PDA

View Full Version : How long is your saber?

Jase Kala Maris
03-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok, so I just can't get my saber under 13". Part of that is that Tim has so many awesome MHS parts and so many combos.

As of right now it's 13.5". Sometimes I look at it and it's fine... Sometimes I look at it and it's way too long. I know it's all in the eye of the beholder but I'm curious how long is yours?

and NO Saber Envy Jokes!!!

Crystal Chambers
03-26-2010, 10:08 AM
lol...so far mine range from 11" to 14" including overlays or forks. Since my hand is usually the same distance from the bottom of visible blade, roughly 4", I have 32" blades. This way I can twirl and change stances without any concern of hitting ground.

Caine Drathul
03-26-2010, 10:23 AM
That's something that I usually wait to tell someone after I have known them for a little while... :rolleyes:

I am most comfortable with a hilt that is between 11-12", and my blade is 34", so 32" sticks out of the blade holder.

I would say that one's height is a factor...do you plan on doing mainly single handed or double handed techniques, etc

Jase Kala Maris
03-26-2010, 10:28 AM
I choke up on it. buttons and so forth are on the bottom - and I'm tall 6'0" so even with a 36" blade I really don't hit the ground much at all, the ceiling on the other hand has about 20 divits lol!

Honestly I'm worried about the tail end of the hilt hitting my body or the inside of my forearm doing certain spins. I'm sure I can just adjust my technic.

I'd love to see more extensions around 2" just to add some details.

I have one 3" Flutted Dbl Female part I might just just switch out to a Plain 2" part to cut the length alittle... I just love all the details on the different parts it so hard to give up something.

13.5 does seem towards the long side.

I'm a single handed spinner, so I don't need the length, though it should help with hand transfers.

12 inches seems the perfect length, it's funny how 1.5-2inches (15%) make such a huge difference.

I haven't added the sleeve pieces yet, they wont add to the length but add alittle thickness so maybe it will seem more proportionate. Didn't want to start the dremeling until I iron out the final set up and all.

Crystal Chambers
03-26-2010, 10:32 AM
For single hand it may be a little long. I find anything over 12 is more two handed style. I consider 10-12 to be more for 1 to 1 and half hand grip. but then I tend to have longer emitters or forks.

Caine Drathul
03-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I choke up on it. buttons and so forth are on the bottom - and I'm tall 6'0" so even with a 36" blade I really don't hit the ground much at all, the ceiling on the other hand has about 20 divits lol!

Honestly I'm worried about the tail end of the hilt hitting my body or the inside of my forearm doing certain spins. I'm sure I can just adjust my technic.

I'd love to see more extensions around 2" just to add some details.

I have one 3" Flutted Dbl Female part I might just just switch out to a Plain 2" part to cut the length alittle... I just love all the details on the different parts it so hard to give up something.

13.5 does seem towards the long side.

If you are 6' I would say maybe...although I have seen peeps with 14-16" sabers (of course their focus was double handed techniques, using their saber much like a traditional sword and no spins)....traditional sabers I would say would be between 11 and 12 inches since they are easier to wield with both one or two hands, and spinning/hand switching usually isn't a problem.

Shadar Al'Niende
03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I would personally say nothing over 13"

FenderBender
03-26-2010, 01:29 PM
I try to never go over 12". Personally I like 10-11". It's a saber, not an ICBM.

Cantina Chef
03-26-2010, 01:47 PM
10-11 is ideal for me too.

Sairon
03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I try to have sabers longer then ten inches, but that means of hand space. My personal saber is arount thirteen but will only have about ten inches of hand space.

Kal El Rah
03-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Mine is 13" , its the one in my sig, fits my hands and style very well.:cool:

Enolmano
03-26-2010, 04:07 PM
I have two sabers and duel with both. Each saber consists of
-pommel
-main body
-choke
-blade holder
witch makes them 12". Thats pretty much my maximum length if I am to comfortable dueling with them... And I like to keep the blade pretty short. My rule of thumb is that if you can't hold the saber in your hand and point it straight to the ground without touching, it's to long.
In real life, the saber lengths used in the movies are far to long, I think.

Jase Kala Maris
03-26-2010, 04:53 PM
And I like to keep the blade pretty short. My rule of thumb is that if you can't hold the saber in your hand and point it straight to the ground without touching, it's to long.

