PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite types of hilts?

Crystal Chambers
03-11-2010, 05:53 AM
I've had this discussion in the shoutbox before regarding personnal preference in hilt design. I'm curious to know which is more popular, and it would be great to have a thread where everyone can discuss the more esthetic side of overall hilt design.

I should clarify categories maybe. At least by my understanding. I can appreciate all types so forgive me if I make one sound less important then another. Please tell us about what defines a style to you and where you draw the line as well.

Movie replica...........screen accurate as possible, or EU based.
Simple tool............it holds your blade, LED, has some kind of grip and something that adds a little character while appearing to be more about function.
More elaborate.....Style becomes a little more important and the use of overlays, colour, and accent LEDs more for look then just appearing to have a function.
Ornate.................getting really fancy. So fancy you don't want to remove it from a display case. I can't say I've seen many like this.
Theme..................Inspired by things outside of SW like Batman, Spiderman...etc.

I'll start I guess....I have an appreciation for all types of hilts, yet I find I tend to prefer more elaborate ones. Not so elaborate that they look too decorative though. This is where I feel it might be getting too ornate which would be nice but not my usual preference. I have mixed feeling about crystal chambers (lol). I do like some replicas and would like to add Luke ANH and ROTJ to my collection eventually. I'm normally not into theme sabers yet I do have one I'd like to do.

cardcollector
03-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Well, It depends on what the use is for...

Like, I love simple saber built for dueling...

but I also like sabers made for display...

What I don`t like is a saber made for display and then beating the heck out of it...

Crystal Chambers
03-11-2010, 06:32 AM
Well, It depends on what the use is for...

Like, I love simple saber built for dueling...

but I also like sabers made for display...

What I don`t like is a saber made for display and then beating the heck out of it...

This is where I'd go for a little "light dueling". When it's time to really bring it on then it's time to whip out the stunt. I can't say that I would make a saber for display only but that might change.

Oh I should add I have a stunt that's starting to get on the elaborate side that I like to duel with. Because of the style of this one I don't mind a little real world weathering.

ARKM
03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
For awhile I was more into the Simple Tool variety but now I'm really diggin' the More Elaborate kind.

Cantina Chef
03-11-2010, 02:02 PM
I love display sabers. But i've only been building dueling sabers. They are pretty but also funcional. Hands down this has been my favorite design to duel with. it just fits so perfectly in my had when dueling and twirling

Et Kin Evenstar
03-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Where might one view pics of these so called "theme sabers?" Various searches result in nada for moi. I actually have a theme plan in mind for a future project and would love to see what others might have done.

Crystal Chambers
03-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I've seen a few here but the only one I remember off hand is the darknight. Totally batman inspired. There was an X-men one as well but it was more subtle.

Goltar Bias
03-11-2010, 07:03 PM
I would have to save that while i apreciate simple designs i prefer the more elaborate desings because of the presonalizeing of the saber and even in the movies no two weilders had the same saber.

cannibal869
03-11-2010, 07:24 PM
So I'm a little confused...
I've seen a bunch of REALLY elaborate sabers recently - i.e. metal piping and details on the hilt up the wazoo... I would call these ornate probable display sabers.

But the majority of sabers posted here I would probably say could be used for everyday dueling. i.e. those that use the MR soundboard, Ultrasound, Hasbro econoboard, etc are probably built to withstand most of the rigors of dueling. The MHS system is pretty rugged... Granted you might have to repaint or powdercoat some of the pieces again every now and then if you really wail on them... I don't think too many of the MHS pieces can be bent of broken easily, but I could be wrong.

The only soundboard I might have a second thought about is the CF since they're so rare, expensive, and awesome. But depending on construction, these can also be plenty durable for dueling.

I guess what I'm saying is - do you guys really just have pure display sabers? I dunno about the rest of you, but I always build my sabers with the intent to make them durable enough for dueling, even the ones with crystal chambers and such.

As for preference in design, I picked more elaborate. I love the shroud stuff that I see a bunch of the sabersmiths here making and we always see sabers with plenty of blinkies and bling esp coming from people like FenderBender, DoClo, and others.

Crimsonjedi
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Where might one view pics of these so called "theme sabers?" Various searches result in nada for moi. I actually have a theme plan in mind for a future project and would love to see what others might have done.

I am one AV switch away from finishing my Green Lantern saber.

Et Kin Evenstar
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
I am one AV switch away from finishing my Green Lantern saber.

