PDA

View Full Version : Another sound card option?

Cantina Chef
03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
I was scanning Ebay the other day and came across this toy lightsaber. I never saw them before and checked out the home page and they are wicked cheap...I thought the sound was pretty decent, it had motion, clash, and a annoying color changing upon clash. Anyone ever see one of these sabers before? I ordered one to gut it and take a look. Just wondering if anyone else has any experiece with this saber or it's electronics.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz3-4CVOR4o&feature=player_embedded

cardcollector
03-02-2010, 06:28 PM
need more info...
manufacturer for example...

Cantina Chef
03-02-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.bongoflashers.net/

This is where I found them.

cardcollector
03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
hmmm, 3.75 a piece, minimum order is 20.
That's a lot of $$$ for some things that may or may not work.

dunno, could be great, couuld be bad...

Cantina Chef
03-02-2010, 06:54 PM
only ordered 1 from ebay not 20....that would just be crazy :) but if they work great $75 bucks for 20 sound cards ain't bad...although $75 bucks for a TCSS sound card by Tim would be better :)

DragonStar
03-02-2010, 07:32 PM
My favorite part about that video is how he hits the table too hard and the saber dies.

Goltar Bias
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Not exactly confidence induceing for anyone who might want to duel.

Darth Quin
03-03-2010, 03:37 AM
I got the saber at an event in the area and after my 5 yr old broke the blade I was going to give his saber sound. easy to use took it from two switches to only a latching put it in the saber all hooked up and started to play with it, that is when the problems happened. The led would not stay on after a few swings just would die out and after about a min the sound went out. Still trying to make it work. hope you have better luck.

Cantina Chef
03-03-2010, 07:22 AM
yeah that was my favorite part of the vidio too :) Well thanks for the imput everyone. Hope i have better luck with it...only time will tell...I guess i cant expect much for four dollars :rolleyes:

Skottsaber
03-03-2010, 10:40 AM
As you parry and thrust the authentic sounds of a Star Wars light saber will emanate from your trusty sword.

Authentic sounds? Err.....

xl97
03-03-2010, 11:31 AM
anyone got PICS of this board though? Id liek to see it?

Thanks..

Im wondering if securing the board better form vibration would help? seems like a physical 'break/problem with the boards? wires breaking off? components?

Cantina Chef
03-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I will take pics and post them as soon as i get the saber and break it down. hopefully any day now...all depends on ups

Novastar
03-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Not exactly confidence induceing for anyone who might want to duel.LOL @ that too!!

And... seriously, what the HECK is going on... it changes colors every time you thwack it on something?!?!??! WTS?!??!?!

Yes... that's just great... and it's just what the DIY saber community needs--a saber with a bloody identity crisis & paranoia: it changes colors constantly, because it's not sure who you are... nor whether it's a "good guy" or a "bad guy", hahahah. Nice.

Cantina Chef
03-04-2010, 08:28 AM
it's funny...on the ebay page that i purchased it it said in the description it changes blade color upon impact so when dueling your enemy will be confused and disorientated....really? :)

Dakarn
03-04-2010, 01:07 PM
it's funny...on the ebay page that i purchased it it said in the description it changes blade color upon impact so when dueling your enemy will be confused and disorientated....really? :)

When it turns pink, they'd be shocked and surprised! ;)

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes... that's just great... a saber with a bloody identity crisis & paranoia: it's not sure... whether it's a "good guy" or a "bad guy", hahahah.

Hmmm that sounds a lot like Anakin himself in ROTS eh? lol:

I have to laugh at colour changing to confuse your enemies...oh that Order 66 youngling Temple scene in ROTS comes to mind:

*snap-hisssss...Ani's saber colour changes from blue to red*

"Master Skywalker why did your blade turn red? You arent a Sith are you? Oh we're so confused now Master Skywalk...urgh..."

*ka-plop*

lol, or maybe Obi on Mustafar:

"Anakin...your saber turned red...I will do what I must!...

*swoosh/flash/clash/duel,duel,duel...*

"Ani...your saber turned blue again my brother...welcome back to the light side of the Fo..."

