PDA

View Full Version : Aaarrggghhh!!!!

Et Kin Evenstar
04-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Just need to vent....being a noob at this stinks.

I was working on building a Luke ROTJ for my son. It was going pretty good. Was even going to have a little lit up crystal in the pommel.

90% done and then did not THINK about what I was doing and managed to rip all the wires off the board when screwing the parts together with the switch wires hanging out. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

Now I gotta pull it all apart, re-solder the wires to the board and start over. :mad:

Vent over. As you were.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Happens to the best of us....don't sweat it. It's how we learn! ;)

Scars Unseen
04-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Droids don't rip the wires out of their soundboards when they put hilts together. Wookies have been known to do that.

Skottsaber
04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Droids don't rip the wires out of their soundboards when they put hilts together. Wookies have been known to do that.

Perhaps in another thread... I wouldn't find that funny if that happened to me.

jjshumpert
04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
ive ripped molex connectors of mr boards a few times, never fun when you realize the mistake, but we learn best from our mistakes...

Shadar Al'Niende
04-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Perhaps in another thread... I wouldn't find that funny if that happened to me.

In his defense, i think his point was more that he is not a droid (and therefore perfect) and not to be too hard on himself.

Tough luck man...that sucks...

Scars Unseen
04-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Actually it was more of a "laughter is the best medicine" sort of thing. I often find that the easiest way for me to get over something like this is to have a good laugh about it. Then I'm better able to focus and fix the problem. *shrug* It's just how I deal with my problems.

Et Kin Evenstar
04-26-2010, 02:42 PM
I did not take offense to any of the responses or think any was intended. I've got it about 1/2 "fixed." I'm having a hard time with these switch wires. This board came with 4 switch wires (blue, green, grey, purple - numbered 1-4 on board and on switch). Does anyone know if I can re-wire it so it will only use 2? Would make my life a whole lot easier. Trying to wire 4 individually w/out anything touching is proving to be...difficult. The board and LED power up, all sounds work, but when i turn the switch off the lights stay on. I am certain I've screwed up the 4 wires somehow.

Skottsaber
04-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Ok, apologies so SU.

Back on topic, I'm not sure about that particular board's switch wires. It would be good if you could dry hook up 2 latching switches, 1 for each set of wires, and find out what each pairing does.

Et Kin Evenstar
04-27-2010, 11:56 AM
So, I take it from reading this:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=112565

That there is no way to bundle the 4 wires in a way that will work?

Skottsaber
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Ok... I meant my previous post as a way of testing the wires.

If Ryhen has already found that out, then all you need is a dpdt switch.

I think you would wire it like attached. The blue squiggly line is showing where the power is flowing according to the switches position. I.e The common pole can connect to either negative pole by throwing the switch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237687/TCSS%20Posts/DPDT%20Switch.bmp

Et Kin Evenstar
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
The switch is not my problem. I'm worried I won't be able to re-solder the 4 wires off the board without accidentally touching some combination together that'll screw everything up.

Et Kin Evenstar
04-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Grrr...think this one may be headed for the trash. As far as I can tell I've got all the switch wires re-soldered back to the proper place, but it won't work. All powers up if I connect the battery, but the switch does nada. Anyone have any ideas on how i might salvage this board? :-(

Shadar Al'Niende
04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
pics would help...

Caine Drathul
04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
I did that on an MR FX board last week, blowing out a resistor in the process, and I did the same thing to an economy board a few days later. <smacks head>

Like Jay-Gon says, it happens to the best of us...or in my case the dorks of us, haha

cardcollector
04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Grrr...think this one may be headed for the trash. As far as I can tell I've got all the switch wires re-soldered back to the proper place, but it won't work. All powers up if I connect the battery, but the switch does nada. Anyone have any ideas on how i might salvage this board? :-(

OK, first pics please. A picture is a thousand words....

Second. (If I were fixing this board) I would completely start over. I would also get a solder wick just ain case any solder is touching two traces at one time. This is going to take time, if you try and do a rush job you will destroy the board.

P.S. Don't throw the board away, there are many talented sabersmiths that can repair your board for less the cost of a new one....

Et Kin Evenstar
04-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Ah.....learned something new today...."solder wick?" OK!

I'll give it a shot and if still have no luck will try to post pics. My camera stinks and does not allow for good close ups though, which is what ya'll will need.

I have been in contact with someone about fixing it for me as well. Just in case. :-)

Et Kin Evenstar
04-28-2010, 04:42 PM
The good news is I've now learned about solder wicking (Thanks CC!) and I did the best job I could do on this. The bad news is I still don't know what is wrong. As soon as I hook up the wires from the batteries the board goes on and the switch won't turn it off. When I flip the switch it seems to cause the "power up" font to trigger but then flipping the switch the other way does nothing. Time for to send this board to someone more experienced then I!