PDA

View Full Version : NSCFCD#3 -- Holy Crystal Focus v5, I'm gonna DO this?!?! :)

Novastar
03-24-2010, 03:31 AM
[[Initial post here will get edited later with updates]]

Well, I'm not going to make any guarantees... and it's of course even a subject of much debate if we *NEED* any MORE sound fonts, lol... but... let's see...

Might be a DVD! But we'll call it "CD#3" for now... :)

CD#3 = lots of new content... but also extra content to support the other ~40 fonts from CD#1 and CD#2. In other words...

NEW POWERON/OFFS -- CFV5 is supporting some additional powerons (and a singular additional poweroff I think), soooo... of course I'm mixing some new ones for the fonts as best I can. Plan is to essentially have 3 new powerons (+1 p-off) for ~ALL~ fonts from ~BOTH~ CDs on the CD#3... and of course: the same for the NEW fonts on CD#3. Yeesh. Is that confusing or what?!?!? hahahahah... :)

ADDITIONAL/ALTERNATE SOUNDS -- I've been messing around with old lockup sounds and certain "blaster" ones and such, and with any luck, there will be a whole throng of stuff to choose from for as many fonts as I can re-mix, tweak and generally "add stuff" for everyone. So... like... alternate swings that may have come from font X... will now be there for font Y (although don't expect every sound set 'ported' to EVERY font, lol... that would be a bloody NIGHTMARE x 1138 + 1138 to the power of 1138--not kidding).

Sure, some of this kind of stuff YOU can do on your own (hopefully my tutorials helped)... but, hey... you might find new stuff ya like!

V5 CONFIGURATIONS -- These are going to be quite a new animal, so I'll try to cook up something that still makes it "easy to choose" something that is matching the font type you are doing the configs for. Depending on what Erv does... this might not be a big deal! :)

FONTS LOOKING LIKE THEY'LL BE THERE (still no promises, since I never like to say until it's 100% true):

-- Yoda style font (I hope I can make it 'distinct'!!)
-- Gundam style font
-- TRON style font
-- Video Game font (was also carried over from not making it to CD2)
-- Knight Rider style font
-- Elemental Earth (FINALLY, lol... was supposed to be in CD1... then CD2, lol)
-- Crystalline Workshop (this will be a special type of font, not really at all the same as the one Madcow made, but certainly a more 'obscure' showpiece font)

Fonts I don't plan to reveal quite yet, but will generalize:

-- Martial Arts style font (we'll call it "A")
-- Martial Arts style font (we'll call it "B")
-- Sword/Saber type font A
-- Sword/Saber type font B
-- Sword/Saber type font C
-- more to come, hopefully... :)

Guest fonts:

-- None confirmed yet, although I have someone in mind who has made some AWESOMELY cool fonts, one of which is just simply stellar... way better than most any of my fonts (IMHO)... :)

That's it for now...

Alcfalath
03-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Well, I'm not going to make any guarantees... and it's of course even a subject of much debate if we *NEED* any MORE sound fonts, lol... but... let's see...

Sooo... thats a yes then Nova? ;)

Sure... we dont "NEED" more soundfonts... but doesnt mean they arent wanted/coveted? :D How about some Blastercore fonts too if you get bored? Say, some Halo ones (soundcaps easy, plus the Spartan Laser... :D).

sithlordfaust
03-24-2010, 10:35 PM
its like saying we dont "NEED" v5 of CF

Count Malik
03-25-2010, 05:04 PM
awsome nova! exciting none the less :cool:

Novastar
09-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Just some updates... now that I've got a little bit more "inspiration" lately to bust out the sweat/work on the Compendium 3...

* 90% finished with my "spotlight" font for the CD (basically, the "Rain Sizzle" of CD 3--in other words, the highlight/best one I think)
* 90% finished with a special EP IV font... not just re-mastered or anything--you guys will see...
* 90% finished with a special EP V font... " " " " "
* Actually working on a font for LDM (Grievous), so... ya never know... it could make it on there! Not sure...
* Going really well with a unique darkside font that is pretty fun and evil... I don't want to reveal it for now, but it should definitely be a good one if all goes well. So far, I like what I have, and it will make sense once I reveal it...
* Great stuff for a non-saber font... I can't WAIT to reveal THIS one!! :) It should be a great surprise--a font that people will say "now why didn't we do THAT before??!?" :)
* Another non-saber font... but something Gravy will like! Hint, hint, lmao...
* Gundam fighter font going well... although I'll be honest--I don't "know" that genre well. So I'm not always sure what sound goes where. Hope I do it well enough!!
* No work yet on the Transformers font... :( But soon, I hope...
* No real work yet on the Video Game font... that is a tough one to decide what to use and what not to use...

