PDA

View Full Version : Exar kun saber Build suggestions.

DJMoonbass
04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
okay i am building an exar kun saber. here are my parts list.

10 inch MHS extension.
two style 1 blade holders
2 P4 blues
3.7 inch rubebr grip set with blue AV switch in center.
Re designed parks claw system. i am going to re design them and machine 2 to fit onto an MHS.

we will be using a force FX jedi soundboard on this and we want both blades to light up at the same time.

so i want your opinions on a battery pack. i know i could use a 4.8 volt nihm battery set up. and run two circuits of it, on to the board which runs 1 LED and the switch wires to the AV then the second circuit will go to the other LED and use the other prongs on the AV. since its a DPDT. then on press of the button both light up.

now do you think it would work better to go with two 186500 paralleled. so its one Li ion for each LED. each using the same switch? because mounting these would also be way easer as i could make some rings to fit over the batteries to keep them secure with small holes surrounding them to allow wire to pass through. this would also help in balance distribution as i would have one li ion on either side. it should fit okay two because the hilt section will have about 9 inches of space. this would also allow room in the center for the switch.... then i would need a way to mount the board. i was thinkin offset the battery holes on the ring mounts on one side of the saber and put the board there. then on the other side mount the speaker facing in for a central sound resonance chamber.

also either way i will be doing a recharge system on it.

so basically im asking your opinions.

im bent more on using the two 186500s or even 14500s really.

well fire away guys! :D

Rhyen Skytracker
04-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Me personally I would go with the NiMH batteries. I am not a big fan of LiIons, but that is just me.

DJMoonbass
04-08-2010, 09:52 PM
wow really? nobody but ryhen wants to share there thoughts? nobody whatsover?

okay then. go ahead and delete the thread lord maul. its wasting my time and taking up forum space.

Lord Dottore Matto
04-08-2010, 11:10 PM
I am doing an Exar Kun run later this year, have not really started to plan it out yet, sorry man. your plan sounds like it will work. One switch.

Invisas1979
04-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey DJ

Sounds like a very cool build.

The bonus of this saber is that it's all one peice so you have mounds of space for everything you need.

Personally I'd have the two blade holders you have highlighted, two two in extensions, two of the new trim rings style 2 (pc'd black), to sit between the two inch ext and a 6 in extension. Two red thumb screws to help with the look. Plus the grip strips.

P4's sounds good. I'd go for a 6v pack two by two on top of each other AA's for a bit longer run.

Switch wise, to keep it looking authentic, I'd have a more discreet switch, maybe located in the middle (like you said). DPDT good idea to turn both on.

Sound wise, I'd have a sled with the speaker towards one end and a row of holes in beteen some of the t grips to allow sound out. The length is going to resonate alot either way.

Keep us posted.

grayven
04-09-2010, 07:54 AM
I'd go with that fancy bat pack you built with the screw in it. I would just add more screws this time, you know for safty and what not. :D

Shadar Al'Niende
04-09-2010, 08:01 AM
I'd go with that fancy bat pack you built with the screw in it. I would just add more screws this time, you know for safty and what not. :D

haha, +1! been a while...good to see you Gravy.

grayven
04-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks. Yeah I've been trying to be unplugged (not that I'm all plugged up :rolleyes:) for a while. Just got out of the house more, that's all.

DJMoonbass
04-09-2010, 09:09 AM
lol i remember that. haha. but yeah i was talking to a friend of mine and we decided to go with the two li ions on either side and use some delring rings to support the two batteries. seriously i should get some monster run time with this.

hey LDM look forward to seeing your exar kun builds.

invisias i like your idea. but unfortunately since i made up my mind yesterday we allready purchased the parts. ill make a WIP in A to Z though.

Invisas1979
04-10-2010, 01:16 AM
I'd go with that fancy bat pack you built with the screw in it. I would just add more screws this time, you know for safty and what not. :D Fancy Batt pack???

Fair enough, bit late on the old reply there.

I've seen one other Kun saber, be good to see how yours turns out.

You have access to a lathe and stuff, maybe you could machine some groves into either side of the 10in ext and pc it yourself???

Good luck.

DJMoonbass
04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
ill most likely do that. i dont do powdercoating but i have some really nice metallic black spray paint. ill probably tape it off and lathe paint it. but yeah im waiting on those parks claws... i am curious to see how they are fabricated so i can make a similar design only bigger.