally somewhat getting a grasp on how the sequence to making custom armour/Sith masks this is kind of a verification question:

I sculpt the mask/armour out of clay to make the positive imprint.

i use silicone or latex to make my mold for the negative imprint.

i brush on liquid fiberglass and resin in layers of 6 (guessing) on the inside of the mold when the impression of the sculpt was made.

how am i doing so far???

also i am very curious if there is any substitute for the fiberglass/resin recipe. such as a liquid based PVC or Sintra Substance. if so would it hold up as good as the fiberglass? would it be brush on (perferable)? would it be too rigid or too flexible?

also what do you people personally prefer to use for the molding process? silicon? or latex? or something else entirely? alright yall last 2 questions: i know where to get the liquid fiberglass as well as the sculpting clay, but were do i get the resin and what kind of resin/brand (and any other info you can give me) should i get???

and for the last question (i promise) with the clay sculpt of the mask I'm making (Nihilus), is there any type of self hardening clay and if so is it as good to use as the kind you have to put in the oven to make hard??? thanks for anyone who actually read this far, and extra props for anyone who reply's with viable Intel lmao.. :)

Goltar Bias
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
alright yall, i got a sizable list of questions here so strap in your seat belts and get them visine eye drops ready lmao..

so after finally somewhat getting a grasp on how the sequence to making custom armour/Sith masks this is kind of a verification question:

I sculpt the mask/armour out of clay to make the positive imprint.

i use silicone or latex to make my mold for the negative imprint.

i brush on liquid fiberglass and resin in layers of 6 (guessing) on the inside of the mold when the impression of the sculpt was made.

how am i doing so far???

also i am very curious if there is any substitute for the fiberglass/resin recipe. such as a liquid based PVC or Sintra Substance. if so would it hold up as good as the fiberglass? would it be brush on (perferable)? would it be too rigid or too flexible?

also what do you people personally prefer to use for the molding process? silicon? or latex? or something else entirely? alright yall last 2 questions: i know where to get the liquid fiberglass as well as the sculpting clay, but were do i get the resin and what kind of resin/brand (and any other info you can give me) should i get???

and for the last question (i promise) with the clay sculpt of the mask I'm making (Nihilus), is there any type of self hardening clay and if so is it as good to use as the kind you have to put in the oven to make hard??? thanks for anyone who actually read this far, and extra props for anyone who reply's with viable Intel lmao.. :)

Ok your process is spot on for fiberglass. As far as other materials there are resins you can use they are not a brush method like the fiberglass, but more a roto cast metgod where you pour the material in to the mold and the move the mold around to get an even coating as it cures.

Look at this web site, http://www.smooth-on.com/ they specialize in the exact materials you are talking about.

When it comes to the sintra/pvc materials there it is easier to do a vacuform process where you make a positive from a positive by heating the pvc and stretching it over the form and the vacuming out the air to make a complete form. For this you would sculpt the clay the make a negative mold with plaster or plaster gauze then make a plaster positive to use on the vacuforming machine. You can make a vacuforming machine with a large square board some pvc fittings and a houlshold vacum with hose adapter. Many intruction how to's are out there just google vacuform machine.

As for the clay question you can use scuply to do it but first you will need a plaster cast of your face and then a wire frame of the plaster to support the sculpy while it bakes. This will make a useable but not very durable result. If you drop it it will break.

As far as sculpting the original form for makes a negative mold I recomend useing an oil base clay that does not dry out. This will give you a very long working time so you can get your sculpt just right and it is reuseable. Also depending on the varity of oil base clay you get it is very hard when at room temp, but as it warms up in your hand while working with it it softens. Also this is the same thing they do in hollywood for makeing masks and prosthetics.

Well hope this helps, sorry it is long winded any other questions let me know. Drop me a pm or such.