* The "Yoda" font is not going as well as I'd hoped... it suffers the same consequences as my previous troubles with the "EP II re-mastered" font, in that the screen-accurate hum has a VERY WEIRD RESONANCE inside a saber. I personally think all the evidence/testing (even from the EP II re-M days) is pointing toward the fact that these particular frequencies are very near to or equal to the resonant frequency/length of the inner diameter of most sabers (*WHEW*)... causing reverberation that is literally a horrid thing... :(

In a simpler explanation... you guys know that "thing" you can do in the bathroom when you "hum just right" and your ears and the sound gets all weird??! It's THAT. Yes, that's right--the same phenomenon. Any way you slice it... it proves BAD for sound... :(

I guess the alternative is to attempt a different hum... BUT... that's really what makes Yoda's sounds "special" to some extent. Otherwise (much with many of the other characters)... it's a clash from movie X and Y... and swings from movie A & B, etc.

Well there ya go. Let's hope I can even get it DONE by the time CFv5 gets released??!?! No promises though. I'll revert back to the old school Duke Nukem game quote:

"Comin'... ... ... when it's READY! (tm)" lol

Crystal Chambers
09-02-2010, 05:35 PM
That's great...although I know it would be difficult I wish you could select your own combo of sound fonts..like as a download instead of buying a whole CD. Maybe pay to download individual fonts.

Skottsaber
09-03-2010, 06:22 AM
I don't know if they differ at all, but what about the ROTS Yoda hum?

Novastar
09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't know if they differ at all, but what about the ROTS Yoda hum?Good point, I'll have to check it, although I believe SOMEtimes Yoda's hum sound... is... well sorta "normal"/standard, lol.

At any rate, it's always worth looking into. :)

As to your comment, Crystal Chambers... at PRESENT, I don't have the time and capacity to get that set up, and the concept/idea has been brought up several times before. I'll mention a few of the (unfortunately) major issues:

* Again, it's a TON of extra work to do all the website work (or hire it out since I'm no good with it)... and make sure that piracy is at a minimum (nearly impossible to do... ... even ALREADY!)

* The Compendiums aren't "simply" sound banks. They include a MULTITUDE of other things on them, such as videos, text files, and even graphic files.

* In the first two Compendiums, there were folders for ~EVERY~ version of CF, going back to even "low-level" support for v1.2 (even though I originally said I wouldn't)... it would be an exercise in INSANITY for me to make special downloads for every version of CF... for EVERY font. It would be ludicrous.

* I've spent a lot of time mixing and making and building and creating here. I will freely admit it: I'm an artist. You sort of have to pay for that a little bit. Otherwise I'm just working for free, and that isn't fair to ANYONE out there doing actual work + offering skills/products.

* In the end--everyone would nickel and dime it, asking font X to be $1.00, but another to be $0.50 or something. "Because it's that way on iTunes". Sadly, I'm not Steve Jobs with a billion dollars + thousands of employees and a corner on the market of the world. I'm just one guy.

Yup! It's just me, your friendly, neighborhood Novastar... :lol:

Darth Xusia
09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Nova, is there any way you could have the sounds separate on the next cd/dvd? What I mean is, to have let's say, the lockup from EP IV but with no EP IV hum, so it could be used with Rainsizzle? Is that possible?

Crystal Chambers
09-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Just copy the lock up to replace the one in the rainsizzle folder. I must be missing something because that seems too simple. Must be that the hum is mixed in with the clash in the wave file as apposed to being mixed by the CF. Yeah just checked.

I totally understand Nova. After buying a CF pinching pennies over sound fonts seem contradictive. The reason I said that was I'd rather pay more per font to get only the ones I want, but I can see why a sabersmith who builds for clients would want all of them. Plus a download is more environmentally conscious and convenient. I don't mean to argue just stating my reasoning.

sithlordfaust
09-03-2010, 09:38 AM
there isnt anything stopping you from taking elements from different fonts to compile your own. however... each fonts clash and swing sounds are mixed with the specific fonts hum sound

Crystal Chambers
09-03-2010, 09:47 AM
So currently you could change the lockup in your font folder but your sizzle would turn to a regular hum on lockup. Because the CF triggers fonts this way you'd have to make your own personal lockup.

sekrogue1985
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm so gonna buy this ahahaha. can't wait to see what you've gotten done.

now i have motivation to complete my samurai font. it's been a project for this entire year. there is too much stuff i want to do with it but never can get it down to something i'd like to use or share....

