04-10-2010, 05:11 AM
A friend of mine wants to make a saber with light and sound,
but is on a small budget, and is willing to settle for the cheaper/simpler
solutions.

His plans are to make a Screap-heap style saber, for which he has found
some parts.

Problem 1: Base
He found some sinktube, but its weak as tin foil, so he's
looking for something sturdy, yet cheap for a base tube.

Problem 2: Internals.
I have tried to set up a parts list including things he might need,
but for some reason i cant get below $60, $40 shipping not included...
(which he finds expensive, seeing how his to-be-converted belt-hanger cost like $5...)

This does not include the soundcard.

Problem 3: Sound and switches.
He would like to use just one switch, with a cheap hasbro if nescessary.
That shouldnt be a problem, but for some reason i cant find any 5V relays around here.. So the question really is, could a Green Rebel
be driven directly off the Eco Hasbro? (didn't find many Rebel/Hasbro combo's...)

So, if any of you have ideas and suggestions for a cheap-as-can-be saber,
please let me know.

mTm

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-10-2010, 05:39 AM
The truth of the matter is that lightsabers are not cheap to make, if you want them to be anywhere near decent. It's going to be very difficult to build a nice saber with sound for under $60. If he finds that price too expensive, then his best bet is probably one of the new Hasbros.

Sorry to be blunt, but he can't have his cake and eat it too. If he wants a decent saber, it's going to cost him. If he wants to pay less than $60, he'll get what he pays for.

The econo boards won't supply enough juice to run a rebel, or anything else. I just metered one the other day, and I was only getting around 200mA.

You might get lucky and find a damaged FX saber on FleaBay, but with the cost of converting it, and shipping charges, it's still going to be expensive.

cardcollector
04-10-2010, 06:57 AM
The only way to get a cheapo Saber is to use PVC.
There are set costs you can't get around....

PVC (screws, 1" PVC...): $5
Blade (tube, tip, and film): $15
LED :$8
Switch: $2.50
Soundboard: $22
Premium speaker: $6
Batterypack: $1

Of, course, this doesnt include the resistors, relay/transistor, etc....

Hope that helps some.

Ingchao
04-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Let's not forget shipping costs. That'll add another $5 @ least to the cost.

When most people start to factor in the extra hassle/cost of the soundboard, that cures them real fast of wanting sound. At least it did for me.

mihunai
04-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Around $60 allso...

I'll just go and give him the 'good' news :-P

Thanks for the input though

mTm

Rhyen Skytracker
04-10-2010, 01:54 PM
There is not really any way to get a decent sturdy saber for the price he is looking for.

Ingchao
04-10-2010, 05:48 PM
There is not really any way to get a decent sturdy saber for the price he is looking for.
Unless ya go w/o an led and just use colored cello wrap.:) Which ironically, is better in daylight than the most expensive saber out there.

Rhyen Skytracker
04-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Still, a decent sturdy hilt would be more than $50.

Rafalema
04-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Buy some thick walled PolyC, put there colored cellophane wrap, and then, put some grip tape to the other end and you have a cheap "saber".

cardcollector
04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
you call that decent Rafalema?????:shock:

You need to tell your friend decent and cheap don't go together. If he wants a lightsaber that is noisy and bright he should expect to shell out anywhere from $60-$80 on the LOW end.

If he doesn't want to pay that much, he doesn't want a lightsaber very badly.

Ok, that was a little harsh...

A basic saber will take:

hasbro cheapy sound: $21
1.25" sinktube BH: $20
sinktube: $7
speaker: $6
Blade: $32
LED and optics: $14
Switch: $2.50
Wire: $2
Heatshrink: $1
Blade set screw: ~$1
pommel insert of some kind ~$4
Shipping: $8

Total: $108 for a basic saber with no individuality or adornment.

My advice would be for your friends to grow a pair, earn a few bucks and buy a descent saber or the parts to build one.

Rafalema
04-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Umm... Amm.....

