PDA

View Full Version : Rhyen Skytracker's Mando Costume

Rhyen Skytracker
02-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Here is my first attempt at making a mando costume. I have most of my armor painted except for the knees and back plate. I am still waiting for my helmet to get here, it should be here any day now. Here are pics of what I have so far. (My wife says it looks like a Hot Wheel with a racing stripe.) LOL

$tarkiller
02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Looks really good, Wade.

Kal El Rah
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Macho Mando Man.............................................;) :cool:

Do-Clo
02-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Macho Mando Man.............................................;) :cool:
LOL

Looking good Redneck

strengthofrage
02-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Looks good! I like the color combo :) ...now you just need to get in a fight while wearing it, get a little battle damage ;)

Rhyen Skytracker
02-28-2010, 07:34 AM
That is why it still looks shiny and new, I do get in fights but I am good enough that I don't get hit. hehe I never have understood that. If you take good care of your armor and are good enough to not get hit by blaster fire then why is everyones armor all beat up? LOL

strengthofrage
03-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Touche Salesman ;)

Crystal Chambers
03-01-2010, 06:41 AM
That is why it still looks shiny and new, I do get in fights but I am good enough that I don't get hit. hehe I never have understood that. If you take good care of your armor and are good enough to not get hit by blaster fire then why is everyones armor all beat up? LOL

They wanna be like Boba..lol...and he died in his only action scene by accident.

JamoUp
03-01-2010, 09:18 AM
They wanna be like Boba..lol...and he died in his only action scene by accident.

Boba Died? He fell into the Sarlac, but certainly did not die. The EU tells us so.

As for the beat up armor, the Mandies are very family oriented. They would take parts of their fallen family members' armor and wear it in remembrance. So, they were good enough not to be hit, but then did get hit, died, and now their kid or cousin or brother or mom now wears that bit of armor. Some pieces could be generations old.

I'm working on a helmet with a backstory lightsaber burn given to my ancestor by Darth Malak back when we called him Alek "squint" Squinquargesimus.

Crystal Chambers
03-02-2010, 06:25 AM
hmm...neat I need more exposure to EU.

I hate to side track but can't help it....Boba..armed with a blaster jumps to point blank range of Luke. Dumb! Lucky to not loose his arms. Oh wait! Then he binds Luke who is not only armed with a sword but a lightsaber. After two of the most idiotic attempts a blinded Han Solo hits his jet pack and he's off to what many would believe was his death.

I guess mando fans are all about EU..lol

Cool story on the armour. I did quickly browse wookiepedia on the topic but not enough time to get into it.

Jedi-Loreen
03-02-2010, 09:15 AM
George Lucas himself has said that if he'd known that Boba Fett was going to become such a popular character, he wouldn't have killed him in that manner, it would have been something more befitting the character.

That's probably one of the reasons he ends up in a series of EU novels surviving and eventually escaping the Sarlaac. But he does not do so unscathed.

Check out "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" and "The Mandalorian Armor".

To throw Rhyen's thread further off track, here's one of the worst Boba Fett costumes I've ever seen:

http://www.armyofmom.com/4-29-06%20pickle%20faux%20boba%20fett.jpg

Looks like he's got a belt and armor sized for a kid. :shock:

Goltar Bias
03-02-2010, 09:35 AM
I think evey thing that guy is weqaring is a kids costume except the helmet. Rather creepy.

Crystal Chambers
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I see it fine....he stole the kids costume..lol

Rhyen did you make the armour too or just the paint? I found out about custom lightsabers when researching armour and got sidetracked...I wanna try jedi/sith and rebel armour with sintra now though.

Alcfalath
03-04-2010, 07:38 PM
ive seen worse J-lo... :( much worse:(

Rhyen Skytracker
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
That is very scary that you have seen worse than that. LOL

@Crystal Chambers No I didn't make that set, but I am making the leg armor for it. I already have the thigh plates and am working on the shin armor. You can get sintra at US Plastics for a decent price.

chase
03-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Looking good. I like the white stripe on there so much more than just the black and red that you had. Really makes it stand out.