I tended to agree with that but I realised that I never really straight arm down unless I'm like poseing and even then I'm holding it slightly out and away. My elbow is always slightly bent no matter what I seem to be doing. Also I don't believe reach is everything in a sword fight but it IS alot! I'd prolly go shorter if I was dueling with two sabers 24-28 inches.

How long were they in the movies again?

"10 inches of hand space..."

is a huge thing to consider when styleing because I do have certain MHS parts that you can't really hold onto while spinning (geared section) and the pommel and emitter sections are outta of question so when I place both my hands on the saber they cover every part that's "useable".

I was going to take a pick and show you guys but I don't want to reveal until it's complete ;)

Count Malik
03-26-2010, 06:43 PM
12-13 inches... seems to feel right during dueling to me...:cool: and im 15 lol:p

Goltar Bias
03-26-2010, 08:25 PM
The ones I have made range from about 9" to almost 20" it just depends on the design I feel like doing.

Invisas1979
03-27-2010, 02:13 AM
I think it depends on the saber itself and how you have developed and on how you indent to use it.

The hilts on my curved sabers are 14in long and are not designed to be doublehanded weapons. They are duel weapons. Toying with them I feel they are stab and parry weapons as opposed to cutting/slashing. Not ideal for any kind of spinning unless attached using the disconnect.

The Mauls are about 11in and singularly make for good two handed spins and the lenght seems better for cutting/slashing movements as well as blocking.

My other saber is about 11-12in and could be used single or double handed. Good for stabbing/cutting/slashing/parry and blocking. More of an all round saber lenght.

My last one has a choke slap bang in the middle, is brilliant for spinning and can be used single handed or double handed. This one is around 13.5in long.

So it varies. I like to think that different sizes of hilt will be better for different styles of attack or defence.

That said I'm not like caine or nova who have saber experiance.

Vlad Doon
03-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, well, my friends, I think you are all missing the point. The longer is your hilt the easier your oponent can cut it with his blade...

More seriously, I know its hard to make them short (for many reasons), but you must think of it in the case you hang it on your belt. You'd better be tall to have a 14". IMHO, a 11" up to 12" is a good dimension.

Jase Kala Maris
03-27-2010, 03:14 PM
I think 12" is about the best also. When I got my first Anakin MR saber in the mail I couldn't believe how huge it was and also I can't tell you how many times I cut my hand on the damn activation boxes sharp corners. Also it was so thick especially with those hard plastic grips. I know it was a movie prop and not made for spinning but man was it awkward. I was so happy the first time I gripped a MHS from TCSS. much better shape! I think I found a better way to do my design waiting on the last of my parts to check it out. I should keep it around 12.5 I'm hopeing.

sithlordfaust
03-28-2010, 01:07 PM
all my personal sabers up till my latest one are 11" from tip of bladeholder to the beginning of the pommel. then my pommels are all 3"long :shock:
so theyre all 14". my latest was a couple of inches shorter.

for me when designing, length can depend on what combination of parts Im using
that will give counterbalance to the blade.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-28-2010, 01:18 PM
most of the sabers I build are between 11 and 12 inches in length. I have built a few that were longer though, to either accommodate the electronics decided upon, or because the person that I built it for wanted it longer.

cardcollector
03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I like a saber 10-12" long.

I have big hands and fight 2 handed, anything longer than 12" seems bulky and awkward to me.

Orthus
03-28-2010, 10:07 PM
My sink tube saber
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=676&page=13
is 15 1/2", but the top bezel is removable. It's 12 1/2 without the bezel. The overall length with the long blade (my son uses a shorter blade) is 45 1/2". I'm 6'3", so it works for me either one- or two-handed. The second saber is 12", but without the blade guard, it's about 10 1/2".

Jase Kala Maris
03-31-2010, 03:58 PM
I finnally got a setup that works to my likeing. I got the last parts in the mail from Tim today, screwed it all together and it blew me away 11.75" looks great. I'm very happy, seems to be the perfect length for me. I had planned on dremeling a fancy shroud for this but now that I see all the MHS together I'm kinda not wanting to cover anything up lol!

Thanks for at the input guys!