PDA

View Full Version : Hilt suggestion - and hello to forums.

Knighthammer
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while, but I think I'm ready to plunge into building my own saber. I've got several MR ones (a DV one that I will most likely scavenge parts out of at some point).

Anyway - reason for the posting.

I read through the "noob guild" on building a saber - my question is I like the look of a "see through" window on the handle and came up with the following simple design (taking baby steps here)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DSavccvkqd0/S9dc2HU3ioI/AAAAAAAAADk/A6KGvecKoRc/saber%20idea.jpg

Will the basic design work and as long as I mount the LED etc below the window, or do I need to add another spacer between the handle and the grooved part?

Jedi-Loreen
04-27-2010, 04:03 PM
You can't mount the LED below the double male slotted piece, it's designed to go right below the blade holder.

Not sure what you mean by "or do I need to add another spacer between the handle and the grooved part?" Another extension piece? That's going to make that saber even longer.

Knighthammer
04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
OK - good to know. How then do people do that? I've seen ones the in the gallery with what looks like the blade running through the open slotted piece.

Jedi-Loreen
04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Are you sure? Have you seen posted pics of that? I've seen people talk about wanting to do that, then we have to explain why it wouldn't work, but I don't remember seeing any pics of blades actually going through there, the blade holders have a lip that the blade stops against. Can you post links to these pics you say you've seen?

That slotted piece is meant to be used as a crystal chamber, though you can do other things with it too, I suppose.

JamoUp
04-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I have a saber like that. I used a 3mm LED to light up the crystal chamber, mimics the blade color very well.

here:http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8251

Crystal Chambers
04-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I have seen a few where an overlay makes it appear that the blade window is made this way....which you can't do with this blade holder unless you seriously modified it and added a new interior blade holder....some have machined their own aluminum to do this as well but I think what you might want would be a crystal chamber.

For sake of arguement you could remove the blade stop in the holder and bolt in a sinktube blade holder below but it would take up a lot of hilt space and it would be easier/cleaner to do a crystal chamber.

acerocket
04-27-2010, 05:37 PM
It's not just a matter of removing the blade stop. Has anyone actually measured the backside of a bladeholer? There is a .7" bore where the blade stop is. This is only about 1/16" thick. Then there is a .9" bore section where the optics sit. This is about .3" deep. Then a 1" bore section for the remainder. That's a lot of metal removal to get a blade to slide through the bladeholder. Not saying it can't be done, but is it really worth the effort? You would be better off utilizing the blade holder as it is purposed and then using a secondary LED to light up the windowed section.

Crystal Chambers
04-27-2010, 05:44 PM
It's not just a matter of removing the blade stop. Has anyone actually measured the backside of a bladeholer? There is a .7" bore where the blade stop is. This is only about 1/16" thick. Then there is a .9" bore section where the optics sit. This is about .3" deep. Then a 1" bore section for the remainder. That's a lot of metal removal to get a blade to slide through the bladeholder. Not saying it can't be done, but is it really worth the effort? You would be better off utilizing the blade holder as it is purposed and then using a secondary LED to light up the windowed section.

I was trying to keep the description simple but yes a lot work for someone without machining skills, and coming from a skilled machinist. Acerocket that is....My point was more so that it is possible but really not recommended.

hmmm....for that matter you could use a short piece of blade and light it up with an accent LED if you're not into the crystal idea.

Sunrider
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Crystals can look cooler than blade sections IMHO,

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=9520

but a piece of blade tube could be used too.;)

Knighthammer
04-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Ok - so being my first saber and all - I'll redesign a little and worry about a crystal chamber on a 2nd or 3rd one (I like the look for sure). Glad I asked =)

cardcollector
04-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Aw c'mon! It is just an accent Led under a crystal. They are really easy to make...

Anyway, I like this design a lot. What color are you planning on making it?

Knighthammer
04-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I was thinking blue for the blade/crystal area.
PC black in the handle grooves & maybe the rings around the blade holder as well.

Crystal Chambers
04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Cool stuff...personally I'd be tempted to use the new trim rings on either side of the slotted section.

Also I don't think making the crystal chamber has to be difficult. Once you've seen enough of them and how some of them are made it really doesn't seem too hard.