PDA

View Full Version : Blade mounting questions

Fasthands
04-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I didn't see any threads pertaining to anyone having issues mounting there blade to thier blade holder so I decided to make this thread. Basically I am new to saber building and decided to build a very basic direct drive saber using the guidlines in a youtube video I saw by greytale(novastar)

My biggest problem is that the blade seems to want to travel a bit when i stick in in the blade holder. Now let me clarify, I bought a 40'' blade because I didnt know how long I wanted to go. It is very heavy and the hilt is a 1.5 sink tube with a 1.5 to MHS adapter. It's very unbalanced with the blade being the heavy end. IM thinking this is the issue. Any suggestions? I dont want my blade flying out every time I got to duel! :)

Sidd
04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
You need to used a set screw to hold the blade in with pressure

Fasthands
04-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Makes sense, but maybe I missed something. The MHS blade holder that I got(I believe it was style 7) doesnt have any holes in it. Was I supposed to request it to be machined or something?

Et Kin Evenstar
04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
You could've requested it or do it yourself. You need to drill and tap the hole or have someone do it for you. And then of course you need a retention screw.

Fasthands
04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
ok, thanks! Is this common on most sabers? do they all have to be mounted this way, or do some folks go extreme and glue them in? I appreciate the info guys!

Lord Maul
04-02-2010, 02:22 PM
All sabers worth buying that are luxeon style have a retention screw. Only a few people glue them in.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Welcome to TCSS. It would help you greatly, and answer most of the questions you will have if you read the links at the bottom of Lord Maul's post.

Good luck, and MTFBWY.

Fasthands
04-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Ill do just that. I actually found a thread that shows exactly that. sorry for the noob move.

However It is MHS holder style 17 not 7 Im kinda afraid it will look ugly :\

Dark Navel
04-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Drill, tap and use a setscrew instead. Flush to the hilt, out of sight out of mind, done.

Thank you, I'll be here all week:rolleyes:

Fasthands
04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
got both actually, they both severed their purpose and both worked beautifully. thanks guys on to a few finishing touches but my first basic saber build is pretty much done!