PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started. Help please

Mi5Fi7
04-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Hey I'm new and just about to buy my first saber, I just wish to know what I need added to this list or removed for what I want.

Just want a standard saber that will light up, I don't want sound at the moment well here is my list so far:

Screw on LED blade holder style 11
SPST Latching Guarded switch with red button
Makototsai LED's V2 (Red)
4AA Battery holder
D-ring belt mount
Hilt style 4 with guarded style switch hole
MPS insert style 12
MHS choke style 3
MPS Pommel style 4
3/4" Thick walled Polycarbonate 40" long (No cut)
Shouldered 3/4" thick walled blade tips

So is there anything i need to add, remove or change?

Thanks in advance. MISFIT

JamoUp
04-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Not sure why you have the Makotosai LED. ditch the battery holder as well, and get this: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Build-Your-Own-Luxeon-III-Electronics-Kit-P6.aspx

Jedi-Loreen
04-26-2010, 11:10 AM
If you want to use a 3/4" blade, you're going to need one of these:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/634.jpg
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-to-34-Reducer-P147.aspx

Which I don't think is going to look too pretty with that "swiss cheese" style blade holder you want to use, but that's just my opinion.

Also, get the 5 degree lens for this blade.

What method do you plan to use to hold in your pommel insert?

Mi5Fi7
04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
What blade should i use instead then because i dont want to change the tip.

And for the pommel i have no idea what to look at to hold it in there.

Jedi-Loreen
04-26-2010, 10:56 PM
You don't want to change the tip? Wut? The blade tip? :confused:

Did you notice the MPS clip in the Store? Guess what it's meant for, considering it's in the pommel section? ;) But there are other methods that people use, too, which you didn't know.

And that tells me that........

Yousa need ta do more readin', boyo. :o

LOTS more.

Mi5Fi7
04-26-2010, 11:19 PM
No the Swish cheese part as you put it. I dont want to change that part, so what blade should i use instead?

I have a clip now for the pommel.

Skottsaber
04-27-2010, 12:16 AM
If you want to use that 'swiss cheese' bladeholder, then you will need a 1" blade, because that's what they were designed for.

Mi5Fi7
04-27-2010, 05:25 AM
got a link to the blade? cant find it

Crystal Chambers
04-27-2010, 06:31 AM
hehe...ok look under "LED specific" in the store. I don't know if you're aware but the LED you chose is used to make LED strings. Look in "LED specific", and under "hilt electronics" you'll find the LED stars, lenses, holders and a few other things you might want.

If you want this to light up your going to need to do some research at which point you'll know where to find these items in the store. If you haven't read the "New to the saber scene" area of the forum then you probably should. It will tell you all the basics you need to know to build your first saber. This is a DIY oriented site so people are only going to give you as much help as you've earned by showing you've attempted to find the info yourself. I don't mean to be negative but just to give you the heads up.

I will tell you this...if you choose to go with an LED lit blade (as apposed to EL or LED string) which most seem to do, you'll need a resistor, a buck puck, or an LED driver to supply the proper current to your LED. There is a resistor chart on the store part of the site where you can select your battery and LED to find the proper resistor or buck puck.

When you have more questions then people to answer them the search engine is your friend.

Skottsaber
04-27-2010, 07:46 AM
This is a DYI oriented site so people are only going to give you as much help as you've earned by showing you've attempted to find the info yourself.

DYI? What? :rolleyes:

Crystal Chambers
04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
DYI..oops, I meant DIY, Do it yourself...If that's the only mistake I made in that post then I'm doing well.

Mi5Fi7
04-28-2010, 03:33 AM
With the 1" Blade do I want it to be 1" thick or thin walled?

cardcollector
04-28-2010, 07:07 AM
I vote thin!
The thinwalled blade is plenty tough for all except insane amount of dueling...
Plus, it is brighter and more "lightsaberfeelingish"...

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 07:12 AM
I vote thin!
The thinwalled blade is plenty tough for all except insane amount of dueling...
Plus, it is brighter and more "lightsaberfeelingish"...

I agree, i did the thickwalled on my first saber, i will never do so again. They are heavy, unweildy, and just inferior to the thickwalled in everyway IMO. They only thing i would want a thickwalled blade for is if i am planning on smashing things with my lightsaber....like computer screens...:p

cardcollector
04-28-2010, 07:18 AM
I agree, i did the thickwalled on my first saber, i will never do so again. They are heavy, unweildy, and just inferior to the thickwalled in everyway IMO. They only thing i would want a thickwalled blade for is if i am planning on smashing things with my lightsaber....like computer screens...:p

hehe I did the same thing too,...

Any body want thickwalled blade?!?! (I'm just kidding, no solicitation...;))

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 07:21 AM
hehe I did the same thing too,...

Any body want thickwalled blade?!?! (I'm just kidding, no solicitation...;))

i used mine to test sanding grits for blade diffusion :lol:

cardcollector
04-28-2010, 07:22 AM
i used mine to test sanding grits for blade diffusion :lol:

I cut mine up to make bladeholder plugs....

Mi5Fi7
04-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Should i keep the lens at 5 degrees? or make it 10 degrees? since im using the 1" thin walled blade.

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Generally i use the 10 degree lenses, they fit the holder a little better and will give you what you need unless you are doing a blade around 4 feet. Once again, there is some debate over this but IMO 10 degree > 5 degree...

*edit* Thanks for the clarification CC (stupid typos)

cardcollector
04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Yep, Use a 10 degree. 5 degrees are nice for a 38-40" blade, but anything else you should use a 10degree....

Crystal Chambers
04-28-2010, 08:40 AM
I have to agree on the 10 degree...but from what I've seen thick walled are the way to go if you want to any dueling because from what I can tell the thin walled have some flex to them. I'm not very strong at all and I don't find the thick walled too heavy but I do get tired after 20 mins of dueling. It can be difficult to disguise the thickness of the blade when lit but they do look ok overall if you sand them and use the right combo of giftwrap, with or without blade film or a TCSS diffuser. I think the new trans white blades might be the best yet though. IMO

Jedi-Loreen
04-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Nobody caught this^ typo, where he must have meant "thin walled".

Et Kin Evenstar
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure SOME of us did see it, knew what he meant, and decided we did not need to comment on it. I think i won the pool on what time you would point it out though. ;-)

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 12:21 PM
haha thanks J-lo... :D

Jedi-Loreen
04-28-2010, 12:22 PM
I was just trying to make sure the new person who's thread this is wasn't confused.

Your winking smiley doesn't make me feel any less insulted by your post. I know you don't like me correcting people, since I did it to you.

I would appreciate it if you stopped posting your snide comments directed at me.

Et Kin Evenstar
04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
You're reading WAY too much into my comments J-Lo. And other then your pointing out my use of a certain letter, I'm not sure where else you've "corrected" me? Any way, remember...anger leads to the dark side.

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
J-Lo gets a lot of un-needed crap for simply trying to help people out. Some of your comments i have thought could have been a little snyde myself regardless of their intent. Not that you meant anything by it... Just how it seemed to me... just my $.02

Et Kin Evenstar
04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Re-reading my last post I guess I can see how it could be taken that way, so I will apologize to J-Lo here. I did NOT mean it as an insult. Perhaps I'm still too new here to make those kinds of jokes. Let's drop it and keep this on topic.

Jedi-Loreen
04-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree, let's just move on.