THAT is what I'm planning!! ;-)

Found out a couple weeks ago something my company publishes is going to be in the GL movie being made. Inspired me to think of combining my newest childish hobby (sabers) with one of my oldest (comics). I'm a total geek.

Curious to see yours when it is done. Perhaps we can start a Green Lantern Jedi Corps group? :-)

Treadingwolf
03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I like the more elaborate designs myself, and my first personal saber Organic #1 has become a display only piece after i had to repaint it once.

Crystal Chambers
03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
I really find it fascinating where one draws the line on how to label a saber style, what's for display only verses duelable, etc. To me what I referred to as more elaborate is quite a wide category that could be stunt or have sound and even a crystal chamber.

I think a saber would have to be pretty fragile for me not to at least light duel with it. I have a US 2.5 that I'm trying to make a secure enough sled for light dueling. I had it working and then made some changes with accent LED placement that compromised it's stability so it's back to the drawing board and worth the wait.

In the mean time I've been doing some stunts and temp direct drives to play with till I'm my sled design is sound..lol. Even my stunts are a little elaborate, but I would like to make a bare utilitarian one I could literally chuck around.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I voted for simple tool. I have a couple of sabers that sit on the shelf and look pretty, but I have two everyday play sabers that are my favorites. I like your phrase, "real world weathering" to describe them. They've been handled, banged around, and dueled with, and I don't mind if they get a scratch on them. It just adds to their character.

I built an MHS based Obi-Wan TPM last year that I tried to make pristine, and I had to handle it with gloves on so I wouldn't get scratches or fingerprints on it before I sent it to the customer. That was no fun IMO. I like a saber I can play with. YMMV.

ArkaiHalon
03-12-2010, 11:36 AM
i'm personally a fan of theme sabers. Not so much batman or lotr, but a saber that is built with a back story in mind.

Every saber i've built, I did a brief backstory on it's owner before I built it.
Sometimes, those backstories can be elaborate (ask Eastern57 what I mean)

When I build the saber, I follow that theme.

Shadar Al'Niende
03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
i voted theme but i am meaning something more theme based in general...even if it does include starwars. I LOVE peoples takes on what anakin's saber would look like if he retained it after Mustafar, or if Jawas carried sabers... VERY creative...

Crimsonjedi
03-12-2010, 03:26 PM
THAT is what I'm planning!! ;-)

Found out a couple weeks ago something my company publishes is going to be in the GL movie being made. Inspired me to think of combining my newest childish hobby (sabers) with one of my oldest (comics). I'm a total geek.

Curious to see yours when it is done. Perhaps we can start a Green Lantern Jedi Corps group? :-)

sounds cool about the movie. looking forward to it. I will try to put up some picks when it is ready. after that I might have to to make the Red Lantern Sith Corps saber.

Crystal Chambers
03-13-2010, 02:10 AM
i voted theme but i am meaning something more theme based in general...even if it does include starwars. I LOVE peoples takes on what anakin's saber would look like if he retained it after Mustafar, or if Jawas carried sabers... VERY creative...

Thanks for clarifying your reasoning in how you chose to categorized your vote. I would have called that replica but on the alternate outcome side of things. Of course it's all subjective and open to interpretation.

I love the backstory idea in general. It justifies a reason for a creative variation of replicas, and gives any saber more character IMO.

I really like how this thread has/is turned/turning out. Just when I think one category is out numbering another I come back and see it shift. Every aspect of saber building is so inspiring and challenging and you guys are awesome!:D

KuroChou
03-13-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm an in between guy.
I prefer sabers with character, that aren't necessarily bling-ed out.
I'm more Old Republic in most of my preferences and it shows in my saber style.
A good saber for me, is very notably unique, and tailored to the particular user; but still simple and militant. More of a neutral force perspective.
That said, I definitely appreciate earthy or racial embellishments like wood, leather, bone, horn and the like. Anything that can tell a story.

Lawrs1
03-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree to an extent that it depends on the reason the saber was built for, but personally, I like all types of sabers, as in my opinion they all have individual qualities which make them stand out.

But maybe I'm just weird that way :)

Sairon
03-20-2010, 09:24 AM
I tend to go more elaborate for my sabers, lol look at Itami Innin (sig saber) it isn't overly special but still has it's level of "ornate" with shrouds and engraving. Any saber can look great, plain or covered in blinkys.