PDA

View Full Version : Ready to order parts

IcyPhoenix
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
By the end of the month I will start construction (with help from one who has built a dozen sabers) on a new saber.

Its name is "Redeemer". The parts lists I have is as such, if you see anything that is missing or needed, please let me know.

Thank you and everyone for all the help,

LED "TCSS style" Battle blade 1" OD (36 inches)
Screw on LED blade holder style 4 (*Drill & Tap Hole (10-32*)
MHS choke style 3
7" Fluted with guarded style switch hole
MPS Pommel style 3 v2
MPS Insert style 9
MPS Clip

Luxeon Rebel Star (Royal Blue)
Luxeon Collimator Lens 10 deg viewing angle
BuckPuck 700mA 4-wire
Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
6AA Battery Holder
AA 2600mAh NiMH Rechargeable battery x 6

Rafalema
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Why NiMh? If you really need 7.2v, why not just go with 2 Li-Ion cells?

Also, be ware that you NEED the thermal tape to be between the Lux Rebel and the Heatsink in order to fit the Rebel to MHS.

Where is the guarded switch?

And finally, do you live in USA? Cause if you don't live in USA, then YOU NEED TO BUY THE BLADE RETENTION SCREW FROM HERE.

Otherwise it's fine to me..

IcyPhoenix
04-21-2010, 09:07 AM
I knew I forgot something,

The switch I picked was, SPST Latching Guarded switch with silver button

and I was going to see about using the 10-32 x 1/4" set screw ad the retention screw.

Edit:

Which battery would you use in the saber?

Rafalema
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I would indefinetely go with 2 Li-Ions AA sized TrustFires, because they save so much space compared to the NiMh.

IcyPhoenix
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
So,

Replace the 6AA Battery Holder with a 2 AA battery holder,

Replace the NiMh with TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Lithium Battery (2-Pack).

Thanks,

Edit: and the thermo tape, once it is back in stock.

Rafalema
04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
And you will also need the Li-Ion charger and a recharge port

IcyPhoenix
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Thank you for all the help.

Once I get everything I will start posting photos,

Jedi-Loreen
04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
The 6AA battery pack won't fit inside a 7" hilt anyway. If you look at the dimensions of the pack in the store description, it's almost 6 1/4" long, that doesn't allow for the 1/2" of threads on each end of the hilt, and the heat sink with the LED on it sits in the lip of the hilt and extends down into the hilt, so that leaves even less room.

Then, when you add a guarded switch, since it sticks so far into the hilt, you've now only got about 4 1/2" of battery space, and that's if the buck puck will fit between the bottom of the heat sink and top of the guarded switch.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
And you will also need the Li-Ion charger and a recharge port
He does need a charger, but not the recharge port:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-All-in-One-Charger-P346.aspx
That's the charger for use with the Trustfire protected cells. The other one is for the un-protected cells that you use the PCB with. Then he'd need the recharge port.

Rafalema
04-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I didn't know that one..

What would happen if you would put 2 x AA sized TrustFires to form 7.2v pack, and a recharge port, and then use the Li-Ion smart charger and a recharge port?

Shadar Al'Niende
04-24-2010, 06:54 AM
I didn't know that one..

What would happen if you would put 2 x AA sized TrustFires to form 7.2v pack, and a recharge port, and then use the Li-Ion smart charger and a recharge port?

Seemed to work fine when i did it.... only charged them once to full charge but no explosion yet... :shock:

Jay-gon Jinn
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Seemed to work fine when i did it.... only charged them once to full charge but no explosion yet... :shock:
It does work, but you may not be getting the full run time out of the batteries that you might if they were individually charged. When one battery reaches it's full charge and it's pcb trips, the other battery which may not be fully charged is now no longer getting charged, thereby shortening your run time as that battery's pcb will then trip when it hits the low charge threshold cutting power to your saber.

Shadar Al'Niende
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
It does work, but you may not be getting the full run time out of the batteries that you might if they were individually charged. When one battery reaches it's full charge and it's pcb trips, the other battery which may not be fully charged is now no longer getting charged, thereby shortening your run time as that battery's pcb will then trip when it hits the low charge threshold cutting power to your saber.

