PDA

View Full Version : Video of combat in Star Wars: The Old Republic

Dakarn
04-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Looking very nice and balanced:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-combat-star-wars/64689

Everyone gets something cool and useful from the video, not just Sith and Jedi.

Jester
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM
I can only imagine the system requirments for this one.

Crystal Chambers
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
The various character choices are nice but I hate MMOs and compared to other new games the graphics don't look to good. When I buy a game I wanna own it and be able to play by myself or a few close friends without having to go online.

Jedi-Loreen
04-23-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree with Crystal on those same points.

Dakarn
04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Note that its still a year+ out from release (Spring/Summer 2011), so graphics should be updated and nice and pretty by that point.

sekrogue1985
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
i've never liked MMOs because it just never suited my style of game play. I do agree with Crystal on this one. I also agree with dakam on the point that the game is still aways from being completed so we might get a graphics boost. Still I'm avoiding it even if I could do the it's my story kinda thing.

Shadar Al'Niende
04-23-2010, 02:15 PM
The various character choices are nice but I hate MMOs and compared to other new games the graphics don't look to good. When I buy a game I wanna own it and be able to play by myself or a few close friends without having to go online.

Seriously.... it kind of annoys me that when a game comes out that REALLY starts to capture SW and make playing it fun...it has to be a stupid MMO... BAH! :|

Scars Unseen
04-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Note that its still a year+ out from release (Spring/Summer 2011), so graphics should be updated and nice and pretty by that point.

I'm pretty sure they've found their artistic direction and aren't likely to change it again. They are going the WoW route and using cartoonish graphics. At least they got rid of the Pringles can lightsabers they were initially going to use.

Still, I pretty much gave up MMOs when my daughter was born. They waste too much time that I could use actually enjoying myself or spending time with the family.

Eomund
04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm with the consensus on this one. Meh.

Kal El Rah
04-23-2010, 11:29 PM
And don't forget the monthly to play online fee.

JamoUp
04-24-2010, 07:03 AM
So much bitterness. I think the video is amazing. It looks great graphicaly to me as well. The debs have stated several times there will be many graphic settings you can use. And monthly fee is still up in the air as well. Might be free to play and then micro transaction based in-game. The stories you will get to play are going to be your story. You get to make decisions in the world. If you don't want to play with other people don't. If you do want to there I'll be a lot of people to play with. Not sure why all the co plaints a year away from launch. When no one has played it yet. Still if nothing can change your mind about this game. It has brought two web comics and two novels on the way. So, you might like the new story lines it is creating.

Jase Kala Maris
04-24-2010, 08:17 AM
My biggest rant about this game is that I've been waiting FOREVER for it to come out. The graphics could be better but it's not a console where you have 20-30 characters on the screen, I'm sure that there will be huge battles and you can't expect any machine even PS3 or top of the line alienware gameing rig to render 50 500 polygon characters, not to mention blaster bolts, force effects etc etc and not totally bog down. Best Graphics MMO IMO is Everquest 2 but I hated it cuse of the total grind fest and many other reason.

I'm about to totally age myself but the most awesome experience I've had playing an MMO was Asheron's Call. The monthly updates and story line was updated constently. Every month they added more things to do places to go armors and weapons and for the 15bucks a month I was paying it was soooo worth it. Yea the graphics suck when you look at it now but then it was awesome, in my opinion. I could tell you stories forever about the fun times and late nights I had playing that with friends all over the US and the world.

I've played tons of MMOs since then Eve Online, Everquest 2, WOW, Starwars Galaxies, Homeworld, and many more. Beta Tested almost all of them. To be honest I was incredible disappointed in all of them.

Sorry back to SWTOR.

I have high hopes for this one. I signed up for the beta test but I don't contribute at all in their forums. So I most likely wont be a tester which sucks... it's just have you read their forums... jeez what a waist of space... sorry to anyone who's a member over there!

MMO's are not for everyone but I could play a good one for hours. It's nice to work with other peeps online for a goal and make friends. Unless a game is awesome I get really bored with it. And I'm not 15 anymore so I just don't have the twitch reflexes for Modern Warfare, although I still try sometimes!

I hope this is a great game, I think overall it looks good. I wouldn't expect the graphics to get any better, there close to beta testing (at least that's what they've been saying for 6 months) If anyone plays the beta look me up I'll be using my screen name here.

Shadar Al'Niende
04-24-2010, 08:19 AM
So much bitterness. I think the video is amazing. It looks great graphicaly to me as well. The debs have stated several times there will be many graphic settings you can use. And monthly fee is still up in the air as well. Might be free to play and then micro transaction based in-game. The stories you will get to play are going to be your story. You get to make decisions in the world. If you don't want to play with other people don't. If you do want to there I'll be a lot of people to play with. Not sure why all the co plaints a year away from launch. When no one has played it yet. Still if nothing can change your mind about this game. It has brought two web comics and two novels on the way. So, you might like the new story lines it is creating.

I will be honest, if it is free to play i will definitely give it a go (i may turn off chat, counting that as an option, and play by myself...)

Strydur
04-24-2010, 08:51 AM
I like MMO's.. I have only played a few though. For instance...

Eq1
Eq2
Lineage 2
LOTR online
WOW
Aion
Warhammer
SWG
D&D online
Vanguard
DAOC
Anarchy online

Dakarn
04-24-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm an old school MMO player myself, I enjoy the interaction once you find a good group of people to play with.

I'm a vet of:
EQ1
EQ2
DAOC
Warhammer
WOW
City of Heroes
Champions
SWG

(Did beta for all of the above too - funny when your burned out on a game before it even releases)

Onli-Won Kanomi
04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I've never played a MMORPG game [I prefer single player to online and wish this was KOTOR 3] but I definitely WILL play this one. As for the graphics when the original KOTOR came out it didn't have the state-of-the-art graphics of games at that time either but despite that it won many fans and Game Of The Year awards because its STORY was so good and that is what will hook me on this game or not: If they build it I will come - If they write it WELL I will stay.

Skottsaber
04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
I like MMO's.. I have only played a few though. For instance...

Eq1
Eq2
Lineage 2
LOTR online
WOW
Aion
Warhammer
SWG
D&D online
Vanguard
DAOC
Anarchy online

SEE! All the more reason to have a TCSS "Guild"!

Sunrider
04-24-2010, 05:58 PM
ARRRRRG MMO.... Bantha Poodoo.:rolleyes: