PDA

View Full Version : Transistor Question

P137R0
03-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Is it possible to create the scrolling effect of the MR soundboard with only transistors?

If so how will I wire the transistors to the led, switch, resistors and battery pack.

It sounds very complex so I might end up having to make my own PCB to I won't have the nightmare of all the wires and such...

any and all help/criticism is appriciated!
Thanks.

Jedi-Loreen
03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Are you talking about getting a scrolling effect with a single LED? Or with an LED "ladder" type of arrangement like with the FX blades?

P137R0
03-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Ladder led type, of course. There is no way to have a scrolling effect with the Led Stars...( although i've seen someone make up a magnet system i think, that created that effect but i'd didn't look right to me..)

Skottsaber
03-16-2010, 09:35 AM
You can get a laddering effect with a single LED, that is why we have LED Drivers and such. By slowly increasing the intensity of the light, it seems to crawl up the diffuser depending on how much it can illuminate as it brightens.

To ladder an LED string blade, a force FX board will suffice well, with good sounds included. If you are really intent on not having sounds, but only effects as some people have been, just don't wire in a speaker. ;)

P137R0
03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I know that i can wire an FX board w/out the speaker.

I found out that is way cheaper to make your own PCB, if you know what, where and how to wire everything you need.

The MRFX and HFX sabers illuminate their led ladder by 6 sections, which is pretty good.

I don't know much about electronics, i am only 15 and very curious about all of this.
But from what I have read the transistors act like an on/off switch. The FX board has 7 transistors (6 for the leds + 1 for the sound).

in my head the more transistor the better the effect... but, i still need to know
>what type of transistors are needed
>how much power will i need for them
>how much power will i lose with them
>is it really the resistors that create the scrolling effect

i know that most, if not everyone here knows alot more than than I do about this so please don't crucify me if my thoughts are ridiculously wrong :D

Skottsaber
03-16-2010, 10:42 AM
OK. Well apart from what I suggested, I don't know. I seem to remember there was a tutorial on instructables on how to make an LED string blade w/driver. I remember it has at least 1 Integrated Circuit (i.e LOADS of Transistors)

TroyO
03-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Try looking up tutorials for 555 Timer circuits.

It's a basic building clock for a lot of digital and quasi-digital circuits.

Transistors are not on/off only, they amplify a signal. they are often used as on/off but they are analog.

Anyway, 555 timers are a good start, and I think maybe a staged circuit like that may be called a "Cascaded array" but it's been a while, LOL.

P137R0
03-16-2010, 03:26 PM
after looking up those 555 timers, i figured theres a lot more to wire than transistors.

So my question now is what will gradually light up a led array then gradually turn it off creating the scrolling effect,

I saw that a 4017 Counter might create the scrolling effect but I'm not entirely sure.

What Decade Counter would give me the full scrolling effect, lighting up and powering down?

P137R0
03-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Never mind.. i found out how to make everything! :D

for those who are instrested google search picaxe!

TroyO
03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Ohh, if you are in to using a microcontroller, check out the Arduino as well. ( www.arduino.cc ).

I have found it to be pretty darn easy to use. (Well, you know...easy for what it is, LOL.)