PDA

View Full Version : Need help building lightsaber

BaylorJedi
04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the site but not new to tinkering with things to make a lightsaber. I've gone to my local hardware store and made my own hilt (no blade or anything) and it turned out decent. Well that was a couple years ago and I've been looking into getting something more function (at least with a blade..) I was about to settle on an FX blade however I'm a real fan of making something custom and your own, and thank goodness I found this site before I bought an FX saber. Anyways, I'm not exactly sure what all I'll need to make a good saber.

As for the hilt this is what I have so far:
Main Body: 7 inch fluted w/ standard style switch hole
Extension: MHS Gear
Blade Holder: Screw on LED blade holder style 10
Pommel: MPS Pommel style 3 v 2 and MPS insert style 12

Ok so that's pretty much the hilt. I'd like to have a red saber blade, what parts am I going to need to get this, a blade, wiring etc?? Also if I'm missing anything else please let me know!

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this area, I just haven't read a holocron yet so my lack of lightsaber assembly should me acceptable ;)

Shadar Al'Niende
04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Glad you got started on your parts list! a few links to help you get started.

Try here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2087

Then here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Especially here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=553

And DEFINITELY here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6430

Those links should get you started and give you answers to pretty much any question you might have. Just as a friendly note, this is a DIY (Do It Yourself) forum, this includes finding your own information a lot of times. We are more than happy to help, but general questions tend to get general answers (and flame-age :D). Specific, informed questions tend to get specific, informed answers. ;)

BaylorJedi
04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the links, they are really useful, especially that last one! I'm ordering all the parts nescessary as we speak. Hopefully I've got it all. One quick question.. for this type of handle http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/7-Fluted-with-guarded-style-switch-hole-P380.aspx what type of grip inserts would work? I'm not sure how long those slits are.. I think the 7 piece 4.37 inch should be good. Thoughts?

Here's what I have, I don't think I'm missing anything, however if I am it would be in the electrical department..

Hilt:
Graflex Red Button Replica Thumbscrew
Screw on LED blade holder style 10
MPS Pommel style 3 v 2
MPS Insert style 12
7" Flutted with guarded style switch hole
MHS Gear
Thumb Screw
MPS Clip
MHS choke style I

The electrical stuff:
"Build your own Luxeon III electronics Kit"
2 wire quick connector
LED carbon style show blade 1" (36 inches)
heat shrink

I realize I have a lot of stuff for the hilt but I'm buying extra to so I can mess around and find out what exactly I like. If I've missed anything let me know I plan on ordering this asap!

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 06:34 AM
what type of grip inserts would work?

You don't need any, I find the flutes are a comfortable grip all by themselves but if you want some, you can always order T-grips and trim them down to the size you need.

Not sure the threading on the Graflex Red Button Replica Thumbscrew, but if its the same as the thumbscrew you can drill and tap the hole for the same size and be ok.

Speaking of, are you planning on drilling and tapping the parts yourself? If not, you need to add this to your order so Tim can do it for you (under services)

Do you have some wire? If not I would order some from here since Tim has some good 22 or 26 guage that works well.

So it sounds like you are going for no sound, (what is commonly referred to as a "stunt" saber) make sure you check the wiring diagrams in the forums and get that wired right if you choose to add sound.

You might also like to have a battery holder (and possibly batteries) to power your saber. That is all i can think of so far....

Rafalema
04-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Shadar... The LED kit includes battery holder. :D

The Graflex screws are all 10-32 if Im not mistaken.

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Shadar... The LED kit includes battery holder. :D

I was afraid of that... I never use the kits, i just purchase the parts i need :p thanks for the correct info ;)

The Graflex screws are all 10-32 if Im not mistaken.

That is what I thought...

Crystal Chambers
04-28-2010, 08:50 AM
If using rechargeables with the kit make sure you get the correct resister or buck puck. The voltage is different. Most rechargeables are 1.2V as appose to the 1.5 that the kit is intended for. Check the resistor chart on the bottom left of the store section.

BaylorJedi
04-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Correct, I'm not going for sound, just the ability to light up. I was unaware that I could get my hilt drilled and tapped out when I ordered it. I'm thinking that is the better route to go as I don't have access to a drill press and a hand drill could get hairy! So if I have them drill and tap it is supposed to be an 8-32 thread size, correct?

If I get the kit isn't any required wire included? If not, what wiring is suggested 22 or 26 gauge?

Also I got rid of the Graflex as I don't see it necessary..

jjshumpert
04-28-2010, 03:14 PM
for the hilt length you will end up with you should have plenty of room in the wiring between the lux, bat pack and switch, i would suggest going with the buckpuck as it doesnt bleed off excess voltage in the way of heat as the resistor does

BaylorJedi
05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Ok so I'm waiting for my parts to come in, but I will be using this guide to assemble it, since I won't have any sound for now.. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=326

Assuming everything goes good, and I'm pleased on how the saber turns out, I will then look into giving it sound. Is there anything I need to do when I assemble this saber to be able to add sound to it later? Or will it just be an add on? I couldn't seem to find a guide that discusses the add on of sound, perhaps I just missed it..

Jean-Louis
06-13-2010, 06:18 PM
You can add sound by buying a soundboard or getting a economy force action board (from the toys) you just have to rewire and do more reading. If you choose to add sound you may need to buy a relay from radioshack (and\or maybe a mom switch) but besides that you should be good.