PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Help...

DarthTalon
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
ok, so i'm currently working on a custom Darth Talon saber for my Celebration V costume, i bought a basic Luxeon III LED saber from Ultra Sabers, and proceeded to gut it and begin reworking it. i found a Yoda Force Fx saber at a bookstore for dirt cheap (really, they practically gave it to me), and decided i wanted to take the sound components from it and install them into my Talon saber. everything was going great, until i realized the speaker is just a hair too big... the opening to the hilt is about 26cm, and the speaker is 29cm. is there an alternative? the specs for the premium speaker for sale on this site state 28cm diameter which is still too big. i just really wouldn't know where to look for a smaller speaker, and i don't want to sacrifice sound quality. help please?!?

Sunrider
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Look at these. There are some good ones for there size. Below 28mm there are not as many choices.
http://www.regalusa.com/high_power_miniature_speakers.html

DarthTalon
03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
that is super helpful! i did a bunch of searches, but couldn't find anything specific. But this has really helped steer me in the right direction, i really appreciate it!

carmen

Caine Drathul
03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Basic saber from Ultra? What model? There are lots of 'basic' sabers that are offered.

You also may want to consider looking at parts here to make another basic saber...plus you can get the proper speaker to fit into your build.

KuroChou
03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
My entire saber is 1" ID, except the back end, right beneath the pommel cap, where I machined it out to fir the premium speaker. Even without a resonance chamber, it sounds great.

DarthTalon
03-02-2010, 08:49 AM
What model? There are lots of 'basic' sabers that are offered.

You also may want to consider looking at parts here to make another basic saber...plus you can get the proper speaker to fit into your build.

The model is "the rifter", i like this specific model for a couple of reasons. 1)it's one long tube, 2) it's very light, and if you know what the Talon saber looks like, once i build the actual body, it won't be so light anymore, 3)the length is perfect, at 11+ inches it's spot on with the length of hers....

the bottom line is that when i started, i didn't intend to put sound in it, but then i realized just how amazing this thing is going to be when it's complete, after all, it's my baby, and i got kind of sad that it didn't have sound-and every good saber deserves sound. So i'll find the speakers i need to fit this one.

TroyO
03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Here's a link that (I think) will pull up the 28mm speakers on DigiKey

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=720966&k=speaker%2028mm

Jedi-Loreen
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd use one of the first 3 on that page. They are all 8 ohms and 1W and they aren't too thick.

TroyO
03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeppers... actually, my very top pick would be the CLS0282MA-L152 one...

.5 to 1w is plenty, the freq response is pretty good... and perhaps the best is that the SPL is higher. Higher SPL = more volume with the same input....

DarthTalon
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
you guys (and girls) rule, i love this site! it's so awesome to have such an amazing knowledge base right here at my fingertips! i have spent hours on end reading threads that are completely unrelated to what i'm doing now, but i'm completely fascinated by the amount of information and experience available on this site!! i'm so used to doing things completely alone, and this is almost overwhelming, to have a community this large full of people who are willing to share information!

thanks again for all the help!:D

Shadar Al'Niende
03-02-2010, 07:18 PM
you guys (and girls) rule, i love this site! It's so awesome to have such an amazing knowledge base right here at my fingertips! I have spent hours on end reading threads that are completely unrelated to what i'm doing now, but i'm completely fascinated by the amount of information and experience available on this site!! I'm so used to doing things completely alone, and this is almost overwhelming, to have a community this large full of people who are willing to share information!

Thanks again for all the help!:d

qft!!!

Novastar
03-03-2010, 04:18 AM
you guys (and girls) rule, i love this site! it's so awesome to have such an amazing knowledge base right here at my fingertips! i have spent hours on end reading threads that are completely unrelated to what i'm doing now, but i'm completely fascinated by the amount of information and experience available on this site!! i'm so used to doing things completely alone, and this is almost overwhelming, to have a community this large full of people who are willing to share information!

thanks again for all the help!:DThis kind of quote is what makes it WORTH answering questions and helpin' others on TCSS, FX, etc.

Much oblige to YOU... and you're also welcome.

The key with the LED saber community is / has been / hope it stays that way: PAY IT FORWARD. Everyone got help @ one point... so I say you then gotta give back too. :D

DarthTalon
03-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I would love to be able to share any knowledge i have with you all! not that i think i have much to bring to the table, but i will totally keep my eyes peeled for any areas i'm able to help with!

and really, i mean what i said. it was kind of intimidating to ask my elementary questions on this forum full of experts, but my questions were answered quickly and no one was condescending... i'm stoked to be a part of this community!