Darth Xusia
09-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Just copy the lock up to replace the one in the rainsizzle folder. I must be missing something because that seems too simple. Must be that the hum is mixed in with the clash in the wave file as apposed to being mixed by the CF. Yeah just checked.

there isnt anything stopping you from taking elements from different fonts to compile your own. however... each fonts clash and swing sounds are mixed with the specific fonts hum sound

So currently you could change the lockup in your font folder but your sizzle would turn to a regular hum on lockup. Because the CF triggers fonts this way you'd have to make your own personal lockup.

With the hum sound mixed in already, I would have 2 hum sounds (the original one mixed with the clash/swing/lockup/etc...) plus the hum of the font that I wanna use. Any chance of getting them separately or is that out of the question?

sithlordfaust
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Just some updates... I'll revert back to the old school Duke Nukem game quote:

"Comin'... ... ... when it's READY! (tm)" lol,

http://kotaku.com/5629782/duke-nukem-forever-impressions-two-girls-one-duke,

/threadjack

infa008
09-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Just had my kids watching WALL-E. Full of cool sounds. I would have to get my hands on the buttered toast to even know how to go about it.

Novastar
09-03-2010, 08:04 PM
hahhahahahahaha god I love that. :) I mean... it's SAD that DNF was never released... but it's like my favorite joke of all time now when telling people about release dates. :D

Rest assured, NO the Compendium #3 will *NOT* suffer the doomsday fate that DNF did. De-railing a bit... if ya DON'T know what the heck the story was on Duke Nukem Forever, go Google it--it's pretty funny + legendary in the gaming industry, hahah...

Regarding "Wall-E"... guess who did the sounds for that film? None other than... *drumroll* Ben Burtt! :)

Back on topic... uh, regarding having "lockup sound from font X" and then someone wanting to place that sound into font Y... I don't see the point. If you want to make your own fonts--by all means, go for it! :) I made some videos to explain just a little bit of the basics on CD#1, so... there ya go, you can make stuff to your own liking!

Novastar
09-12-2010, 06:06 AM
UPDATE:

Ok... five fonts are already 100% completed!

Thus far, these are 3 "SW" style fonts... 1 "Special SW" style font... and 1 unique/non-SW style font.

As usual, I won't completely ruin the surprises on this upcoming compendium, but there are some new ideas going on in here, for certain. I'm excited to test some of these out more thoroughly tomorrow, and with any luck I'll get another 3-4 fonts completely by EOW.

No idea on the total amount of 100% new fonts going onto the CD, but I'm also thinking to re-release a few of the "classics" as .WAV too. This is (of course) just to support CFv5 in an "easier" fashion as well. Don't ask for me to put every single font from CD1 & 2 onto this one... it would be ridiculous and just drive up the price.

Not sure about any guest fonts this time around neither, as I haven't even addressed it... but feel free to PM me with ideas/thoughts--I'm always game.

Rafalema
09-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Sounds awesome..

Might be interested, just bought the V5..

Novastar
09-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Quick update(s)... good stuff is happening!! A bunch of new fonts that I didn't "know" I was going to do are coming out of my bloody imagination, lol...

Mostly, these are fonts that I've been "stuck" on in the past, and somehow, the inspiration/mixing/building process is opening up the right doors I guess... so stay tuned!

Thus far, I "see":

* at least 13 fonts on my plate...
* 6 or 7 of which are 95% or 100% done
* 4 or 5 of which are 25% done
* a few of which only have bare-bones work done on them

If I'm lucky, I'll be able to "boost it up" to a total of 15 or 16... and if any guest fonts get on there, great!! So, again--we'll probably have yet another CD of almost 20-ish fonts.

BUNDLES: I'll probably do *SOMETHING* with this again. Someone e-mailed/messaged me and mentioned it, and... you know what? I hadn't even thought about it. Duh.

I think it makes sense that if someone wants all three CDs... there ya go... bundle.
I think it makes sense that if someone wants CD 2 & Compendium 3... there ya go... bundle.
I'm not sure about going for a CD1 + Compendium 3 though... it seems a bit weird to bother...

