PDA

View Full Version : Reed Relay Woes

yell0w_lantern
04-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I have been trying to wire up one of the Cheapy Hasbro boards to a Lux Rebel. Unfortunately, I can't get the LED to light. I've tug tested the wires and they seem fine. My next thought is that I have wired the Relay incorrectly. I Y-split the battery pack to the sound board and positive to the relay with the negative going to a resistor prior to the LED.
Here is how I have the Relay wired:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/yell0w_lantern/WiredRelay01a.jpg

It's from the diagram on the back of the relay package. I took it to mean that the bottom right terminal would make a circuit with the upper left when the coil was not energized but when the coil was energized it would contact with the upper right terminal.

Did I read this wrong?
I would greatly appreciate any help.

cannibal869
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
when you turn on the board, do you hear a click in the relay?

From what you drew, I think the wiring is correct. Did you try just for kicks soldering the LED lead to the other terminal and testing it that way? BTW, do you happen to have a multimeter?

Rhyen Skytracker
04-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Just make sure that the relay coil voltage is what the LED output is from the card. If the coil voltage is lower than the board output then it won't be enough voltage to energize the coil. It the voltage is too much it can fry the coil. Some of the relay coils are polarity sensitive too, so try swapping the + and - on the relay coil see if that helps.

yell0w_lantern
04-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I checked again and there is a click; I'm guessing that means the voltage is sufficient. I tried to locate relay as close to the ones from the thread on these new sound boards.

I have yet to invest in a multimeter though.

I'll recheck some of my lousier solder connections and from there maybe try the other terminal.

Thank you, sirs. :D

Caine Drathul
04-18-2010, 10:54 PM
There is a thread with in depth posts regarding relays and the Hasbro economy boards

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=9642

Take the time to read thru them and it may solve your problem. There is many a diagram to use. I use the Radio Shack 5V relay, and it works just fine.

yell0w_lantern
04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
It is a great thread. I actually read it prior to buying this relay. :D