PDA

View Full Version : Trumpeting minor (major) Victories!

tullfan81
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm (still) a big guy. I've been a big guy just about my whole life. All through high school, college, for my wedding...I was huge. Its embarrassing to think about. I never really thought too much about it. I was healthy, aside from the weight, and my yearly physicals didn't turn up anything troublesome. Then I went to the doctor last February and stepped on the scale. 420 lbs. That's a lot to love...it was time to get serious. So I dedicated myself to a new, healthier lifestyle. I cut out anything with High-Fructose corn syrup in it, I stopped eating sweets, chips, anything with a high saturated fat content, i got out and walked and became generally more active. Here we are, one year later, and I can proudly say that I have lost just shy of 100lbs. No crazy diets, no pills, no books or tapes, and I didn't have to go on a reality tv show. I did it all by myself, with a ton of support from my loving wife and encouragement from my 5 month old son.

/that's all I got

Et Kin Evenstar
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Wait a minute...you mean you just used a sensible diet and exercise? No pills? No crazy drinks? :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work! I lost about 25 last year and have gained it all back (again). :roll: People like you are an inspiration.

cardcollector
02-26-2010, 05:53 PM
sweet!!!
I'm very impressed with your self discipline. No high fructose corn syrup! I'll bet that was hard.

Good job once again.

tullfan81
02-26-2010, 05:59 PM
sweet!!!
I'm very impressed with your self discipline. No high fructose corn syrup! I'll bet that was hard.

Good job once again.

I take in as little as I possibly can. It is literally in EVERYTHING! I highly recommend that everyone see the film King Corn. It is extremely eye opening.

As a nice little bonus, the wife is letting me spend some money as a reward...i smell a new saber!

Rhyen Skytracker
02-26-2010, 06:19 PM
AWESOME job Rick. I am very impressed. I bet you even feel better too. I myself need to lose around 40 pounds, all this extra weight is starting to affect my health. You are a great inspiration, thanks.

E-relivent
02-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Way to go man!

Novastar
02-28-2010, 03:37 AM
I'm (still) a big guy. I've been a big guy just about my whole life. All through high school, college, for my wedding...I was huge. Its embarrassing to think about. I never really thought too much about it. I was healthy, aside from the weight, and my yearly physicals didn't turn up anything troublesome. Then I went to the doctor last February and stepped on the scale. 420 lbs. That's a lot to love...it was time to get serious. So I dedicated myself to a new, healthier lifestyle. I cut out anything with High-Fructose corn syrup in it, I stopped eating sweets, chips, anything with a high saturated fat content, i got out and walked and became generally more active. Here we are, one year later, and I can proudly say that I have lost just shy of 100lbs. No crazy diets, no pills, no books or tapes, and I didn't have to go on a reality tv show. I did it all by myself, with a ton of support from my loving wife and encouragement from my 5 month old son.

/that's all I got *BRAVI... BRAVI... BRAVIIIIIIIISSIIMI!!!*

:D Seriously, that is bloody awesome! This is something that I personally feel strongly about, which is that even SIMPLE workouts + eating habits/changes can yield strong and powerful results.

Something I've tried to recommend to a good friend of mine (over many years) who smokes... never exercises... has a lot of health issues:

* Don't "quit" smoking overnight... do ONE less cig for 30 days... then one less AGAIN for another 30 days... until--you're maybe down to almost nothing left

* Don't try to do a "1 hour workout" starting from scratch... do 10 pushups NOW/today--and call it at that. Too many? Do one. Tomorrow... do two. Four? But stay consistent. Even if it's as "silly" (which it is NOT SILLY) as doing 5 pushups + 5 situps + 5 jumping jacks a day. It WILL eventually add up, and in time... you'll see that it is too simple for you... and step it up.

* Don't solely do "boring" workouts... try something as silly/childish as get on the "monkey bars" at a playground. Or throw some punches and/or kicks (doesn't matter the "technique"). Go throw a tennis ball against a wall and catch it for 10(?) minutes. Turn on your LED saber and go all "Star Wars kid" for a while!!

The only problem... I don't know if he's taken even a BIT of my "silly" advice... :(

But either way... your story is inspiring! Share it with as many folks as you can!!!