Ahhh gotcha, that makes sense!

Obi-Ben
04-24-2010, 07:24 PM
If I could add something here, in addition to what Jay-gon said... I've found in my experience with a battery pack charging in-hilt--it just isn't as easy or practical as a couple of removable rechargeable cells.

Causa
04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Hello, this is my first post, but I've been reading up over the last week or so on the information on these boards.

I've had a lot of questions, but every time I tell myself to "read for 1 more hour before posting," and it's worked so far...

My question now is about these Li-Ion battery packs...will 2 AA's (as suggested) be enough for a Luxion Rebel green with a buckpuck 1000mA 4 wire, and is there a safe and effective way to set up the recharging port into the pommel?

I know that Obi-Ben mentioned that removing them was easier, but this is my first and I like the idea of plugging in the whole saber, like plugging in a cell phone or ipod.

Thanks all,

Causa

Shadar Al'Niende
04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Hello, this is my first post, but I've been reading up over the last week or so on the information on these boards.

I've had a lot of questions, but every time I tell myself to "read for 1 more hour before posting," and it's worked so far...

My question now is about these Li-Ion battery packs...will 2 AA's (as suggested) be enough for a Luxion Rebel green with a buckpuck 1000mA 4 wire, and is there a safe and effective way to set up the recharging port into the pommel?

I know that Obi-Ben mentioned that removing them was easier, but this is my first and I like the idea of plugging in the whole saber, like plugging in a cell phone or ipod.

Thanks all,

Causa

Yup, 2 li-ions will work This thread here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=2235) has a good wiring diagram for your in-hilt charging.

With this setup you should get almost 1 hour of continuous run-time

Causa
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I was reading that earlier today...I figure that it will make more sense once it's all infront of me ;)

The links to the parts, and the rechargable battery packs are broken, and the only chargers I've been able to find on the site were the ones that you plug the batteries in directly.

I'm considering just taking them out to charge them, since the charger would be useful for a lot of other things, aside from my new saber. But strictly cool factor wise...I want to do this :p

-------------------------EDIT

Re reading through this thread and digesting some more of the info, Jay-Gon mentioned that the Li-ion smart charger was only for the Unprotected Li-ion batteries that you need to solder the protection board to, and then someone wrap that all into a rechargeable pack?

So, to clarify, there is no protected rechargable pack for sale. I can either buy the unprotected batteries and the PCB, and the smart charger, and make my own rechargeable pack, or get the protected batteries, in a 2AA holder, and then take them out and plug them into the all in one?

Jay-gon Jinn
05-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I was reading that earlier today...I figure that it will make more sense once it's all infront of me ;)

The links to the parts, and the rechargable battery packs are broken, and the only chargers I've been able to find on the site were the ones that you plug the batteries in directly.

I'm considering just taking them out to charge them, since the charger would be useful for a lot of other things, aside from my new saber. But strictly cool factor wise...I want to do this :p

-------------------------EDIT

Re reading through this thread and digesting some more of the info, Jay-Gon mentioned that the Li-ion smart charger was only for the Unprotected Li-ion batteries that you need to solder the protection board to, and then someone wrap that all into a rechargeable pack?

So, to clarify, there is no protected rechargable pack for sale. I can either buy the unprotected batteries and the PCB, and the smart charger, and make my own rechargeable pack, or get the protected batteries, in a 2AA holder, and then take them out and plug them into the all in one?
No, there is no rechargeable, protected Li-Ion pack for sale at TCSS....at least not right now. There may be in the future. And yes, to charge the Trustfires it would be best to charge them in the Trustfire All-In-One charger, out of the hilt. That charger charges each battery individually, rather than both at once, making sure each battery is at it's peak charge. This way, if you have two pairs, one can be in the charger charging, the other pair can go into your saber for continued saber fun. :D

Otherwise, if you want to just plug the saber in and quit using it until it recharges, then you would have to make your own pack using the un-protected cells and the PCB with the recharge port.

So, yeah, you basically got it. ;)