PDA

View Full Version : Blade Choices And Help (Im New to this)

FireBlaze97
03-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi (hope that this is posted in the right place) Im new here signed up today March 31st, and I have decided to convert my 05 MR Luke Saber. iv aranged my various parts starting from the conversion kit to the lux/p4. Now im stuck with the blade choice. What do i get? there are 3 that I c in the shop that i know of.

This is what iv got so far in my list..... Iv got everything i need except a blade. Im also wondering if there is a video or anything like a live feed for someone to help me and my dad work on this. Im 16 so its not like im young, but anyway its going to be a spring break thing I wish to have everything ready by April 11th we will work on it that week.

BTW if you have any tips while working please give me them it will help me a lot.

8-32 x 1/4" socket head
Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
Seoul P4 (Green)
MR FX Luke ROTJ conversion kit
8-32 Tap & drill set
9/64" Allen wrench
Dual 18 gauge wire
3/16" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing
1/16" Heatshrink tubing
1/8" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing

Thanks,
FireBlaze97

Jay-gon Jinn
03-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Did you already order that list, or not? I'd avoid the 18 gauge wire, it's much too large for what you're going to need....just get a foot of red 26 ga. and a foot of black 26 ga. instead. You also don't need the adhesive lined heatshrink tubing...the regular type will work just fine.

I would also use either an 8-32 or 10-32 set screw in the blade holder to secure the blade, rather than the 8-32 socket head cap screw. These would have a more flush appearance on the emitter than the head of that socket cap screw. I like to use a 10-32 set screw, but that's just me. They require a 3/32" allen wrench.

For a blade, any of the ones listed in the shop will fit that blade holder. I'd recommend getting the thin-walled Corbin style show blade. Then go to a craft store like Michael's, if there's one near you, and buy a roll of 40" wide clear gift wrap. You can make a roll of about 4 - 6' of that and slide into the Corbin show blade to even it out and brighten it along it's length.

Shadar Al'Niende
03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
As a matter of fact.... Jay gon himself did a tutorial on just such a thing (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7274). He is just to modest to say so :D

FireBlaze97
03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
no i haven't bought anything yet, and thanks that helps. BTW so for the blade what it the cut length thing for it states 24-39 in? And do i need to drill holes into the blade for the set screw if so what bit should i use. Im also going to make that blade too just incase anything happens to the one im getting.

FireBlaze97
03-31-2010, 10:48 PM
sorry for double posting but,

Luxeon III/V Lens Holder <-------
For both of these do i need them because i am ordering the Seoul P4 Green?
Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle <-----

Here is the link to the project im doing,

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5728

If i do need them were do they go?

Seoul P4 (Green)
MR FX Luke ROTJ conversion kit
8-32 Tap & drill set
9/64" Allen wrench
1/16" Heatshrink tubing
26 gauge wire (Red)
26 gauge wire (Black)
8-32 x 1/8" Set screw
3/4" Thin walled Trans White PolyC 40" long (No) <--------- What is the recommended length i should have this cut to.?

Thanks again,
FireBlaze97

Lord Dottore Matto
04-01-2010, 12:17 AM
You want a 1" blade. you will not be drilling any holes in it. I hate to say it, but there is a conversion tutorial that would have showed up had you used the search function. I can see that You are very excited, so I will cut you a break with minimal scolding and provide the link for you. Please make sure, in the future that you spend some time reading the forums. What you will find is that nearly any question that you can think of is there ;)

Here is your link: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=5728

Have fun!

Jedi-Loreen
04-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Uh, he does have that tutorial link in his last post. http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/images/smiles/eyebrows.gif

It's not very specific regarding the optics, it just says not to forget them, so it's assuming someone already knows where to place them.

Which means.......
he needs to do more reading to learn what the optics are, and where they go and how they are used. :rolleyes:

And Jay, I wouldn't use the adhesive lined heat shrink either, but 2 of the 3 choices in the Store are that type. I don't know why Tim doesn't carry at least the 1/8 without the adhesive lining.

FenderBender
04-01-2010, 08:06 AM
I would also get the 10 degree instead of the 5 degree optics.

