PDA

View Full Version : Filling unwanted holes in MHS

Sidd
03-30-2010, 06:20 AM
I have a question.

I have recently gotten some MHS parts used and the blade holder I want to use already had a hole drilling in it but its in the completely wrong spot for what i need.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to patch the whole so I can polish it and have it match the rest of the holder???

I was thinking i could plug half the hole with some JB weld and cap it off with some silver solder or or something

Darth Lars
03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
I think that the best-looking option would be to just leave it.

I think that there exists types of "plumbers putty" that is a epoxy putty with metal powder in it that you could use as filler. Then you could sand the surface smooth. The color of the metal will most likely be a bit different, but at least you could get a smooth surface.

Another, more risky option, would be to make a plug out of some aluminum bar stock that almost fits the hole. Make one end taper and jam the pointy end in there with some epoxy or JB-weld. Then use a hammer and force in further in, deforming the plug with each hammer strike before the glue has cured.
After the glue has cured, cut away some excess, but not flush. Then use a file over the surface - filing both the plug and the surface: this could make the metal fray and almost make the ring around the plug disappear. Then sand with increasingly finer sand paper and polish.
There is a high risk that you will damage your MHS part, though, and there is also a high risk that the nice surface that you started out with will be much coarser and with dents here and there. You will most likely deform it somewhat where the plug is.

Sidd
03-30-2010, 08:07 AM
I think I have an idea that might work, I can cut a small bit of screw and screw it in and then JB weld it into place. if i pull it all right it should fit pretty well

Do-Clo
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
If you thread the hole and use a aluminum screw with jb weld on the threads you will be able to sand it smooth and polish it so that it will not be that noticeable, other than that use a overlay, lol

Sidd
03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking. do i have to buy aluminum screws special order or do you think a big box hardware store will have them?

Jonitus
03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking. do i have to buy aluminum screws special order or do you think a big box hardware store will have them?

If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they sell aluminum screws under the "storm window screws and clips" name in their bins. They are 8-32 I believe, so they'd work for your needs if you can tap the hole in the blade holder.

Sidd
03-30-2010, 12:52 PM
hey there is an ACE hardware down the street from work, I am sooooooo there

Thanks Jon you rock

Sidd
04-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Update, I user Jonitus' and Do-Clo's suggestion of the screen door screw and it worked awesome.

I just glued it in with some gorilla glue and polished that bad boy and its barely visable.

Jedi-Loreen
04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Cool. :cool: Glad it worked for you. :)

Sidd
04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Cool. :cool: Glad it worked for you. :)

thanks

I will post pictures if i remember