:oops:

Ingchao
04-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Buy some thick walled PolyC, put there colored cellophane wrap, and then, put some grip tape to the other end and you have a cheap "saber".
or you could just paint an oak dowel neon orange or green.

cardcollector
04-11-2010, 11:21 AM
or you could just paint an oak dowel neon orange or green.

LOLOLOL!!!:p:D:cool:

It would look great in a blacklight!:rolleyes:

mihunai
04-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Once again, thanks for the input guys.

I think it's beginning to dawn on him that this is not a cheap hobby.

The way things are looking now, he's having a custom machined hilt
with an FX board or SS 1.0 (a spare board of mine, if i can get a CF...)

mTm

Crystal Chambers
04-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Wow custom machined is quite the 180. I know I'd pay way more then 60 for nice belt hanger but then I'm an artist, so I'm kinda picky like that. Otherwise a couple hundred dollars isn't a big deal when you save for months or a year or so. I would actually like to do a long term deluxe build while I work on other not so complex/expensive sabers.

I would expect to pay at least $120 for a complete (shipping, wires, batteries, everything) LED saber with cheapy sound. When you look at the cost of a MR, you're doing well to have a custom that's most likely brighter and personalized.

Causa
04-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Just playing around with the shopping cart on a few builds the other day, With no sound, no driver board, almost everything basic, and I was hitting 120 dollars before shipping.

Screw on LED blade holder style 10 $23.95
Hilt style 4 with guarded style switch hole $30.00
MPS Pommel style 6 $6.00
MPS Clip $0.79
MPS insert style 12 $10.00
MHS choke style 3 $10.50
DPDT Latching green illuminated switch $16.00
LED "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD $28.99
Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg $4.00
Luxeon III/V Lens Holder $2.00
BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire $14.99
Luxeon Rebel Star (Green) $12.00
TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 $5.64
2AA Battery holder $1.23
---------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $166.09

plus the thermal tape and the thumbscrew, so that's about 4.50ish.

This also doesn't include any sort of outter sleeve, any custom paints that you might do yourself at home, powder coating... nor any recharger for the batteries, etc.

I'm probably missing even more than that, but meh.

Rafalema
04-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Just playing around with the shopping cart on a few builds the other day, With no sound, no driver board, almost everything basic, and I was hitting 120 dollars before shipping.

Screw on LED blade holder style 10 $23.95
Hilt style 4 with guarded style switch hole $30.00
MPS Pommel style 6 $6.00
MPS Clip $0.79
MPS insert style 12 $10.00
MHS choke style 3 $10.50
DPDT Latching green illuminated switch $16.00
LED "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD $28.99
Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg $4.00
Luxeon III/V Lens Holder $2.00
BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire $14.99
Luxeon Rebel Star (Green) $12.00
TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 $5.64
2AA Battery holder $1.23
---------------------------------------------------
Subtotal $166.09

plus the thermal tape and the thumbscrew, so that's about 4.50ish.

This also doesn't include any sort of outter sleeve, any custom paints that you might do yourself at home, powder coating... nor any recharger for the batteries, etc.

I'm probably missing even more than that, but meh.

Why are you posting this here?!?!?! If you want people to give you their opinions about your parts list, make a new thread to the "Parts Lists" section instead of posting in here.

Causa
04-29-2010, 12:48 PM
because the OP's friend was looking at a basic saber with sound for about 60 dollars.

I was showing to get a basic saber with NO sound would be about 130-140.

the one posted has about 20 dollars of add ons, but is still a very basic build, and running about 180 with shipping.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-29-2010, 09:20 PM
because the OP's friend was looking at a basic saber with sound for about 60 dollars.

I was showing to get a basic saber with NO sound would be about 130-140.

the one posted has about 20 dollars of add ons, but is still a very basic build, and running about 180 with shipping.
True, but the question was answered a couple of times already. We do appreciate you taking the time to try and help a fellow member out, though.

Rafalema: Chill out, dude.....it's not that big of a deal....