FireBlaze97
04-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh ok so you fit the Lens and Lens Holder together then you fit that over the Lux/P4 right? Ok so then after that you screw that into the MR Luke ROTJ conversion kit. ( the silver thing) Now im having trouble understanding what the LED heatsink is. Now its the Brown disk that the P4 sits on yes?

Kal El Rah
04-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, the heat sink is the brown thing, it is made of copper, hence its color.

Remember to use some type of heatsink paste or tape on the heatsink between the LED and heatsink to transfer the heat away from the LED and into the blade holder/saber body.:cool:

FireBlaze97
04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Yes, the heat sink is the brown thing, it is made of copper, hence its color.

Remember to use some type of heatsink paste or tape on the heatsink between the LED and heatsink to transfer the heat away from the LED and into the blade holder/saber body.:cool:

Oh so the heatshrink paste i put on the back of the P4 led? or elsewere? were do i get that stuff? Walmart? Or is it better to use the tape? And also here is my new list im buying it all tonight so this if final prep.

Holder Luxeon III/V Lens Holder
Coll5 Luxeon Collimator Lens 5 deg viewing angle
P4G Seoul P4 (Green)
Lukeconv MR FX Luke ROTJ conversion kit
8-32tap 8-32 Tap & drill set
1/16Heat 1/16" Heatshrink tubing
26Red 26 gauge wire (Red)
26Black 26 gauge wire (Black)
8-32set 8-32 x 1/8" Set screw
3/4PCTWThin 3/4" Thin walled Trans White PolyC 40" long (No)
5/64Allen 5/64" Allen wrench

Shadar Al'Niende
04-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh so the heatshrink paste i put on the back of the P4 led? or elsewere? were do i get that stuff? Walmart?

Heatshrink is the tubing you put over wires, paste and tape is "thermal" (i.e. Thermal Paste) you can fine either the paste (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-gram-white-thermal-compound-P443.aspx) or the tape (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Star-thermal-tape-pad-P483.aspx) here in the store (follow the links)

You will find that the store has pretty much anything you would ever need... Just look around.

Lord Dottore Matto
04-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Uh, he does have that tutorial link in his last post. http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/images/smiles/eyebrows.gif

ROFL, excuse me while I chastise myself...

"LDM you n00b, you need to read the posts you comment on, or you need to get your eyes checked since you seem to have a severe case of noseelinkinitis..." :lol:

FireBlaze97
04-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok iv made my final choices on my saber and iv ordered everything i need thanks for the help.:)

Shadar Al'Niende
04-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Good luck, cannot wait to see it finished!!! :D

FireBlaze97
04-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Ok so it's done and I have one last question and it's about the blade to my fx saber can I cut it with a bann saw or any other saw. And I got a poly c blade 3/4 in should I put that in the fx sabers old blade?

Jedi-Loreen
04-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I'd use a band saw, instead. ;)

How much do you want to cut it down? Don't make it too short.

Why do you want to put a 3/4" blade inside the FX blade? To make it stronger? I suppose you could to that, but if it fits loosely, it will rattle when you strike with it.

FireBlaze97
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
ok so i want to cut about 1 to 1/1/2 inches off maby 2 just enough to clear the holes that were left there .

FireBlaze97
04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCsDWPxJHQ0

There is the video of me creating my saber.

jeanlee411
05-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Did you already order that list, or not? I'd avoid the 18 gauge wire, it's much too large for what you're going to need....just get a foot of red 26 ga. and a foot of black 26 ga. instead. You also don't need the adhesive lined heatshrink tubing...the regular type will work just fine.

I would also use either an 8-32 or 10-32 set screw in the blade holder to secure the blade, rather than the 8-32 socket head cap screw. These would have a more flush appearance on the emitter than the head of that socket cap screw. I like to use a 10-32 set screw, but that's just me. They require a 3/32" allen wrench.

For a blade, any of the ones listed in the shop will fit that blade holder. I'd recommend getting the thin-walled Corbin style show blade. Then go to a craft store like Michael's, if there's one near you, and buy a roll of 40" wide clear gift wrap. You can make a roll of about 4 - 6' of that and slide into the Corbin show blade to even it out and brighten it along it's length.
As a matter of fact.... Jay gon himself did a tutorial on just such a thing. He is just to modest to say so

jjshumpert
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
if your going with the 3/4 blade you need the reducer http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-to-34-Reducer-P147.aspx