If someday I have some kind of "cart" system, I'll get that figured out... but... I don't know.

Novastar
10-02-2010, 04:53 PM
More updates... (originally posted on FX-Sabers, just in case you've already seen that)
---------------------------------

ALRIGHT! :D

I'm pretty far ahead of schedule, so I wanted to let everyone know at least some fun hints as to what's comin' soon...

---------------------------------------------------

* 12 fonts of my own are finished (plan is to at least do 14 total of my own)
* Already 2 guest fonts confirmed... more about those guys & their awesome work soon!
* Release can most certainly be confirmed for October (not sure what specific day yet), but... yup, it's for sure!

FONT "HINTS":

~ "Special" Episode II font... and no, it's not the horrible re-mastered one I did on CD2, hahahh... this one is actually GOOD!
~ "Special" Episode IV font... only hint I'll give is that it has to do with Luke & Ben
~ "Special" Episode V font... only hint I'll give is that is has to do with Luke & it's not about Cloud City or "vs. Vader"
~ Darkside font... only hint I'll give is that it's not Darth Maul, nor is it Sidious (well, besides, EP I from CD1 was basically my Darth Maul font anyhow, hahahah...)
~ Darkside font... only hint I'll give is that it's inspired by a female
~ Three new "elemental" fonts
~ Two movie/film/cartoon inspired fonts (at least 2 for SURE--might be more, hard to say)
~ New Fire Sword font...
~ New Whip font...
~ New "martial combat" style font...
~ Special "Crystalline Workshop" font... a font that Michael Murphy (Yoda) and I had been discussing/working on since CD2 was released back in Oct. 2009. Similar in concept to the one Madcow released, but extremely different in implementation! You'll have to hear it for yourself to understand! It's one of my favorites from Compendium 3, that's sure...
~ Special "Black Lightsaber" style font...

EXTRAS

* Obviously, some guest fonts already! Maybe more will be there... IDK... that's up to if people want to do so! I'm not forcing you of course, it's just--people are ~welcome~ to do so. You just gotta say so. I won't be mad or whatever if you DON'T though, lol

* CFv5 support for older fonts (not sure yet precisely which fonts I'll put on there, but things like "Novastar", "Blackstar", "Ancient Saber" and so forth will certainly show up there!)

* Extra poweron/off sounds for several of the fonts (although--I won't lie--I may NOT end up mixing new powerons/offs for EVERY singular font from CD1&2 + CD3... that might be the death of me, lol)

* Probably Erviana Jones I, II & III is going on there... if they fit!

* I ~might~ (read: ****MIGHT****) include the "half complete" audio track that was meant for BOP III... (!!!!) ... I mean... it's been so bloody long, and the project seems as though it might not get performed live or otherwise, so... yeah, if you're reading this--feel free to tell me what you think. Like, would that "spoil" the fun if I ever DID release it?? That is, since you'd already know a good amount of what's going on?? Also, it's not complete nor 100% "polished". Some sounds are just "wrong" and/or placeholders... .... ... anyhow--your opinions on this are welcomed.

---------------------------------------------------

Well there ya have it! I'll "truly identify" the fonts soon enough, when I post to my own website with full descriptions, font names and all that jazz + release the announcement video.

THANKS for your patience on this!! To be honest... I didn't think I'd get "inspired" enough to really "go for it" and work hard to have CD#3 completed so soon. Much thanks to Watto (RSLJ) regarding this--more on that later... but yeah, this time around, I actually ENJOYED the work quite a bit more, lol! Last time... it was getting a bit mundane, tedious and a bit of drudgery for me...

...who knows... maybe the visit to France helped clear my head! hahahahah PROBABLEMENT OUI!!!!

--Novastar

sekrogue1985
10-03-2010, 12:04 PM
epic score! I can't wait! do you possible have a estimate when it'll be available??

"Special" Episode V font... only hint I'll give is that is has to do with Luke & it's not about Cloud City or "vs. Vader" - wampa stompa time???

mongo
10-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Cant wait bro,sounds like this one gonna be sweet.
I got a few more fonts my self ill shoot em over ,maybe they could fill cd space at the end;-)

Jedi Ranger
10-03-2010, 10:40 PM
This latest project is sounding sweet! And I'd probably FINALLY get these discs, if I could EVER get a CF. I think I've pretty much written this possibility off after 4 years of trying.

sekrogue1985
10-04-2010, 06:56 AM
This latest project is sounding sweet! And I'd probably FINALLY get these discs, if I could EVER get a CF. I think I've pretty much written this possibility off after 4 years of trying.