KuroChou
04-30-2010, 01:13 AM
If you'll recall my only build thread, I built my hilt completely from scrap metal that cost me... oh about $0.00.
I already had an old hasbro laying around (which happened to be the first saber I ever owned) so sound was free too.
Someone might like to argue that this is one of the most expensive pieces if you don't already have it, but I recently scored a couple working tpm's from a local thrift store. $1.50 each. speakers were shot, but they were too big anyway... tack on the TCSS premium for ~$6.

Saber sound for $7.50. Score.

now let's throw in the blade for ~$30 and the LED kit for ~$18.50, and a $.50 transistor + $.10 resistors (or a $5 RS relay).
and tack on a worthy amount for shipping.

review
-------------------------------
Hilt:...............$0.00
Sound:...........$7.50
Blade:............$30.00
LED Kit...........$18.50
LED driver.......$.60-$5.50
Shipping.........$20.00
Build total:......$81.50

It'll never get much cheaper than that.

Novastar
04-30-2010, 01:27 AM
review
Hilt:...............$0.00
Sound:...........$7.50
Blade:............$30.00
LED Kit...........$18.50
LED driver.......$.60-$5.50
Shipping.........$20.00
Build total:......$81.50

It'll never get much cheaper than that.Never say never.

Making your own blade from the individual parts would cost much less than $30.00...
You don't need an LED driver... (for a "cheap as it gets" setup). You might not even need a resistor--depending.
Although the kit includes batteries... 2 or 3 Alkaline AA cells would do just fine for most "basic" setups (Lux III, P4).
Shipping would be less if you bought the blade tube locally--if you HAD to go "cheapy" there.
You didn't include quick disconnects--which are a good idea even for basic sabers.
I agree with you on the sound.
I agree (to a point) with you on the blade holder/mount (that one could do it from scratch)... but it's WELL WORTH buying any of the ones from TCSS. They are fantastic + "to spec"...

But I don't know. I think even my basic Li-Ion sabers are like $50... so I could build one with alkalines for $30 or $40, probably.

KuroChou
04-30-2010, 01:49 AM
Technology is a wonderful and everchanging thing.
Bill Gates himself once said 10 MegaBytes ought to be enough for anyone.
Now Industrial Light and Magic uses over a PB* at any given point in time.

I'd never suggest that MHS isn't worth every penny. I don't personally own one yet, but I absolutely believe in their quality.
Earlier had a fresh reminder --while sourcing some tube-stock and round-stock-- that piece for piece, the price is unbeatable as well.
Whenever possible, assembling your own is almost always cheaper (I.E. blades).
I stand reminded.

*PB is a PetaByte, or 1,000 TeraBytes, or 1,000,000 GigaBytes, or 1,000,000,000 MegaBytes.

Rafalema
04-30-2010, 02:46 AM
As usual, I fail again.

Im sorry.

Matt Thorn
04-30-2010, 03:59 AM
Then there's always the money vs. time/energy aspect. I could make a saber using only parts from a dollar store, but it would be a crappy saber. And I could make a quality saber without using any pre-made saber parts, and possibly do it quite cheaply, but the time and energy required (not to mention all the money, time, and energy wasted on trial and error) makes it all but pointless. I can't imagine making a saber that doesn't have several parts from TCSS. Even if I machined my own blade holder, I would be wasting time and probably money trying to find appropriate blade materials anywhere but TCSS or UltraSabers. Wannabe sabersmiths here in Japan are always asking where they can find blade materials domestically, but I've searched high and low, and I end up telling them all to just fork over the shipping charge and order from Tim. (Everyone first thinks of using acrylic tubes, which are easier to find, but I'll bet those who actually try it regret it very quickly. Acrylic is just too hard to cut and too easy to break.)

mihunai
05-01-2010, 04:47 AM
First of all, thanks for all the input.

Should help alot of people when searching for a cheap saber build.

However, things have made a full 180, it seems, to the point where he decided to just
go belt-hanger for now...

Now he feels that he doesnt 'need' one, and doesnt use it as often,
plus, he could use mine (ill soon have 4) since im pretty much the only guy he knows
thats into sabers with the swingin' and all...

So, for now it turns out to be a dud....

Thanks though, i appreciate it.

mTm