*colour changes again...stab*

"Oh...bantha poodo...*

*dies*

lol

There are lots of cheapo-Chinese toys out there that might make vaguely saber-ISH sounds out there but when you've spent 100 or more on a MHS or custom hilt it seems a shame to put a cheap $5 toy soundboard in it...maybe if you were building a whole BUNCH of PVC sabers for a kids BDay party or something these would be worthwhile...but I'd want to at least use a Hasbro 'economy' for a NON 'disposable' metal saber like most of our sabers are...just imo.

Goltar Bias
03-04-2010, 10:00 PM
There are lots of cheapo-Chinese toys out there that might make vaguely saber-ISH sounds out there but when you've spent 100 or more on a MHS or custom hilt it seems a shame to put a cheap $5 toy soundboard in it...maybe if you were building a whole BUNCH of PVC sabers for a kids BDay party or something these would be worthwhile...but I'd want to at least use a Hasbro 'economy' for a NON 'disposable' metal saber like most of our sabers are...just imo.

I second this statement I currently cant afford the realy nice sound cards but I wish I could. Still I wouldn't go cheaper then the hasbro boards. Just wouldn't feel right, would be like putting a glass replica diamond in a solid gold setting.

FenderBender
03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Im thinking these may BE hasbro boards. Sort of a KNOCK OFF copy of one. If you listen closely to that vid, the swings are just faster versions of the sith FX.

Cantina Chef
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Hmmm that sounds a lot like Anakin himself in ROTS eh? lol:

I have to laugh at colour changing to confuse your enemies...oh that Order 66 youngling Temple scene in ROTS comes to mind:

*snap-hisssss...Ani's saber colour changes from blue to red*

"Master Skywalker why did your blade turn red? You arent a Sith are you? Oh we're so confused now Master Skywalk...urgh..."

*ka-plop*

lol, or maybe Obi on Mustafar:

"Anakin...your saber turned red...I will do what I must!...

*swoosh/flash/clash/duel,duel,duel...*

"Ani...your saber turned blue again my brother...welcome back to the light side of the Fo..."

*colour changes again...stab*

"Oh...bantha poodo...*

*dies*

lol

Guys i couldn't agree more. None of my personal sabers that i take the time with every intricate detail would have anything less than an fx board, U.S. and even a Sabersound 1.0 (which i know people have issues with but coupled with a 3w led driver and directly soldering a battery pack does make a great sounding and looking saber in my opinion) However I'm sure i'm not the only one with plenty of nieces and nephews who are knocking on thier door for a custom saber to fight with who aren't old enough to appreciate the "real" difference between sound boards but they know plastic from metal. IF i could save $15-$50 every saber i built them, the more sabers i can build and the more parts i can buy from Tim :) Besides, am i the only one who hates the sound of the cheap hasbro boards? (minus the 2010 models) those sound much better. And on a final note, Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie can't be the only one stocking us up for the Zombie appocolypse ;) He will need many soldiers.

Cantina Chef
03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Ok so ups showed up and they sent me three sabers for the price of one...nice bonus... The color changing is a seperate button. There is power up sounds, and power down sounds. There is clash sounds, and there is the idle humm. and it all sounds good. ok so now the bad news... the idle humm and swoosh sounds are mixed together. so it is a hum with swoosh swooshes that loop in a pattern. NO INDEPENDENT SWOOSH SENSOR! Wicked bumber :( but oh well. For those of you who want i will still gut one and post pictures but as for a new cheap sound option in my opinion....I vote NAY

Cantina Chef
03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
So here it is.

Skottsaber
03-05-2010, 01:16 PM
What a MESS!

The possibility of shorting on that thing is almost guaranteed!
can you see what does which thing, and also provide a better (cleaner) recording of those sounds?

Are the sensors off-board? What mechanism do they use?

Cantina Chef
03-05-2010, 01:58 PM
better sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ1ozyp63Kw

Components:
2 resistors...one to negative battery connection and one to leds
1 board mounted clash sensor
2 mom switches one for light one for sound
4 Leds yet only three colors RBG
something not postitve on what it is but has written on it:
Rubycon 10v 22uF YXA....connected to positive battery terminal and board...capacitor?
and one speaker

Skottsaber
03-06-2010, 12:11 AM
They DO Sound like the FX swings....

Thanks for the vid.

TroyO
03-06-2010, 03:07 PM
That one marked 10v 22uf is almost certainly a capacitor.