Y not just gett them anyway just so u don't have to wait for them if and when u get a CF. it'll also maybe get u motivated to make your own font.

Novastar
10-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Sek... well, it's true that I probably WILL do some "deals" with the CDs again... and there will likely be "bundles" too with any upcoming CF. More on that later of course...

UPDATES:

* Added support for v5 configs, regarding latching n/o, latching n/c, momentary, and a combination of "1A", "1.5A" and "2.0A" for the LED settings (basically 47, 70 and 93, respectively).

* Added a new "Halloween"-ish font... just in time for the holidays! I hope to have the CDs ready & shipped (if ordered) prior to Halloween...

* Completed most of the secondary/tertiary, etc. "poweron" sound work. Special thanks to Matthew on this one (Darth Xusia... not ME Matthew! lol)

* A few more guest fonts are confirmed, and we'll probably have "Hero" from MadCow if all goes well!

* Darthsteve on FX was asking about "Ghostbusters". G-Busters will actually be there! :) Font is already done, heheh...

* Although I wasn't initially going to have a "Yoda" font... I *MIGHT* be able to swing it. We'll see!

That's all for now!! More very soon! I hope to get the webpages up this week... I hope... :P

EDIT/SMALL UPDATE:

* Yoda font = DONE! :)

I'm not sure yet if I'll do a version that has some "Yoda quotes" embedded in there... we'll see, but... I'd really like to! I think that would give things some character (duh), and if I make 2 versions (I've done that on a few fonts already), people could pick and choose sounds that... (*ahem*)... DO OR DO NOT have the quotes, depending on their POINT OF VIEW...

... ***GRRRROOOAAAAN*** lol ;D

Novastar
10-15-2010, 03:48 AM
FINALLY DONE!!

*whew*

My lordy lordy lordy it took throngs of work to get THAT all squared away, lol... :)

Anyhow... hope you guys enjoy! This time around... it was a LOT more fun to build (still work too, but I was pretty "miserable" making the 2nd one--don't know why)... and I'm excited to see/hear people's reactions to the new fonts on CD3...

Have a great weekend everyone... and hey, hope I finished the CD3 in time for your Halloween fun!!!

<--- goes to collapse for like 3 days of straight sleep, hahahah

sekrogue1985
10-15-2010, 06:00 AM
FINALLY DONE!!

*whew*

My lordy lordy lordy it took throngs of work to get THAT all squared away, lol... :)

Anyhow... hope you guys enjoy! This time around... it was a LOT more fun to build (still work too, but I was pretty "miserable" making the 2nd one--don't know why)... and I'm excited to see/hear people's reactions to the new fonts on CD3...

Have a great weekend everyone... and hey, hope I finished the CD3 in time for your Halloween fun!!!

<--- goes to collapse for like 3 days of straight sleep, hahahah

you better cause cause IDK...it'd be awsome!

equinox13
10-15-2010, 07:41 AM
i may have to get your CDs just on the principal of it all...

sekrogue1985
10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
just got the email that it is available! and what do i do buy it!!!!!!!!!

can't wait to get it!

Novastar
10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi Sek, well... as this is TCSS, I don't want to post links to sites for other products (even my own), but you can most certainly find what you're looking for using the links at the end of my signatures on either FX-Sabers or elsewhere.

That being said, I want to extend my appreciation to Tim (TCSS) for allowing me to have CF-related stuff goin' on, hehehe. After all... CF is not exactly a TCSS product, but he's cool enough to know that we're out here trying to benefit the saber/"Luxeon" community... sooo... THANKS!

sekrogue1985
10-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi Sek, well... as this is TCSS, I don't want to post links to sites for other products (even my own), but you can most certainly find what you're looking for using the links at the end of my signatures on either FX-Sabers or elsewhere.

That being said, I want to extend my appreciation to Tim (TCSS) for allowing me to have CF-related stuff goin' on, hehehe. After all... CF is not exactly a TCSS product, but he's cool enough to know that we're out here trying to benefit the saber/"Luxeon" community... sooo... THANKS!

that is true and i thank tim too for letting you do so! Heck I wouldn't have even discovered what any of this if I hadn't just randomly popped in one day.