Rhyen Skytracker
03-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Thanks, I think the white stripes made a huge difference too. I am already working on my next set of armor and this set is not even complete yet. LOL

Rhyen Skytracker
03-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Here is my helmet after I finished painting it. I still have to put the T-Visor in and put the voice amp and EL wire.

Lawrs1
03-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Very nice Rhyen, You have done a good job with that

Skottsaber
03-23-2010, 05:29 AM
ive seen worse J-lo... :( much worse:(

At celebration IV in London there was a large trend towards slave Leia costumes. It was pretty cool at first, but then came the fat one..... I'll leave the rest to imagination...........

And I think that kid is laughing at him in that picture.

Back on topic... VERY cool Mando. Not a design I've seen before.

Dakarn
03-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Excellent suit Ryan! Like the helmet!

So when do you think you'll have it assembled enough for photos? I like your color scheme so I'm curious what'll look like assembled.

ArkaiHalon
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Rhyen, your kit's looking great. love your color scheme.

and to answer the question of why Mando Armor is scuffed, dirty, dinged, etc....

In the fiction, Mando's wear their armor every day. All day. some wear is going to occur. Also remember that they collect trophies. Every dent, or scratch is a trophy. A story of battle.

or something like that. ;)

Rhyen Skytracker
03-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Updated pics and video of whole kit. Keep in mind I still have to add the T-Visor to the helmet.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/My%20Mando%20Stuff/Armor/Test%20layout/th_100_2395.jpg (http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/pp242/wadeh13/My%20Mando%20Stuff/Armor/Test%20layout/?action=view&current=100_2395.flv)

Lawrs1
03-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Looks great Wade, you have done a great job with that

$tarkiller
03-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow! Looks really good. I love what you've done with it.

Kal El Rah
03-23-2010, 08:47 PM
Nice Bro, no wonder you're always tired at work" ;) "

ArkaiHalon
03-24-2010, 06:05 AM
you need a red visor. just sayin'

Skottsaber
03-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Due to the fact that the center stripe is black, a black visor would be more... fitting. Don't you think?

Rhyen Skytracker
04-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I upgraded the helmet to include EL wire around the T-Visor, added 2 fans, a voice amp and wireless head set and a flash light on the side.

Jedi-Loreen
04-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Ok, how the heck can you see out of it now? Where the EL wire is around the horizontal part of the T visor, it looks like you now have only a little slit to look out of. :-?

Rhyen Skytracker
04-15-2010, 03:45 AM
Who needs to see out of it when it looks that cool? LOL Just kidding. I made a slight groove all around the helmet where the T-Visor goes so It is only bad in the very corners where the sharp bends are. I can still see pretty good out of it. I haven't seen anyone do this before and you know me, I have to be different. LOL Plus with the EL wire on the outside of the T-Visor the light doesn't' blind me at all either.

Skottsaber
04-15-2010, 09:03 AM
That looks awesome! Just, don't sign up for night ops. You'll be complete target practice, however scary it looks.

$tarkiller
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Who needs to see out of it when it looks that cool? LOL Just kidding. I made a slight groove all around the helmet where the T-Visor goes so It is only bad in the very corners where the sharp bends are. I can still see pretty good out of it. I haven't seen anyone do this before and you know me, I have to be different. LOL Plus with the EL wire on the outside of the T-Visor the light doesn't' blind me at all either.
Aaaaaw come on! Can I get some kudos for the idea? Looks good Wade.

Kal El Rah
04-15-2010, 02:00 PM
$k, You and Rhyen are just making it harder for others to make their helmets better.:rolleyes:

Rhyen Skytracker
04-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Aaaaaw come on! Can I get some kudos for the idea? Looks good Wade.

No you can't. I have had EL wire planned for this helmet for 5 months. So there. LOL

$tarkiller
04-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Mhm. I invented EL. If it weren't for me, you wouldn't have EL to use. Lolness. It really does look good. What size EL did you use?

Skottsaber
04-16-2010, 12:44 PM
So did you use a 'saber style' LED in that light, or is it really a flashlight?

