PDA

View Full Version : BCD rotary switch help.

DJMoonbass
05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
okay so its one of those push button rotary switches from all electronics,

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp286/DJMoonbass/IMG_0086.jpg

as you can see its 4 wires 1 red and 3 grey, but for some reason in the package there was no wiring diagram what so ever and none that i could find on the site,

my question is pretty much how do i wire this thing?

there are letters next to the wires to,

red= C
grey 1 = 1
grey 2 = 2
grey 3 = 4

then an small port for 8.

heres my set up. coming from an 18650 - recharge port - main power switch - amber die switch, rotary switch then RGBA 10 watt LED. (we bought the switch before we knew the rotary had a 0 (off) position but we still want to keep it. for fast off and on. and the amber is on a seperate circuit. not connected to the rotary. and this saber has no sound thank god)

i was unsure if i could use the rotary as the positive since i want to supply voltage, not neg for current. so would i have to make a 3 wire bridge from the pos, go to the switch and then use the grey wires to the RGB pos on the LED and then combine all the negs on the LED? if so would i use same corresponding posts that the grey wires are on? im sure the 18650 can put out enough mA to handle the dies in parrallel. which is what im trying to do here.

so then that leaves on final thing: what is the red wire for and would i even use this? this is a very confusing switch.

i really appreciate your guys help. i hope this isnt to newb. ;)

Lord Maul
05-10-2010, 11:02 PM
I used this switch on Spectra for a RGB setup, which is basically what you are doing.

I used a CF for mine, but the principle is the same. Run it off a 1000mA puck. Put the positive Puck lead to the red switch wire. Take the 3 gray wires and put the to the positives on your LED. Chain the negative LED pads together to your negative puck. You can look in the build thread for Spectra for pics.

DJMoonbass
05-11-2010, 07:18 AM
do i need to use a puck? i would rather not. so basically the red wire is the positive input. got it. cooleo!

Rhyen Skytracker
05-11-2010, 08:31 AM
It may be a confusing switch but it is still a switch. You need what ever you are using to power the LEDs (buck puck, resistor or sound card) and put the positive wire to the red wire on the switch and the gray wires go to the positive of the R, G, and B LED. The negative of the LED will go to the negative of what ever you are using to power them. (buck puck, resistor (use batt neg) or sound card LED negative). Here is a diagram that may help.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/misc/BCDRotarywiringdiagram.jpg

DJMoonbass
05-11-2010, 08:50 AM
that makes perfect sense. thank you lord maul and ryhen skytracker for your help. that cleared everything up.