Rhyen Skytracker
04-16-2010, 09:06 PM
The flash light is one of those 9 LED small flash lights. It is the perfect size for this application.

Skottsaber
04-17-2010, 12:42 AM
So does it have a pushbutton switch on the side, or did you reroute it somewhere else, like your gauntlet, for remote switching on?

Jedi-Loreen
04-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Having a remote switch wouldn't be very practical, at least if it involved wiring, and not necessary. I have a couple of these same type of flashlights and they have push buttons on the end caps.

Rhyen Skytracker
04-17-2010, 06:58 AM
J-Lo is correct. It would not be too practical to have a remote switch for that. It does have a push button switch on the back of it. I used a scope ring and rail system to mount it to the helmet. I also have it so it can tilt the light up or down 15 degrees if needed.

Skottsaber
04-17-2010, 07:03 AM
Ok, cool. It was just a thought, because it would look cool if it came on 'automatically' without you touching your bucket, but endcap switch it cool too.

ArkaiHalon
04-19-2010, 08:40 AM
ok, so what's realy practical about wearing star wars armor in the first place?:-D It's not about practical, it's about cool:cool:.

chase
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
ok, so what's realy practical about wearing star wars armor in the first place?:-D It's not about practical, it's about cool:cool:.

That is the truth.

HAVOK
04-29-2010, 06:56 PM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2200&d=1269386557

so you remember the movie with Fred Savage and Howie Mandel, LIttle Monsters..........

and the lights turned on and the monsters turned to clothes

this is Mando LIttle MOsters!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

No seriesly awesome job on the costume!!!

Rhyen Skytracker
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
LOL Looks like he got ran over with a steam roller.

Causa
05-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Do you guys remember those TV commercials for like the super ear or whatever...a little directional mic with an earpiece?

If I recall correctly the mic and switch was one unit, and the earpiece was another. I think something like that would be perfect for a mando armor. Put the mic in one gauntlet, just make a hole for the toggle button, then put the earpiece in the foam for your helmet.

You have a directional mic in one gauntlet, and a mini led flashlight like that in the other. Or maybe a green laser pointer, for "painting" targets :)

Rhyen Skytracker
05-08-2010, 12:33 PM
In this kit I have the flashlight on the side of the helmet with a push button on the back of it. I have one switch for the fans and another one for the EL wire. I also have a wireless headset with the transmitter inside the helmet and the receiver is in one ammo pouch and the actual amp/speaker is in another pouch (it is a 10W amp) I also have a wire ran down inside my flight suit arm and inside my glove with a push to talk button. So, when I want to talk I just push the button in my glove. It is a great set up and work very well.

Causa
05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Dude that is tech!

I was considering a wireless setup like that for radios, but having a speaker for your speach is even cooler. Does that work with the voice amp or is it one or the other?

Rhyen Skytracker
05-08-2010, 01:12 PM
It works with the voice amp. The set up goes like this. Wireless head set > headset transmiter > heatset receiver > 10W voice amp/speaker. It is VERY loud too. I spoke to a Gymnasium full of kids with it last week and they all could hear me.

Bianchi
06-14-2010, 07:57 AM
The great axiom on armour: no suit of armour is meant to be practical or comfortable - just hard to break/pierce.

and in this case, it's meant to look cool.

Nice colour combo, Rhyen.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Amazing job Rhyen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jedi-Loreen
08-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Slow down on the exclamation marks, kid. :rolleyes:

Or did your key get stuck? :p

jin starkiller
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
really good job on the mando suit ...what material did you use for the helmot and armor

Rhyen Skytracker
08-05-2010, 06:41 PM
The helmet was roto cast by hand (not by me) and the armor is made from sintra (made by me), I got the templates on the mando site.

RuleOfTwo
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Awesome work. Were's a picture of you in the suit? I'd like to see what the whole thing looks like "in 3D". And what is this Mando site you speak of? Care to post a link?

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Iknow I'vealready posted this before and talked to you on Yahoo messenger wade, but awesome mando suit dude! keep up the good work!